Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tales from the Borderlands

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 25, 2014

A spin-off of the Borderlands series of first-person shooters, Tales from the Borderlands is an episodic adventure game where a reluctant group of civilians try to strike it rich in the hostile world of Pandora.

Just finished this today

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By NeverGameOver

Picked the whole season up for $8.49 on the steam sale, and finished it within 3 days. I'm not that into the Telltale stuff anymore and I've never played a single Borderlands game but holy shit man, highly recommended. Both the VO work (Laura Bailey, Troy Baker, Chris Hardwick, Ashley Johnson, Patrick Warburton, Nolan North) and the writing in this are top notch. It's a damn shame that nobody on the staff has played it (aside from Austin playing the first episode, which I think is the weakest of the bunch)

I would have nominated this under:

Best styyyyle (those intro sequences, man)

Best soundtrack

Best new character: (Loaderbot)

What did you guys think?

.....Catch a riiiiide

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By citizencoffeecake

I got it on PSN when it was $3.50 or something crazy and finished it a few days ago, really enjoyed it even though I was unsure since Tell Tale's Game of Thrones left a bad taste in my mouth. It had me laughing and the opening credits of each episode were awesome (re: STYYYYYYLE). I'm also sad Loaderbot didn't get any appreciation in the best new character so I basically agree with everything you are saying with the exception of the soundtrack which was fine and fitting but didn't stand out too much to me (some good songs that I assume were licensed?).

While Game of Thrones left off on a massive cliff hanger that made me angry this one just wrapped up nicely and I would still be satisfied if they never did a sequel. The worst part about it is that it's still that Tell Tale formula of making choices that don't really matter with the exception the fate of a couple characters.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

It balances drama and humor super well, has characters who are likable and a script that is well-written! So... basically nothing like Borderlands 1, 2 and Pre-Sequel. It's my favorite of Telltale's current crop of barely-interactive "adventure games" at this point and it's a pity it was given the short end of the stick in this year's GB GOTY deliberations.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I thought it was genuinely funny and even heartwarming in spots. I had just about given up on TellTale games after playing Game of Thrones, but I'm glad I took the chance on this. It ended up as one of my favorite games of the year.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Also picked it up during the Steam sale and completed it twice since. Definitely my favorite from TTG by far. The action scenes are choreographed really well, all of the characters are great one way or another, and the humor works, at least for me. And yeah, heartwarming is a pretty spot on description for some of the more emotional moments of the game.

Weirdly enough, this made me kinda get into Borderlands proper. Before that I played maybe 10 hours of BL1 and 2 combined. But after I finished TftB, I picked up the pre-sequel just because I wanted more from those characters, and I'm now close to finishing that.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Cirdain

I'd also put it as biggest surprise. At no point did I think you could get a story that interesting from that universe and I thought I was getting fatigue with the P&I genre. Also best moment the accountant scene or opening credits of ep5 or the first time you realise loader bot is amazing or when your falling of that really really high catwalk or... its pretty good.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my favorite games of the year. Left me with a big smile after I finished it.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

For me this is the game that finally toppled The Walking Dead S 1 as the best Teltale Game. Played it twice because the story was incredibly enjoyable. I think the thing that made this work over other recent TTG was the pacing, the pacing for this game was the best of any Telltale game.

Loaderbot was the best character of the year, anyone that played this game will tell you this. So feel good in being enlightened in a way that people that haven't played this game aren't ^.^

I had no expectations for this at all, I was down on TellTale games and Game Of Thrones was pretty awful... but this actually ended up being my favorite game of the year. This is one of the best buddy movies I've ever watched. Every character was incredibly well written and were all likeable in someway... even handsome jack, who was cartoony evil still but was given a few subtle caveats which made you empathize with him at times, that shit is just good writing yo!

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Yeah it's really good. Couldn't put it down once I'd started it. As you say, should have been considered for best music and best new character.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By SMTDante89

I should make time to play though this in one go since I played through each episode as they were released. I think it would be nice to play through it all and have a majority of my choices fresh in my memory instead of having to remember a few little things here and there as I played a new episode. Still my favorite game of 2015 though just a great "feel good" kind of game.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I'm with you. It's a great game and handily made my Top 10 list.

Also Loaderbot should definitely have at least been a runners-up for best new character. I could even see Rhyse making that list.

The worst part about it is that it's still that Tell Tale formula of making choices that don't really matter with the exception the fate of a couple characters.

True, but at least they are trying to subvert expectations (by including choices that don't matter on purpose for some great jokes) and playing around with the whole "X will remember this" mechanic quite a bit. It's smart.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sessh said:

@citizencoffeecake said:

The worst part about it is that it's still that Tell Tale formula of making choices that don't really matter with the exception the fate of a couple characters.

True, but at least they are trying to subvert expectations (by including choices that don't matter on purpose for some great jokes) and playing around with the whole "X will remember this" mechanic quite a bit. It's smart.

Yes you are right they had several of those that were really funny, apparently if you skip the credits (maybe in episode 2?) it will say "TellTale Games will remember that", do it in the next episode and it's something like "Seriously!? People worked hard on these!

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea grabbed it on the PSN sale as well, and its one of my favorite games of the year. could have easily been a strong contender for best STYLEEEEEEE

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

It's safely the best Telltale game since The Walking Dead season 1. Several cast members could have been up for Best New Character (Fiona, Loaderbot, Rhys). The opening sequences would have likely made my favorite moments of the year list (episode 4 being my favorite). Without a doubt worth the under $10 asking price it has been going for lately during end of the year sales.

The only two real complains I had about it were a) Telltale is getting a little too safe with the formula they use for these games and b) that engine is bad need of an overhaul to fix the hitching problem that seems to plague every Telltale game.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

@sessh said:

@citizencoffeecake said:

Yes you are right they had several of those that were really funny, apparently if you skip the credits (maybe in episode 2?) it will say "TellTale Games will remember that", do it in the next episode and it's something like "Seriously!? People worked hard on these!

I'm pretty sure I skipped the credits on most episode, but I didn't notice that. Anyway that's pretty good.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Ya, it was really good. It's a shame The Game of Thrones one is not nearly as good and that I didn't get to this one until recently. Of the two this is actually the one to play.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

If I was doing an awards thing, Tales from the Borderlands would be in an out and out fight with Contradiction for Best Ensemble Of Characters. Sasha, Fiona, Rhys, and Loaderbot are all fantastic.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best Moment: Business Gun Shootout Sequence

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spoonman671 said:

Best Moment: Business Gun Shootout Sequence

Ah yeah that was great, especially because that sequence was being set up the entire season as what I tought was a throwaway recurring gag, what a pay off! Reminded me of one of the finest moments from Spaced.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Best moment: Rhys trying to save the day by crying at the end of the final episode

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Monkeyman04

One of my favorite games to come out in 2015. I loved everything about it. All the title sequences were top notch! I loved the gun-finger battle, but I think the one thing that had me have a shit-eating-grin the whole time was the Power Rangers-esque battle with the vault monster.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weirdly enough, this made me kinda get into Borderlands proper. Before that I played maybe 10 hours of BL1 and 2 combined. But after I finished TftB, I picked up the pre-sequel just because I wanted more from those characters, and I'm now close to finishing that.

The same happened to me. I had beaten BL2 before, but was kinda idling with TPS. Playing through Tales and seeing what a badass Athena is spurred me on to complete that game (though now I'm stuck near the end because of a bug). One thing I really like about TPS is that the playable characters seem to comment a lot more during story beats and I hope that the next main BL game picks up on that. Messing around in BL2 was almost a little empty after that since the characters don't really say much outside of combat callouts.

robbparris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm so glad to see this thread. I too completed this game only yesterday, and had considered making a thread very much like this. Game totally surprised me for just how good it is. Had some genuinely surprising twists and turns, and a story that made me want to keep on playing.

My only complaint is there was a fair few graphical glitches I ran into, like people teleporting forward a few inches. Didn't stop my enjoyment however.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By ShaggE

I just picked this up, and I'm downloading/getting ready to play the final episode now.

Holy shit, I'm blown away. I kind of fell off of Telltale once they started going so hard on the Quantic Dream-lite model of games ad nothing was matching up to Walking Dead Season 1. Pained me to do so, as I was an early supporter and fan of Telltale, but I feel like the Universal deal took them in a direction I didn't like much.

But I've been on a Borderlands kick as of late, and the PSN sale made it too cheap to ignore. I came in expecting nothing (I don't play Borderlands for, you know, the plot. I like Handsome Jack and Claptrap and all that, but... yeah) and now all I want is a second season. I'm officially changing my 2014 GOTY pick.

Edit: Just finished it. Goddamn, you guys. Got a mite bit corny a couple of times, but didn't stop the room from getting a little dusty anyway. I went from not giving a damn about the Borderlands fiction to wanting to absorb as much of it as I can. By god, it even made me care about a Pre-Sequel character that wasn't Jack. I know I'm gushing, but it was THAT good.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FrodoBaggins

@shagge: yeah, game is fucking awesome. A bunch of really great characters, good writing, some great music, and some absolutely killer opening title sequences. What a game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.