Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tales from the Borderlands

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 25, 2014

A spin-off of the Borderlands series of first-person shooters, Tales from the Borderlands is an episodic adventure game where a reluctant group of civilians try to strike it rich in the hostile world of Pandora.

Vault of the Traveller [Episode 5] Discussion Thread (MAJOR EPISODE/SERIES SPOILERS AHEAD)

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By SMTDante89

Man, what a ride this was. The second finale of an episodic adventure series to come out today, and it's all come to this. Quite a few different ways one part of this episode could go depending on some of your choices up to this point for sure. Were you satisfied with your options when it came to building a team, and who did you choose to fight the final battle with you? How about the reveal of the stranger who's interrogated you throughout the series, did you figure it out or were you way off base?

First, here's my choices:

No Caption Provided

For the team building part, I actually had every option available to me except for the Vault Hunters that you could pay to join you, which surprised me a bit. I was fairly conservative with my money outside of purchasing the outfits for the Helios trip. Ultimately, I chose Zer0, Athena and Janey (speaking of, the dialogue between Athena and Janey is pretty great) for my team, and I'll likely play through this episode again to see how some of the other interactions work out. I would imagine the dialogue between Fenix, Fiona and Sasha would be pretty good, and may provide some closure to that whole ordeal.

I wondered about the Stranger's identity for a while, and at one point thought it might have been Loader Bot, but I think that was pretty low on my list of suspects. It was also pretty touching why he brought everyone together, after he learned the truth as to what he perceived as a betrayal.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a few things with the episode now, but I really enjoyed it, as well as the series as a whole. I wonder if there will be another season for this further down the road or is this it until Borderlands 3? It did end on a bit of a cliffhanger, but at the same time I felt everything wrapped up rather nicely. I do hope we at least see a few cameos in future games, but I had a fun ride with everyone here. Definitely a contender for GOTY for me now.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Shot Finch, told Rhys to shut up, didn't ship (ugh), spared Jack, and agreed to leave Sasha alone

Thrilled that they managed to (Vault Hunter spoiler) put Clap Trap in the game AND didn't force you to see him. Hate that fucking robot, but glad they were in it.

I honestly thought the game was going to wrap up after the reveal of the stranger, then when they made the plan and let you select your team, I was like "Fuck yes." I picked Zero and Athena because they had vault hunting experience and August because he seemed capable enough.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

My choices:

No Caption Provided
    I went with Zer0 and Athena, given that they're experienced Vault hunters. Then I went with Cassius, I thought it would be good to have someone knowledgeable.
    I went with Zer0 and Athena, given that they're experienced Vault hunters. Then I went with Cassius, I thought it would be good to have someone knowledgeable.

I definitely didn't expect things to go all Mass Effect 2 / One Must Fall in the end.

Anyway, this is a game of the year candidate for me (at the moment, it's up there with SOMA and Undertale), lots of genuinely funny moments, and certainly some heartfelt ones too. Maybe some questionable moments too; but, hey, what's a Borderlands game without questionable moments?

Like with most Telltale games, I really wish they released the episodes on a more consistent schedule - this series started close to a year ago. Also, this has also made me excited for a new Borderlands shooter, which I'm sure will happen...

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I liked it overall, but that "shoot the gas tank" moment pissed me off something fierce. Also, that weird deus ex machina moment near the end really threw the whole thing off.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really liked this episode. The way they implemented your choices during the "pick your team" part was clever. Every story and character arc wrapped up in a satisfying way. The funny moments were funny, (Rhys flipping off digi-Jack as he's running for the escape pod cracked me up a lot,) the emotional moments hit me in the feels, (Sasha and Loader Bot's deaths-but-not-really seems cliched and ridiculous on paper but worked somehow,) and the action moments were exciting as always.

This series is definitely going on my Game of the Year list come December.

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just finished the chapter and man what a ride. The Sasha/Rhys ship percentage is now up well over 80% (I contributed...) and the vault hunter ??? choice is down below 20%. Looks really interesting.

Favorite moment in funny had to be the fight stick reveal and what amounted to a fighting game sequence with multiple references to Street Fighter moves. Especially enjoyed the spinning pile driver. Not sure if that was linked to any characters specifically although it was both Janey and Cassius who performed most of those moves for me.

I also saw immediately what was about to take place when the text on the back of the "watch" was revealed. As much as deus ex machina can often suck I think it's refreshing to see a game keep things a little bit light in the face of such a terrible world.

This is one of my favorite games this year and I hope that we can see this kind of quality storytelling continue in future iterations of the franchise.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I kind of feel bad that the dumb power rangers/street fighter references made me so giddy. I'm glad I picked this up during the Tell Tale sale on Steam. I'd love to see more, and I've never really been a big Borderlands fan. This thing did manage to convince me to go buy the Handsome Collection though, which probably means something. Kind of hope Fiona ends up as an actual vault hunter in Borderlands 3 or something. She's pretty cool.

Also, did I read somewhere that this is "season 1" of Tales of the Borderlands? Are there plans to do more? I'd be down for that.

CivilizedWorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@mindbullet: The episode kind of ends on a cliffhanger, they disappear when they open the vault chest. So it's either the beginning of a season 2 or an attempt to make you buy Borderlands 3 to find out about those characters.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I had my heart set on Fiona. I think her and Rhys would have made a great couple. Best Tell Tale game since The Wolf Amongst Us.

Vyniir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Highly enjoyed this episode. I thought it wrapped up in a nice and satisfying way, with a good balance between emotional and comedic moments. I'm really looking forward to more from the Borderlands series as a whole now, even after the lacklustre Pre-Sequel.

The whole Power Rangers/ Fighting Game section put me in such a happy place. As for choices, I went with Zer0, Athena and Cassius for my team, and chose to ship Rhys and Sasha.

Loader Bot is the bestest.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By InternetDotCom

As someone who hated a lot of humor in the Borderlands games and didn't care about the universe at all going in I am stunned how good this whole thing was. The gaps between episodes I thought was insane, but the end product was definitely one of my game of the years.

Did not expect Loader Bot to be one of my favorite characters this year

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By LackingSaint

God, this was sooo fucking good! Like a lot of folks in here, I have zero fondness for Borderlands main-game, but I loved this series to bits. The extended Power Rangers homage actually made me shriek with joy, and was only made that much better by the decision to let you choose most of your squad. I went with August, Athena and Janey; August and Athena because they felt like important characters that needed a good wrap-up, and Janey because she's a sweetheart and kind of a spiritual stand-in for Scooter. Zero was barely in the game so I didn't feel like he really deserved to be in the finale, and I liked Cassius but not enough to replace one of the other dudes. I had no idea Felix could even still be alive.

Pitch-perfect. I can't sing this thing's praises enough.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

The Spinning Piledriver made me laugh out loud and I think the the moment with Rhys trying to cry on Sasha to heal her was one of the most touchingly bittersweet moments in anything. I honestly thought the game was going to be over shortly after the Loader Bot reveal so everything that happened after that was glorious icing on the cake. I'm curious how the Gortys fight sequence changes depending on who you have piloting her. I ended up with Athena, Janey and August because I fucking killed fucking Felix and fucking Cassius and couldn't get Zer0 and was too poor for Claptrap?

I was hoping they were setting Rhys and Fiona to factor in to the plot of Borderlands 3 but given the ending now I'm not so sure. But man, nothing would make me more hype than being able to play as Fiona in a regular Borderlands game (if they upped the story participation of player characters).

CivilizedWorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By CivilizedWorm

@starvinggamer: Each character you bring to the fight gives Gortys different moves. Also spoiler, Cassius does a pretty mean kamehameha.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I feared that Telltale would become a studio of diminishing returns after the first TWD season. However this season is probably their best to date, the final episode was fantastic. A visually striking (I thought this game looked fantastic in general but this episode in particular had some amazing visual design) emotional roller coaster. I think the core strength of the season was summed up during the Sasha 'Death Scene' when Rhys started to try and heal Sasha with his tears, incredibly heartwarming and hilariously delivered in what was a very sobering and sad scene up to that point.

The power ranger homage was a great action sequence and was the best in a series of great action sequences. Never thought the action sequences in a Telltale game would ever be a highlight but this has consistently been the case with this game. Also I'm glad the theme of amazing opening credits ran through out the entire season.

The reveal made sense, the lose ends were tied up nicely, it leaves room for a second season without feeling like an unsatisfying ending.... I replayed all 5 episodes over 3 days and can safely say this is the first Telltale game that didn't suffer any pacing issues. I loved this game.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I loved how this game wrapped up. Loader Bot was amazing. I guess I missed what I could do with Zer0 because I couldn't choose him at the end. Don't even remember having much interaction with him in the first place.

Did anyone else play on Xbox One? Because the ending sequence was running at a solid 10 fps and actually hindered my enjoyment a bit due to skipping around a lot during the heavy action scenes.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@nickhead said:

I guess I missed what I could do with Zer0 because I couldn't choose him at the end. Don't even remember having much interaction with him in the first place.

This is what it says if you can select Zer0:

No Caption Provided

I don't really know how they'd implement it exactly, but there needs to be finger guns in Borderlands 3...

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Milkman

Well, that was a delight.

• Shot Finch in the damn head. Fuck that guy.
    • Told Rhys to shut up.
    • Shipped Rhys and Sasha. Seems like a shitty thing to get the in way of your sister's love life.
    • Destroyed AI Jack
    • Confessed to crushing on Sasha.

For my vault team, I picked Athena, Zero and August.

One thing I appreciated about this series is that it really isn't all about the choices like a lot of these other games. The choices color your story and give it personality but it's not asking you to make agonizing life or death decisions after 15 minutes, which is fine when you can make it work but can just be emotionally exhausting after a while. This was just a super fun romp that the player adds their own flavor to and it's better for it, I think.

As soon as the bandit guy showed up, I knew immediately that it was gonna be Vaughn and thought that was a bit of a lame predictable twist but then the game completely made up for it and knocked me on my ass with the Loader Bot reveal. I don't know about everything else but I, for sure, didn't suspect that at all. The whole end fight scene was great though I don't really get what happened with Sasha at the end there. The watch was some sort of healing device? Why did Felix give that to her? I was very confused. But whatever, pretty much had a smile on my face the entire episode. Great finale, great series. Thumbs up.

I want a game following the adventures of Loader Bot and Gortys now. They're adorable.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#20  Edited By audioBusting

That Time Heals All Wounds joke was pretty good, but what happens if you try to open the box or throw it away earlier? I don't quite remember it but I'm pretty sure that was an option.

The Vaughn reveal is a bit on the nose... who else could have such nice abs. I guess they were going through the list of suspects for who the stranger could be at that point.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

I decided to put up a review of the game after finishing last night. It's spoiler-free, but you can probably guess some of the things I was referencing such as I thought the use of Athena, Springs, and Scooter in the game was really great, while the Mordecai/Brick cameo was rather lame. Not to mention that whole sequence doesn't make a lick of sense if you didn't play the Pre-Sequel (there isn't even a throw-away line as to why Athena is available at the game's end for instance), while pretty much everything else holds up as a self-contained effort.

Considering using Handsome Jack for the third time could have really backfired, I liked his utilization in Tales more than previous games. He plays off of Rhys really well.

It might breach my top 10 games list this year, but there have been so many great games to date I think it'll be on the outside looking in. It's an easy recommendation though, even with my long rant about how inexcusable the engine's hitching is at this point.

Wired_Abyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wired_Abyss

This game was great, I feel really shitty now since I originally thought a Tell Tale Game set in Borderlands sounded terrible, but honestly this is probably my favorite TTG to date.

I hope GBeast play this one day.

I died a little when Loader Bot fist bumped the door.

MeAuntieNora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Finally got around to playing this episode. VERY well done. There was a noticeable ramp-up of production value. Previous episodes looked nice, but this looked markedly better. Their Sam and Max games literally featured a constant "recycling" of art assets as props for gags... that is some of the worst, most distracting shit. But this episode honestly surprised me, by making something that just looks great, without any qualifications.

Not a single second felt wasted. And on top of that, we see how and where all the characters end up, and it feels satisfying. This absolutely seals it as the most creatively successful episodic adventure game so far, in my opinion.

I really liked that folky song over the credits... they've really done a nice job with licensed music in general, but that's probably my favorite song from the series.

Besides that, great wrap-up of the storylines, great twists, 2 or 3 hearty laughs, and a bittersweet feeling to that ending stinger...

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Well, I just finished this and I must say the whole thing, top to bottom was very impressive. Thought this final episode was great, loved the scene with Rhyce taking this implants out, and the final battle and of course LoaderBot!!!!! Best new character 2015.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

I didn't care for the first episode, but very glad I kept going . Because man what a game . Telltales best so far , and in my top 5 of 2015 .

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Just finished it, and I'm pretty sure this is my favorite Telltale game. It still barely has anything resembling "gameplay", the facial animation could be better, and it doesn't even pretend your choices matter that much, but for something with the name "Borderlands" attached to it I enjoyed the writing far more than I thought I would. It might just squeeze its way onto my GOTY list.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Rotnac

I finished this last night after playing one episode per day (waited until all the episodes were out + steam sale to pick it up).

I loved TWD S1 and TWAU but this is by far my favourite Telltale game so far. By the end of it I've become really pumped to see what they do with a Borderlands 3 or TFTB2.

I put it on my GOTY list despite some confusion on whether or not this game is considered a 2015 game or not since Episode 1 came out last year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.