So, how is this?

#1 Edited by mwng (891 posts) -

I mean in comparison to Vesperia. I really liked Vesperia and was wondering if this matched up?

From what I've seen it looks even more cliché than Vesperia was (and Vesperia didn't try awful hard to dodge them...), though the rest of the game had enough charm to pull it off. Combat/character progression systems look pretty similar too, any tweaks there?

It hits the UK during the summer, and while I could probably import it, It'd be nice to have U's in words, and I've got plenty to be getting on with in the meantime. Just looking for some reassurance that it won't be a bit of a letdown.

#2 Posted by SMTDante89 (2481 posts) -

The story itself is pretty cliché (I liked it though), but the gameplay's good and most of the skits got a good laugh out of me.

All of the characters have two sets of moves this time around, A-Artes and B-Artes. Basically, A-Artes are your physical attacks and B-Artes are magic (Cryas in Graces) attacks. As an example, Asbel's A-Artes mainly have his sword sheathed when he attacks and his B-Artes have him unsheathe his sword and allow him to use attacks that have lightning, fire and ice properties, among others.

There isn't a magic gauge this time around either, instead it is replaced by a Chain Capacity meter. What this means is you have a number next to your character's portrait and health at the bottom of the screen which limits how many actions you can perform from attacking to blocking and free-running, but it recharges quickly and there are ways to raise that number (through your weapons and some skills you learn)

Learning skills and abilities is a bit different as well, you learn new skills and upgrade old ones through Titles. Equipped titles give you a specific bonus if you keep it equipped, like in Abyss. In battles, not only do you get EXP for your characters to level up, you also get SP to level up your titles. Each level grants you a new skill/ability/improvement up to level five. You keep these skills even if you unequip the title. You can level up a title one more time to "Mastered" which improves the title-specific ability that the title grants you if you have it equipped.

Those are the main things when it comes to gameplay I guess, hope most of that makes sense without playing the game. It explains things pretty well as you play through it.

#3 Posted by mwng (891 posts) -
@SMTDante89: Great, many many thanks for the explanation!

I'll be sure to look out for it when it hits here later in the year then.
#4 Posted by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

The story is a little cliche but it's also pretty adorable as well (especially the skits) and the combat is fantastic. I think I enjoyed the combat in Graces more than Vesperia. Length-wise, it's pretty similar to Vesperia. I think I completed my first playthrough of Vesperia in about 80 hours and it took around 90 hours to finish Graces, including the extra Future Arc (this is with doing pretty much all the sub events as well as viewing over 95% of the skits, with my party being at around level 85).

#5 Posted by Wheady (106 posts) -

I'm about 40 hours in an really liking it. I highly suggest picking it up when u can, not only is it fun to play but there is a lot of stuff to do in it aside from the main story, great value.

#6 Posted by Mesoian (1570 posts) -

I'm really not a fan of the character design. They seem like generic anime characters. It's enough to make me not want to play it at all.

#7 Posted by Moody_yeti (369 posts) -

Sorry for the silly question but is this actually coming to UK?

As i really like Vesperia and have been wanting to play a new tales game for awhile now?

#8 Posted by xyzygy (9638 posts) -

I'm more hopeful that they localize Xilia.

#9 Posted by mwng (891 posts) -
@Moody_yeti: Comes to the UK this summer, as a PS3 exclusive. I imagine if you enjoyed Vesperia you'll need to pony up for another console, if you haven't already...

@xyzygy: If it does happen, I doubt Europe will see it anytime soon. Though the joys of region free PS3 games are not to be forgotten.
#10 Posted by xyzygy (9638 posts) -
@mwng: That is true, but I like understanding what goes on in my games... lol
#11 Posted by AdzPearson (201 posts) -

@mwng said:

It hits the UK during the summer, and while I could probably import it, I'd be nice to have U's in words

That made me laugh. XD Being a Brit myself, I completely agree. :D

Sounds like it might be a game for me to check out at some point. I haven't played any of the Tales games apart from Tales of Eternia. From what I've heard, I should play more of them.

#12 Posted by mwng (891 posts) -
@AdzPearson: You should definitely pick up Vesperia if you have any interest in the series at all.

Though it's a pain in the arse to find in the UK, still selling for £40-50 on ebay. I think you can download it using the on demand service for a lot less though. Or at least try the demo!
#13 Posted by kerse (2043 posts) -

Its decent, feels a little childish at times though. The combat must not have clicked with me or something though cause I find the bosses to be extremely hard and frustrating, currently losing to Kurt nonstop, he's hitting my characters for like 2000 damage at a time and they all have under 2k except for 2 of them so not really sure whats going on, and when you get hit you're basically stunned for a lengthy time and you can't guard forever or the same happens, heal casts are way too long and item using leaves you unable to do anything for a while as well. I don't have any issues with normal enemies, the bosses are just relentless, maybe I'm underleveled? Does anyone know what level you should be around Kurt, I'm currently 40 ish.

#14 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@kerse said:

Its decent, feels a little childish at times though. The combat must not have clicked with me or something though cause I find the bosses to be extremely hard and frustrating, currently losing to Kurt nonstop, he's hitting my characters for like 2000 damage at a time and they all have under 2k except for 2 of them so not really sure whats going on, and when you get hit you're basically stunned for a lengthy time and you can't guard forever or the same happens, heal casts are way too long and item using leaves you unable to do anything for a while as well. I don't have any issues with normal enemies, the bosses are just relentless, maybe I'm underleveled? Does anyone know what level you should be around Kurt, I'm currently 40 ish.

Are you leveling the right titles? Leveling your character don't mean a damn unless you are advancing your titles to improve your attacks and heal time. Healing only takes a few seconds for me from my girls and it's a pretty big heal.

When I get my ps3 back I'm jumping back in, to be honest i'm near level 40 right now and I'm no where near Kurt. I'm about to the Disapaters. << But then again I'm going for the 'beat these bosses in under a minute' trophies. So if your having trouble with Kurt at 40 then you should be 45+ with appropriate titles levels that give you new arts more health an faster spell casting time.
#15 Posted by kerse (2043 posts) -

@Catolf said:

@kerse said:

Are you leveling the right titles? Leveling your character don't mean a damn unless you are advancing your titles to improve your attacks and heal time. Healing only takes a few seconds for me from my girls and it's a pretty big heal. When I get my ps3 back I'm jumping back in, to be honest i'm near level 40 right now and I'm no where near Kurt. I'm about to the Disapaters. << But then again I'm going for the 'beat these bosses in under a minute' trophies. So if your having trouble with Kurt at 40 then you should be 45+ with appropriate titles levels that give you new arts more health an faster spell casting time.

Yeah been focusing on cutting down cast times mainly for my healers, I think maybe my problem was I was relying on Cheria as the main healer, I switched Sophie to healing at 75% and under and Cheria as 50% and under and used Malik instead of Pascal and had no issues at all on him. Cheria's heals just take too long for too little health but is great at backup healing, kinda surprised it took me so long to realize that.

#16 Posted by Lady_of_the_patriots (73 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

I'm really not a fan of the character design. They seem like generic anime characters. It's enough to make me not want to play it at all.

This is how I felt. Tales of symphonia is still my favorite.

Are the characters boring and typical cookie cutter anime character? Like the Shy girl and the Brave but sort of headstrong guy. Those have been done a thousand times.

#17 Posted by joshth (489 posts) -

So the translated version is PS3 only right? No love for the wii version?

#18 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@kerse said:

@Catolf said:

@kerse said:

Are you leveling the right titles? Leveling your character don't mean a damn unless you are advancing your titles to improve your attacks and heal time. Healing only takes a few seconds for me from my girls and it's a pretty big heal. When I get my ps3 back I'm jumping back in, to be honest i'm near level 40 right now and I'm no where near Kurt. I'm about to the Disapaters. << But then again I'm going for the 'beat these bosses in under a minute' trophies. So if your having trouble with Kurt at 40 then you should be 45+ with appropriate titles levels that give you new arts more health an faster spell casting time.

Yeah been focusing on cutting down cast times mainly for my healers, I think maybe my problem was I was relying on Cheria as the main healer, I switched Sophie to healing at 75% and under and Cheria as 50% and under and used Malik instead of Pascal and had no issues at all on him. Cheria's heals just take too long for too little health but is great at backup healing, kinda surprised it took me so long to realize that.

Ah, I use her as my main healer and next to pascal as main magic(artes) user but it's good you got past it, congrats!

@Lady_of_the_patriots said:

This is how I felt. Tales of symphonia is still my favorite.

Are the characters boring and typical cookie cutter anime character? Like the Shy girl and the Brave but sort of headstrong guy. Those have been done a thousand times.

I can't stand that game.. tbh... I'll leave it as that.

And it's an anime.. SERIOUSLY anime game. Yes.. it's cookie cutter looks. But their personalities so far have redeemed themselves for me.
#19 Posted by Lady_of_the_patriots (73 posts) -

@Catolf: So they aren't cliche personalities?

#20 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4660 posts) -

Some are more cliche then others. The main character being the least interesting. Overall it's a alright cast. I did not like them at all for the first few hours of the game, however. They are more interesting interacting as a group then their individual personality's.

#21 Edited by Downside (48 posts) -

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't try to sell anyone on this game by saying the characters personalities are particularly innovative, or profound. You have some very basic archetypes with no real standouts other than Sophie and Pascal. The best parts of most of the characters personalities are exposed in the win quotes and skits, not in the normal dialogue. I definitely agree with ImmortaSaiyan in that they are more interesting as a group than as individualsm, a very accurate summation in my eyes.

#22 Posted by Lady_of_the_patriots (73 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: Starting to notice a trend with the main character being the least interesting...

#23 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Some are more cliche then others. The main character being the least interesting. Overall it's a alright cast. I did not like them at all for the first few hours of the game, however. They are more interesting interacting as a group then their individual personality's.

i can agree with this statement.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.