Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tales of Graces

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released 2012

The latest entry in the Tales franchise for the Nintendo Wii. It is the first 3D entry for home consoles to use character designs by Mutsumi Inomata instead of Kousuke Fujishima, who most Western fans associate with the Tales series.

Tales of Graces @ TGS

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Official website (if you have an insane Jap-grade uber connection you can stream the vids in HQ there).

Two direct feed trailers :-)

jj984jj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By jj984jj

Another gameplay video!
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

This is one gorgeous game...

I also love how quick the loading to battle is (a little longer when returning to normal somehow) :-)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

It does look beautiful..everything looks so good. I cannot see anything that looks dodgy in any way. The subtle lighting effects during battles are nice, and menu's look clean and efficient to traverse. It's got winner written all over it.

I'm looking forward to the next trailer also. 

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Icemael

Looks great. Looking forward to more info and footage... I am not, however, looking forward to the announcements of the Western release dates.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#6  Edited By tearhead

I'm really excited for this game. Still need to play through Tales of Symphonia: DotNW though.... ugh...

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

Looks the same as ever. :-\

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

Why would you want it to change? It's always looked beautiful. We just like finally seeing more of it, not expect the new stuff to look different...

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By AndrewB

I hope it can keep up the Tales series excellence. I hope they take a step back with the battle system, though. It's becoming way more complicated than it needs to be.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Someone subbed the off screen trailer.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#11  Edited By tearhead

It looks really good, I just hope they are a lot of anime cutscenes... unlike Tales of Symphonia.

Avatar image for deactivated-61da50756e1e4
    deactivated-61da50756e1e4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Tearhead said:
    " It looks really good, I just hope they are a lot of anime cutscenes... unlike Tales of Symphonia. "
    exactly what i was going to say
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

I prefer in game cut scenes, those look really good in the trailer :-)

I'm sure there will be enough of both, it's supposed to be the biggest and best Tales game with like 70 hours worth of main story gameplay.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cornman89

Cool. Visually, it looks quite impressive for a Wii game, and the battle animations don't look like they have any of the weird jerkiness that ToS:DotNW had. Color me impressed. Any word on the story so far?

Maybe this is irrelevant, but I feel I have to say - and maybe this is more indicative of my waning tolerance for anime-inspired stylings than of the quality of the design itself - that the main character's costume design is just... ridiculous. Even considering the use-every-color-in-the-crayon-box visual legacy the Tales series has wrought.

On a tangential note, is Sakuraba composing? I continue to hold out the half-formed hope that Go Shiina returns to score a Tales game (or any game) in its entirety.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#15  Edited By AgentJ

God, I'm sure the game will be great, but I still can't stand the character designs.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

Btw the thing seen @ the end of the second video is some kind of DS  (dungeon crawler?) game downloaded from the Wii game. It reminds me of Time Stalkers on the Dreamcast, it had a first person dungeon crawler game (think Dungeon Master but simpler) to download and play on your Visual Memory Unit. Except in that case the mini game was better than the main game, I played it to death until the VMU battery died.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks

The DS game looks cool, it's definitely a sweet addition. I hope other developers follow suit, 

That combat looks really fun.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yes, the combat system looks super fast and fluid, you can also switch characters at will :-)

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#19  Edited By Icemael
    @Cornman89 said:
    "On a tangential note, is Sakuraba composing?"
    I sure hope so. Vesperia's soundtrack was nothing short of fantastic.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Meowayne

The combat does indeed look fun, and I always love games with dynamic camera angles, but the rest looks just so dull and unoriginal. : / And uglier than most SNES RPGs, both in terms of graphics and artstyle. 

O, what I would give for another cyberpunk or steampunk JRPG with prerendered backgrounds and script that is written by a professional, told in-game and is not hampered with by curse that is voice acting. Sigh.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ryanwho
    @Meowayne said:
    " The combat does indeed look fun, and I always love games with dynamic camera angles, but the rest looks just so dull and unoriginal. : / And uglier than most SNES RPGs, both in terms of graphics and artstyle.   O, what I would give for another cyberpunk or steampunk JRPG with prerendered backgrounds and script that is written by a professional, told in-game and is not hampered with by curse that is voice acting. Sigh. "
    Prerendered? No voice acting? I think you're letting your memories get the best of you. But if you really think you want that, go play Baten Kaitos Origins with the VO turned off if you haven't already.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Meowayne

Ah, unfortunatly I have never had fun with the combat in Baten Kaitos. But I did actually play that not too long ago for exactly that reason.

The abandonment of prerendered backgrounds for design and atmosphere reasons is one of the greatest sins of the last decade of video gaming. The REmake is a shining example of that - and even that is now 7 years old. 

And don't get me started on voice acting. Voice acting in video games is a travesty. JRPG scripts in particular have been made five times blander, three times shorter and fifteen times more stupid by the inclusion of VOs. What would have been 2 hours of interactive character exploration on the PSX is turned into a badly written 10-minute cutscene on the PS3.
     It's a fucking tragedy.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r

The stories weren't that great or elaborate to begin with (unless we're talking Western RPGs like Planescape Torment), not to mention most JRPGs still use a crapload of text and only have voice overs for the primary cut scenes. The 10 minute cut scenes were prelevant in the PSX RPGs you look back to so fondly mind you, they're not a new addition, except now they also include dialogue and not just groans.

As for pre-rendered backgrounds, meh, so glad they finally got over them. REmake should have been done like Code Veronica instead with real-time 3D and dynamic camera work, it would have looked better too since the GC was more capable than the Dreamcast. RE4 didn't look as great (though still great) but it was also a completely different environment than RE, if it was all inside a mansion with careful camera placement they could have upped the detail a lot more, though obviously not to the level of REmake, but the real-time nature allows for other cool stuff.

Also I can't even think of many RPGs outside Final Fantasy that even used pre-rendered backgrounds so I'd say it was the exception rather than the rule. Some of the best games of the era, did not use them. Grandia, Xenogears, and the like.

As for this looking worse than SNES RPGs "in graphics" (the art style, feel free to hate it, I'm not fond of some of the characters myself, but that doesn't make it universally bad, especially with their beautifully rendered environments) what does that even mean? Comparing pixel art with 3D art? And how is this more generic than such games used to be? I look @ FF SNES screenshots (to make sure I remember it right) and I see caves, medieval looking castles, and basically nothing that stands out as so unique. If anything it looks like a generic RPG Maker tileset, though obviously it's the latter that was inspired by the former, but that doesn't make the original any more unique looking. Caves. Castles. Cities. Mountains. Deserts. All rendered in quite a conventional and simple manner for the most part (though their enemy designs were pretty creative).

That's the creativity you want to return, as far as visuals are concerned? I find ToG has some pretty good and unique locations personally, from the little we've seen of it, which is way too little indeed considering it's meant to span 70 hours (that probably includes a lot of text).
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cornman89
    @Meowayne said:

" And don't get me started on voice acting. Voice acting in video games is a travesty. JRPG scripts in particular have been made five times blander, three times shorter and fifteen times more stupid by the inclusion of VOs. What would have been 2 hours of interactive character exploration on the PSX is turned into a badly written 10-minute cutscene on the PS3.  It's a fucking tragedy. "

Really? I generally agree with you about the state of the JRPG script, but not that they've been significantly affected by VOs. If anything, I'd say it's more due to the shonen manga/anime influence...
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Al3xand3r
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AgentJ

Along with the red-head, this new blonde guy is more along the lines of what I expect from the tales series than any of the other characters so far. 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Linkyshinks

New character: Richard

No Caption Provided

DS Mini Game:
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AgentJ
    @Linkyshinks: Double post Linky. Just letting ya know
    Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#29  Edited By Ping5000
    @Al3xand3r said:

" Someone subbed the off screen trailer.

"
    Holy fucking shit

"I want to protect everyone." 
    "I want to become stronger to protect everyone." 
    "I GOT TO BECOME STRONGER AND STRONGER TO PROTECT EVERYONE." 

I liked the trailer before the translation. How many times has Japan worked with this character archetype? With hyperbole, probably a million times. Now I don't need to pay for a haircut, because I pulled my hair out due to this trailer. 

General rule of thumb suggests that party members are generally better characters. I hope so, because goddamn. 

Combat system looks cool, though. The last and only Tales game I played was Symphonia and Graces' combat system looks like that, except it's completely lost its mind.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AgentJ
    @Ping5000: Yeah, it's true. That character stencil has been used more than its fair share. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.