Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 07, 2009

Telltale resurrects the much-loved pirate adventure franchise with Tales of Monkey Island, a five-part episodic series continuing the adventures of Guybrush Threepwood, this being the first.

Average difficulty of a TellTale game?

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By zitosilva

Tales of Monkey Island is the first game from TellTale that I have played. I loved my point and clicks back in the day and, despite hearing the good things they did to the Sam & Max franchise, I ended up not seeing any of their work.

I loved Tales of Monkey Island. The thing that makes me like it the most is that I felt it truly was a Monkey Island game, with the right mood, jokes, dialogue etc. But there was just one thing that bothered me: The difficulty. It was too easy.

Now, don't get me wrong here. I'm not trying to show off or anything, as I'm sure that many of you also finished it without getting stuck once. The thing is, I remember getting completely stuck is this type of games and how great it felt when I finally found out what I had to do.. And I'm pretty sure ithat the difficulty was not due to my age back at the time, because I'm playing The Longest Journey right now and have been stuck at the same place for three days. But Tales... I don't know, everything was so direct and obvious. It was almost like walking a straight line, everything always fit nicely, leaving no room for second thoughts.

So, I was wondering. Is it possible that they've made this chapter easy just so players could get the hang of it? And then, with each episode, increase the difficulty more and more? As I mentioned above, I have yet to play any other game from TellTale. But, anyone that has played any of them, hows the difficulty compared to the first episode of Tales? Is it the same? Harder? Easier?

Anyway, if anyone can answer me, I'd really apreciate it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Well if the goal is to make the Tales games progressively harder, that would be cool because I agree on the difficulty. I can't speak to the difficulty comparisons though as I have not played a whole lot of Telltale games myself.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By dsplayer1010

I've just gotten into point and click adventure games with season one of Sam and Max. It's pretty hard.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The Telltale games I've played are generally pretty straight forward. Most of the puzzles are pretty obvious, but you do occasionally find yourself getting stuck on a puzzle, and the solution always ends up being more simple than you expect.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By EdIsCool

odd, just finished episode 2 and found it even easier than episode 1.Episode 1s jungley bits annoyed me.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Rockanomics

I haven't played any of Strongbad, but I have played all (I think) of Sam & Max and I would certainly say that Monkey Island has been much easier for me.  

I have also felt that it was too easy, but I'm not sure if I really would enjoy it any more. The only thing I can say with some certainty is that I'm probably missing a bit of content, a lot of the best dialog is when you try the wrong things.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I only played the original Monkey Island and I thought it was hard. But that was awhile ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.