Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 07, 2009

Telltale resurrects the much-loved pirate adventure franchise with Tales of Monkey Island, a five-part episodic series continuing the adventures of Guybrush Threepwood, this being the first.

Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1 - Hits WiiWare

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1 - Launch of the Screaming Narwhal has hit WiiWare today selling for 1,000 Nintendo Points

Other games released today:

• The Three Musketeers: One for All! (WiiWare, Legendo Entertainment, 1 player, 900 Wii Points)
    • HB Arcade Cards (WiiWare, HB Studios, 1 player, 500 Wii Points)
    • Sudoku Student (DSiWare, Hudson, 1 player, 200 DSi Points)

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Meh, why more expensive than pc? You can get the complete collection, 5 episodes, for just 33 euros, so, 3300 Nintendo Points, instead of 5000.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Aeterna

Because there's no option for such prices. Blame Nintendo for that, not TellTale.
    So Wii-owners; how is it? Since the game's been shrunk down a lot due to the size-limit.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

What are you talking about? You can't even buy the episodes separately on Steam, so it's not an option, it's a concious decision to charge more for it on Wii than they do on PC. No, Nintendo didn't force that. They could have it at 700 points per episode instead of 1000, plenty of WiiWare games cost even less. But they don't. If anything it's because they liked the sales of past episodic releases at the price point and don't feel it needs a reduction on Wii as it does on PC, which is still shitty and unfair and that was all my rhetorical question was about...

What's been "shrunk down a lot"?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

I didn't laugh.  What the Hell is wrong with me?!

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aeterna
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " What are you talking about? You can't even buy the episodes separately on Steam, so it's not an option, it's a concious decision to charge more for it on Wii than they do on PC. No, Nintendo didn't force that. They could have it at 700 points per episode instead of 1000, plenty of WiiWare games cost even less. But they don't. If anything it's because they liked the sales of past episodic releases at the price point and don't feel it needs a reduction on Wii as it does on PC, which is still shitty and unfair and that was all my rhetorical question was about...

What's been "shrunk down a lot"? "

I don't know about all of that, I'm just saying what one of the developers said on the Telltale forums.

And downloaded games on WiiWare have a limit of 40MB. The PC version is 188MB.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

So, the file size has been shrunk, not the game. Must have been easy, as it runs at a set resolution excess can be cut with no consequence >_>

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Meowayne

Al3x, stop the laming. The fact that the PC version is 200mb and Wiiware has a 40meg limit is a serious issue. So far, I have no read of anyone who has actually played the version. Unless the PC version doesn't have any compression, which I doubt, I certainly do expect a loss of quality or content on some end. Even with lower texture res and a low dialog sampling rate, I cannot imagine it going down to 40 megs. I'm curious about that.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Meh, why more expensive than pc? You can get the complete collection, 5 episodes, for just 33 euros, so, 3300 Nintendo Points, instead of 5000. "
    If you buy directly from the Telltale site, they'll even send you a DVD version with all the episodes on it..
    I can understand why some people would rather play it on a console, but the PC version is just far better value in this case.

Good that more people can enjoy it though, I guess.  I absolutely loved it :)
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " So, the file size has been shrunk, not the game. Must have been easy, as it runs at a set resolution excess can be cut with no consequence >_> "
    Sure, there will have been some data on the PC version that is completely unneeded in the Wii version, but getting rid of 148 out of 188 megs is easy? I don't think so. I suspect the audio quality will have been greatly reduced, and there will have been cutbacks elsewhere too.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Meowayne

Or Telltale got permission to ignore the filesize limit. But I doubt it.

Edit: Then again, they did upgrade to higher res video in the japanese nintendo channel recently. Maybe the filesize limit  for Wiiware has been increased?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yes, the sound, alongside the textures, is probably another factor they can reduce a lot without anyone noticing. After all, the Wii's sound card is probably not on par with a $150 PC sound system, just like its graphics card isn't. It doesn't even support 5.1 or anything if I remember right.

@Meowayne
    said:

" Al3x, stop the laming. The fact that the PC version is 200mb and Wiiware has a 40meg limit is a serious issue. So far, I have no read of anyone who has actually played the version. Unless the PC version doesn't have any compression, which I doubt, I certainly do expect a loss of quality or content on some end. Even with lower texture res and a low dialog sampling rate, I cannot imagine it going down to 40 megs. I'm curious about that. "
    Strong Bad's first episode is the smallest, with 148 MB required to download on Steam. Episode 4 is the largest with 297 MB. I'm not sure how many MB they're when they're done downloading and installing but it's probably not that far off, and that file size is needed in some way anyway. I didn't hear of any cut content and botched quality in the many great reviews for that series, and for all intents and purposes the Wii version has been treated as equal. But no, let's just speculate that everything is half assed for the hell of it, that works much better than "the laming" dur.

The video's streaming, it's irrelevant. A file size increase is plausible but I doubt they'd take it beyond 100 MB per game. Telltale work magic.

The pricing, for whatever reason, still sucks and anyone interested in the series should buy it on PC, as has been said multiple times already.
    TatoBins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By TatoBins

I've been playing it for the past little while and I can attest to the fact that the frame rate is totally jacked and the sound quality is terrible. It's almost unplayable. I hope they patch this...but i doubt they will.  

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

They won't. And lol @ charging more for that shit. And before anyone says that, the file size has nothing to do with the frame rate issues. Hell, if anything, if they had to reduce assets so much, it should run better, not worse. So, yeah. Bummer. But really, with the price difference, everyone interested in this should get it on PC anyway, even if the Wii version was just as good. Any PC under the sun can probably run it just fine.

TatoBins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By TatoBins

So i actually just beat it. While there are certainly some issues with its presentation, it definitely gets better as the game progresses. If you have the choice I'd d get it for the PC, but all things considered it's still a fun game on the Wii. 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Meowayne
    WARNING

DO NOT BUY!

I repeat: Unter no circumstances should Telltale games be given any money for this.

The game looks as if it was filmed from a screen by a bad camera, the colours are awful, the textures have been downscaled in resolution to the absolute maximum, it's muddy, it has upscale issues, and the framerate borders on 15fps.
    I could live with that.
    But on top of that, the  sound quality - oh god, the sound quality - has seen the biggest reduction. Everyone speaks through a walkie talkie. If you put the dialogue through the DS's speakers and then record it, you'd get a better result then what is presented here.
    I think I could even live with that.
    But to round things off, the cursor you're supposed to play with is even more horrible, jerky and low on fps. They wanted me to play Monkey Island with a 5fps cursor - That's where I stopped and deleted the game.

And they charge you more money for this version than for the others. I just watched the ofirst few minutes on a low res Youtube-video: And it looked and sounded much better than what was on the TV a couple of minutes before.

No. Definatly not.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Meowayne
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " But really, with the price difference, everyone interested in this should get it on PC anyway, even if the Wii version was just as good. Any PC under the sun can probably run it just fine. "
    No, there are many people (me included) who only have a Netbook for Internet and study purposes. This EEE PC most probably won't run it.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Minimum Specs:
    • Single-core CPU with 2 GHz
    • 512 MiByte RAM
    • DirectX 8.1 graphics card with 64 MiByte VRAM

Recommended Specs:
    • Single-core CPU with 3 GHz
    • 1024 MiByte RAM
    • DirectX 8.1 graphics card with 128 MiByte VRAM

So, okay, your EEE PC can't run it, but even older laptops can... Nice graphical settings comparison. Quality doesn't degrade much on low. I was going to get a netbook for my sister last year but instead I gave a couple hundred extra and got her a proper ACER laptop. It certainly can run this, and even light games like Trackmania.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.