Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 07, 2009

Telltale resurrects the much-loved pirate adventure franchise with Tales of Monkey Island, a five-part episodic series continuing the adventures of Guybrush Threepwood, this being the first.

Telltale's site down on the day of release

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Aeterna

Not shockingly, the traffic to telltale's servers has been astounding today. Thousands of people on even the forums (nearly doubling the previous maximum amount of people logged in on the forum)

which really show how many people care for Monkey Island games still. 

I'm glad to see it, personally.
    SoftCoreDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By SoftCoreDave

I fucking love monky island, looking forward to playing this one, just hope it's as awsome as the others.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok

Meh.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By vidiot
    @SuperMooseman said:
    " Heh, it is amazing how many people flocked online, as you can see here. It's a shame the game was delayed by a couple of hours since it's now July 8th here in the UK. Alas, the site is currently "under the knife" which means they are putting the game online... wooooo! "
    Delayed a couple of hours? I haven't seen a game through digital distribution have this much of a delay for an initial release. If the game was supposed to come out at 3, then sure, a couple of hours. I've been waiting all fricken day for this thing to be released, TellTale and Monkey Island Facebooks are appropriately filling up with many very angry customers. I can't imagine what some people over certain date lines are doing right now. July 8th it is!

Granted, I've waited this long for something regarding Monkey Island, the least I can do is wait another, day? hour? few minutes? whatever tangible piece of time?
    Even still, their entire web page is now down. They should have known better.
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Absurd

I couldn't preorder, Any chance that the games will come out in stores?

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Babble
    @vidiot said:
    " @SuperMooseman said:
    " Heh, it is amazing how many people flocked online, as you can see here. It's a shame the game was delayed by a couple of hours since it's now July 8th here in the UK. Alas, the site is currently "under the knife" which means they are putting the game online... wooooo! "
    Delayed a couple of hours? I haven't seen a game through digital distribution have this much of a delay for an initial release. If the game was supposed to come out at 3, then sure, a couple of hours. I've been waiting all fricken day for this thing to be released, TellTale and Monkey Island Facebooks are appropriately filling up with many very angry customers. I can't imagine what some people over certain date lines are doing right now. July 8th it is!

Granted, I've waited this long for something regarding Monkey Island, the least I can do is wait another, day? hour? few minutes? whatever tangible piece of time?Even still, their entire web page is now down. They should have known better. "
    Sounds like those angry customers (and possibly you) need to relax. A few hours isn't that bad, it's not like the game was delayed a month, you will have it very soon or at worst sometime this week.

@Absurd said:
    " I couldn't preorder, Any chance that the games will come out in stores? "
    A season purchase on the website gets you a boxed copy of the game once all the episodes are released if that's why you wanted to wait for retail. Otherwise I think they did put out retail copies of their previous adventure games sometime later.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vidiot
    @Babble said:
    " @vidiot said:
    " @SuperMooseman said:

Granted, I've waited this long for something regarding Monkey Island, the least I can do is wait another, day? hour? few minutes? whatever tangible piece of time?Even still, their entire web page is now down. They should have known better. "
    Sounds like those angry customers (and possibly you) need to relax. A few hours isn't that bad, it's not like the game was delayed a month, you will have it very soon or at worst sometime this week.
    "
    Angry? Me? No. Annoyed, but not enough to start pulling my hair like all the comments I've read today. Like I said, if you've been waiting for this thing (a new monkey island game) this long like I have, the least you could do is wait a bit more. But, that does not all Telltale to get off the hook in regards to how this thing was launched. It was clearly messy and they should have known better they've been doing this for a while now.

Edit: And low and behold it is up? The site is back at 5:00pm. Next time they should just do a midnight release and put everyone's fears to rest.
    Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Babble
    @vidiot said:
    " @Babble said:
    " @vidiot said:
    " @SuperMooseman said:

"
    Angry? Me? No. Annoyed, but not enough to start pulling my hair like all the comments I've read today. Like I said, if you've been waiting for this thing (a new monkey island game) this long like I have, the least you could do is wait a bit more. But, that does not all Telltale to get off the hook in regards to how this thing was launched. It was clearly messy and they should have known better they've been doing this for a while now.  "
    Well none of their other games have garnered this much attention on release. The nightmare stories people have with Steam servers during a game's launch are much worse then what you are dealing with here.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vidiot
    @SuperMooseman said:
    " @vidiot: Dude, I'm a HUGE Monkey Island fan. Huuuuuuuuge. I didn't get that stressed over it. They said the game would come out around midday their time, and they were just a couple of hours late. Get over it, seriously. "
    Well I'm a super-duper Monkey Island fan times infinity, and I say Telltale needs reasonable architecture that doesn't fry when their demand is too much, and should have foreseen issues they had today due to their experience offering digital downloads.
    So there!
    Meh!  *sticks out tongue*

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @vidiot said:
    " @SuperMooseman said:
    " @vidiot: Dude, I'm a HUGE Monkey Island fan. Huuuuuuuuge. I didn't get that stressed over it. They said the game would come out around midday their time, and they were just a couple of hours late. Get over it, seriously. "
    Well I'm a super-duper Monkey Island fan times infinity, and I say Telltale needs reasonable architecture that doesn't fry when their demand is too much, and should have foreseen issues they had today due to their experience offering digital downloads.
    So there!
    "
    No-one is a bigger MI fan than moosey. You are a liar and shall be put to the lions

*grabs vidiot*
    *throws vidiot to lions*
    *lions maul vidiot*
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vidiot
    @MattyFTM said:
    " @vidiot said:
    " @SuperMooseman said:
    So there!
    "
    No-one is a bigger MI fan than moosey. You are a liar and shall be put to the lions*grabs vidiot**throws vidiot to lions**lions maul vidiot* "
    That was graphic. Ow.

How dare you devolve this topic into something immature. :P
    gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By gearhead

Site goes down, nothing compared to the release problems with Battlefield 1943.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Babble
    @Gearhead said:
    " Site goes down, nothing compared to the release problems with Battlefield 1943. "
    Yeah and everyone who was fuming about Monkey Island is now playing the game happily having forgotten the problems with the game's release. The cycle goes on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.