Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tales

Franchise »

"Tales of..." is a role-playing game franchise. It is notable for being one of the first console RPG series to utilize a real-time based battle system in favor of the traditional turn-based battle system.

Tales of Zestiria (PS3 Worldwide).

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Darji

Not long ago we got infos about the next tales of being in development for the PS4 and now we are getting a Teaser site for the Tales of Game. There is not much to see there yet but they seem to build on Nostalgia Showing a YouTube video of Tales of Phantasia and Destiny which pretty much indicates a mainline Tales of. If they release it in 2014 the full year of JRPGs got even better. At least for me.

http://next.tales-ch.jp/

No Caption Provided

Characters:

Sley:

No Caption Provided

Alicia:

No Caption Provided

More infos:

• - Zestiria refers to "Zest", meaning passion or zeal;
    • - Game has character designs from Inomata, Fujishima, Okumura, and Iwamoto;
    • - more "open-world" "bigger fields";
    • - Takes place on the continent of Greenwood;
    • - War between the Highland Kingdom and the Lawrence Empire;
    • - Baba says that they built the new LMBS based on surveys asking what system fans enjoyed the most;
    • - Dragons are actually going to be important in this game;
    • - UFOTABLE confirmed;

Gif of the Battelsystem

Worldwide release confirmed:

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So no one is hyped for the next tales of? Sad times..

Right now they are displaying Tales of Legendia and Tales of Abyss one of the best Tales of games. Next one should be Vesperia and Graces and then Xillia 1 and 2. After that? Who knows. Maybe some tease about the new game and then the trailer at Jump Festa on Dec 22. I really do not think of a PS4 game but rather the last PS3 game for 2014. Man what a Year for JRPGs...

But maybe we will see how a next gen Tales will look. Who knows.

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the tales series. Combat is fun and the cast of main characters are usually fun and likeable. None of the over the top Japanese stereotypes, and if there are, its usually just one out of the 7 or 8 main characters that I end up disliking.

I'm usually hyped for new tales games but I lose that hype over the years before a new game is released. Announcement to Japanese release takes months, then we'll have to wait a few more months for a NA localization announcement and then wait more months for an NA release date. They just take way too long to get the games out to NA shores.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EXTomar

Why get hyped for this one? Besides being a "meh" series that I can't distinguish one from another, there have been so many that were released in Japan that never got close to coming out over here.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Interesting, need more information before I can care though.

Tales games are really hit and miss with me. I'd love to see another game similar to Vesperia, which is the best game (with regards to story and character) in my opinion.

There's also a chance of this game never coming out over here, so I'll just wait a year or two until there is something worth being excited about.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

Why get hyped for this one? Besides being a "meh" series that I can't distinguish one from another, there have been so many that were released in Japan that never got close to coming out over here.

The main games are always coming out here. Not the spin offs but who cares about these. This is a main Tales of title. And the west will get 2 Tales of games in 2014. Symphonia PS3 version and tales of Xillia 2. What can you not like about this if you like JRPGs of course^^

Loading Video...

They really nailed the quality of tales of games in this generation.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By irrelevantjohn

@darji: I love the Tales series but for some reason I'm not so hyped for Xillia 2. Maybe it's because they rushed Xillia 1 and soured my experience.

Also not all of the main games comes over to Europe and NA. I had to import Tales of Innocence R at one point.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess this will be the last PS3 game ? or maybe they will announce a PS4 game ?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Meh, after both Graces and Xillia ranging from mediocre to straight-up bad, and Xillia 2 looking almost identical to Xillia, I'm not exactly on the best of terms with this franchise. Still looking forward to Tales of Symphonia Chronicles. Never played Dawn of a New World either, but given the impressions for that one, and with my current stance on Tales, it's probably best I give that one a miss lest I only push myself even further away from this franchise...

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I tried Tales of Vesperia and I hated everything about it. The story was bad, the characters were annoying, and I hate the style of combat these games use. So that's why I'm not interested.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: I love the Tales series but for some reason I'm not so hyped for Xillia 2. Maybe it's because they rushed Xillia 1 and soured my experience.

Also not all of the main games comes over to Europe and NA. I had to import Tales of Innocence R at one point.

Xillia 2 is great and in all points better than Xillia. I really liked Xillia though because I liked the characters and the story as well as the character stories. The only negative about Xillia 2 is that the main char has no voice acting until your second play through which is a really bad decision in my opinion. Why would you do that? I really hope they change that with the western release. Xillia 2 also has different endings which is also refreshing but we will see about that in summer or fall I guess.

As for Innocence R. I do not think this was a main title but I am not sure about that. At least that would be the only main game I have not played yet.

As for my experience. I am in the other camp which is really disliking Symphonia and if the PS3 did not had dual voices I would have not bought it at all. But since I want to support dual language in JRPGs I have to buy it. My personal favorites are Abyss, Vesperia and also Xillia. I am not really into the games like destiny because I did not like the 2D battle system at all.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By senrat

I played Vesperia earlier this year and enjoyed it, solid voice acting/characters and combat that kept me engaged until the end. Cant say I am excited, ill keep it on my radar though.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah they "nailed" the animated opening. It is not like animation like this has nothing to do with video game production or anything.

It is not so much that I love or hate Tales games but it is more of an issue with Namco-Bandai and how they've been handling their games where the latest with Soul Calibur 2 HD Online is bad.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I still need to play the last few Tales of games. I just got Tales of Xillia on Black friday, so I hope to start that soon.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@darji: it is part of the main games but on portable systems instead. Kinda sucks how namco bandai handles their budgets.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Darji

@extomar said:

Yeah they "nailed" the animated opening. It is not like animation like this has nothing to do with video game production or anything.

It is not so much that I love or hate Tales games but it is more of an issue with Namco-Bandai and how they've been handling their games where the latest with Soul Calibur 2 HD Online is bad.

Nah I think they nailed it in terms of story telling. I really like these corny cliche JRPG stories and Tales of is perfect for that. Especially Vesperia, Xillia and Abyss. As for the handling of these games. I think they are pretty good and if you like JRPGs you should support Namco for trying to bring these games to the west as fast and as many as they can. I really wish Sega would do that with the Yakuza series as well...

@irrelevantjohn interesting. When I get Vita TV i will make sure to check that out then since I only play the main series^^

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First Teaser Picture

No Caption Provided

Also if you click on the picture you hear some creature roaring.

They will show it during a special live stream in 17 hours and a bit less than 30 minutes from now on.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fffffff *fondles his PS4* even if it turns out to be Just Another 3D Tales Game but with PS4 graphics I'm in day one

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By alwaysbebombing

This isn't Persona 5

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Superkenon

Yep, Tales is a series I can't stay away from. It may not be high art, but they're always good fun. Also, my love of fighting games translates directly into a love of the battle system.

I'm excited to hear more.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

Fffffff *fondles his PS4* even if it turns out to be Just Another 3D Tales Game but with PS4 graphics I'm in day one

I doubt it will be PS4. Hideo Baba commented on a PS4 Tales of a few months ago saying that there is one in very early development. I am kind of thinking with PErsona 5 also comming to PS3 this could be another Ps3 Tales of before we see a next gen one.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By phantomzxro

I'm hyped, the tales games are always fun and the battle systems are great. So i can't wait to see what this one brings to the table.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jimmyfenix

So many RPG Games :D

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By TruthTellah

Cool. I'm watching the livestream, and right now it's some concept art and a lot of "ehhhh..."-ing. ha. Hopefully they'll show a bit more soon. Even if it's not a next gen Tales game, it still has plenty of potential. Some of the best JRPGs come near the end of consoles' lives.

Edit: Now suddenly "Iinear motion battle system" and much excitement. ooo And dragons.(looks like Bahamut) Lots of wwwwww's. I don't understand him, but this man being held at gunpoint in an abandoned theater seems to be pretty hyped about the game.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TruthTellah

The presenter's shadows look like they're trying to escape him...

And the animation is by Ufotable!

*he shows more character concept art*

ooo Definitely look like Tales characters.

*they bring out giant cardboard cutouts of the characters with triumphant music*

I'm guessing those are the voice actors with them. I hope they have dual audio if they ever bring it overseas. These people sound great for the roles. They could bring those cardboard cutouts to life!

hmmm.... Now that I keep hearing it... Tales of Zestiria? Sounds a bit like zesty diarrhea.

*listens some more*

So, I love whoever this woman is that chimes in sometimes from off screen. She sounds familiar, and she's hilarious.

A taste of the action on display:

No Caption Provided

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Darji

So they now go for more open fields? I just hope it will not be as empty as in Xenoblade. Xillia already felt a bit barren so we will see. By the looks of it it felt a bit more like Dragon Quest VIII in terms of world "map" design. None or less I am interested how this new battlesystem will play out with when I got it right no real transition anymore? Characters lack for me a bit of personality right now but I will hope that will change when we have more info. Overall I am satisfied since I did not really expected a PS4 announcement yet.

Also need Direct Feed HQ video...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#28  Edited By Yummylee

@truthtellah: Hmm, the perspective and the sidestep instantly brings Tales of Graces F to mind. Which, sure OK. For as utterly generic in almost ever conceivable way that game is, with a cast of characters that will leave you questioning your reason for living, its combat was pretty awesome. Hell, it was the only reason I somehow stomached its 80+ hour story! That, and because Hubert was cool.

Anywhoo it also appears to look rather pretty and features all of the colour that was missing from Tales of Xillia. Consider my interest ever so mildly piqued.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TruthTellah

Some screenshots from the stream:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

And here is the teaser from the stream(I imagine they'll release a full quality version soon enough):

Loading Video...

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By forteexe21

Why ca't they just go back to an overworld?! I NEED AN AIRSHIP IN MY JRPGS!!

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I did not like Xillia but god dammit I'm going to end up playing this anyway. I hope Alicia plays like Leia or Judith because I had the most fun playing with those aerial combos.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By shinjin977

My ps3 is ready for next winter. P5 and this, you can't rest yet my ps3.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't expecting it to get a wide release so quickly. One outlet reported an english release of 2014, which would be a pleasant surprise if it's true. I just hope they're not rushing this thing. Anyone know when it began development? I assume/hope a different team was working on Xillia 2.

@darji said:

So they now go for more open fields? I just hope it will not be as empty as in Xenoblade. Xillia already felt a bit barren so we will see. By the looks of it it felt a bit more like Dragon Quest VIII in terms of world "map" design. None or less I am interested how this new battlesystem will play out with when I got it right no real transition anymore? Characters lack for me a bit of personality right now but I will hope that will change when we have more info. Overall I am satisfied since I did not really expected a PS4 announcement yet.

Pretty much every Tales character looks like a shallow archetype at first glance. It's not until you spend a bit of time with them that they start developing their quirks and eccentricities, and more importantly, start bouncing dialogue off each other. That said, I actually like their designs. Even if Sley is a pretty ridiculous name, haha.

So did they mention there wasn't a "transition" into battles anymore, or is it just that it looks that way in that video? That'd be an interesting change, and certainly goes in hand with making big, open areas.

Personally I hope it's closer to Xenoblade than Xillia -- I feel like the former had a lot more to explore and discover, lots of cool side areas, while Xillia was "wide hallways" for the most part (not to mention all the reused geometry). I think Xenoblade's areas mixed with Tales' gameplay would be the greatest thing ever.

I'd settle for "just another Tales" though. I'm easy.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superkenon: There is no way they are going to release this is 2014. That would mean 3 Tales of Main games in one year for the west? No way^^

As for the rest. I don't know. The last characters had something distinctive about the the moment I saw them This one here looks a bit bland for my personal taste. I can not say why exactly or maybe it is just because of this low quality video we have seen so far. I am more "comfortable" with Alicia though so far. She kind of reminds me of Tear from the look and her weapon also seems a spear^^

The thing that Xenoblade killed for me were the side stuff. It was just fetch quest in an mmo style mechanic. Which I really hated in this game. Also there was nothing in there. I would have loved a few more towns or some sort of other stuff but I would not made any sense given they were living on a giant "titan"^^

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tales is simple, unambitious JRPG comfort food, but at least they know that. Maybe I'll get in on this one if I find it cheap.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: I like that Sley at least looks older than the last couple of protagonists... though I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be some punk 16 year-old anyway, heh. I would like it if they moved away from 'kid heroes' though. His design reminds me a bit of Flynn, and that's okay by me. But yes... Alicia's spear is exciting. If her combat style's good, there's a good chance that's who I'll play as.

Xenoblade definitely suffered from having too many dumb quests, but I had a lot of fun just roaming the world of my own accord, and finding these neat little nooks all over the place. It wasn't perfect, but I'd easily put it above Xillia's efforts at "open areas", so hopefully they've learned some lessons.

It almost looks like they might've been looking at Skyrim for some inspiration, haha. OPEN WORLD AND DRAGONS

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.