Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Bondi

Company »

Team Bondi was an independent studio formed by former Sony Affiliated Team Soho Studio. The company closed down in October 2011 following bad press over working conditions.

New Internal Emails Paint an Even Uglier Picture of Team Bondi's Work Practices

• 156 results
    Acedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Acedia

A bit sad that this gets seen as outrageous while this type of stuff is common practice with most clothes and apparel industries. Of course those victims are kids (not western world kids) so no-one  cares about that. I agree mistreating employees is unacceptable but this is getting blown up out of proportion.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#52  Edited By Hailinel
    @forkboy Bullshit. I work for a software company that strives to provide employees with a good work/life balance and has been successful at what it does. The mentality that software Sega need to be a meat grinder is an outdated and unhealthy philosophy.
    Xero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Xero0

if they keep making good games, my relationship with team bondi will continue.

i'm a gamer; i love games. ill continue to play good games

whether or not the dev teams are good or bad. a lot of people make it seem

as if this is something new; it isn't. the former devs from team bondi are just more

vocal than the rest of former devs from other companies who got screwed many many times.

ChernobylCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By ChernobylCow

Well if it even matters, I am going to vote with my dollar.  RDR never really synced with me and why I love games and after all this I'm not really interested in buying a new copy of LA Noire.  Down the road I may get it used, like Red Dead.  Who knows.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By lockwoodx

So what does Take 2 do in order to sweep Team Bondi under the carpet? Blame poor Duke sales the reason revenue is down instead of the real reason, buying out the studio's contract.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Aus_azn

I don't care for this game in the least, but the more I hear about this, the more disgusted I am with Rockstar.

May they burn in hell.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By bkbroiler

@Aus_azn said:

I don't care for this game in the least, but the more I hear about this, the more disgusted I am with Rockstar. May they burn in hell.

You know the company under fire here is Team Bondi, not Rockstar, right? Rockstar is looking to distance themselves from the situation.

It seems pretty clear now that Bondi is lucky Rockstar stepped in and basically saved the project with their name and some design philosophies. Would any of us have bought this game if we didn't know Rockstar was attached to it?

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#58  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

I feel guilty for even buying DLC, as some percent of that money goes directly to that douchebag McNamaras pockets.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Beaudacious

Well I'm not buying this game.

Swordfish9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By Swordfish9

Rockstar, worse than a sweatshop and a communist labor camp.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By Winternet

Man, I'm feeling bad for the guys working on this game. I was thinking of buying it when it comes out for the PC. But I basically will be paying for slavery.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic
    @ChernobylCow said:
    Well if it even matters, I am going to vote with my dollar.  RDR never really synced with me and why I love games and after all this I'm not really interested in buying a new copy of LA Noire.  Down the road I may get it used, like Red Dead.  Who knows.
    The worst part is I'm not sure which is worse: buying this game and possibly sending the message that working conditions such as these are acceptable or not buying the game and preventing the people who poured so much into this game from not reaping the rewards of their hard work. It's a moral quandary!
    Kontrapunkt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63  Edited By Kontrapunkt

Let my people go.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Aus_azn
    @bkbroiler said:

@Aus_azn said:

I don't care for this game in the least, but the more I hear about this, the more disgusted I am with Rockstar. May they burn in hell.

You know the company under fire here is Team Bondi, not Rockstar, right? Rockstar is looking to distance themselves from the situation.

It seems pretty clear now that Bondi is lucky Rockstar stepped in and basically saved the project with their name and some design philosophies. Would any of us have bought this game if we didn't know Rockstar was attached to it?

Well, I never bought the game, but I always thought Rockstar is partially at fault after the fiasco with Red Dead.

I wouldn't have bought the game, regardless. The Rockstar name for me has been a turn-off since GTA4.
    Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#65  Edited By Siphillis

And here I was, painting Rockstar as the bad guys.  Fuck McNamara.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By bkbroiler

@Aus_azn said:

@bkbroiler said:

@Aus_azn said:

Well, I never bought the game, but I always thought Rockstar is partially at fault after the fiasco with Red Dead. I wouldn't have bought the game, regardless. The Rockstar name for me has been a turn-off since GTA4.

Word. I kind of feel bad about having bought it now, too. Oh well.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#67  Edited By DarkbeatDK
    EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By EgoCheck616

@Swordfish9 said:

Rockstar, worse than a sweatshop and a communist labor camp.

Did you even read the article? Rockstar was in the right. Team Bondi fucked up.

RTFA

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By MachoFantastico

Makes me look at LA. Noire in a total different manner, while not shocked to read of such things happening, it's sad to see it at this scale and somehow involving Rockstar Games yet again. From what I've read it appears that Brendan McNamara is a pretty dislikeable fellow.

Feel for all those who worked so hard for the game and got absolutely no thanks for their hard work. Hopefully some action will be taken.

Makes that weird eye in the sky (tower) reference in the opening of the game even more interesting, possibly a shot at Rockstar games.

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#70  Edited By benderunit22

Now I feel bad for buying this game I don't even like or got even half-way through...

sprent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By sprent

If it is the case that adverse working conditions similar to the ones described here are commonplace in the video game industry and the likes, then there's no doubt in my mind that there is a serious need of unions here. Sadly, though, unionising at this point will prove to be an extremely challenging task. And with the game industry being global and there being a significant amount of people wanting to gain entry to it, I have my doubts about whether a unionising movement would succeed. Varying support from the consumers also doesn't help.

But for the sake of the game developers, it has to be done. Treating employees without respect and dignity like this is never okay, and the fact that the employees are enthusiastic about the industry and games doesn't change that - nor does "it's always been like this".

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Zabant
    @Keen_12: Office Space.
    tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73  Edited By tourgen

This quote from the article made me sick to my stomach, "it seems even more unlikely that any of these developers will step forward and give their names, either out of fear of lawsuit or blacklisting within the industry."

If that's the state of the game industry some serious ass kicking needs to take place.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#74  Edited By yukoasho
    @CrossTheAtlantic said:
    @ChernobylCow said:
    The worst part is I'm not sure which is worse: buying this game and possibly sending the message that working conditions such as these are acceptable or not buying the game and preventing the people who poured so much into this game from not reaping the rewards of their hard work. It's a moral quandary!
    There is no moral quandry.  Clearly these people aren't being compensated for their effort.  Buying the game is worse. 

At least Rockstar's been looking to straighten their ship after the reaction to RDR, and we haven't heard another EA issue in ages.   Hopefully the difficulty in finding a new publisher will either sink Bondi outright and push those employees into better jobs or force McNamara & Co. to change their ways.  I don't give a fuck how good a game is, we as gamers shouldn't tolerate this shit.
    StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#75  Edited By StingerMK2

this kinda makes me feel sick, not just for this industry but society on the whole. unfortunately its a cold, hard fact that a lot of people; especially as time goes on, see money and the economy being more important that other peoples well beings,

we live in an uncaring world, and we put too much emphasis onto the importance of earning a living and being rich over being happy and fulfilled, this whole situation just reminds me of the film Network, i fucking love that film, but to think its actually still very relevant sort of grosses me out

frythefly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By frythefly

Now that's reporting. Press hats off to Mr. McMillen.

blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By blacklab

I knew that McNamara guy was a dick. It came across in his interviews.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Sooty
    @bkbroiler said:

Would any of us have bought this game if we didn't know Rockstar was attached to it?

Yeah I would have because the Rockstar name doesn't carry the same amount of weight anymore. Not for me at least.  Plus I don't blindly buy games based on the developer/publisher. (and I knew that Bondi was developing, unlike many people on this site it seemed, which is sad)

Vice City and San Andreas were absolutely fantastic. GTA IV was a huge step back in terms of fun, Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV both suffered from being very repetitive with lots of going A to B missions with pretty boring driving. (I label horseback as driving in this case)

L.A. Noire was pretty average anyway. Great voice acting and polish let down by stale gameplay merchanics. Clunky as hell.
    Da_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Da_Madness

I'm honestly surprised that workers didn't strike. Hell the costs of the sick leave and retraining new staff in that company would be huge.

I wonder if Work Cover would be interested in taking a look at this company.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By yukoasho
    @not_a_moo_cow said:
    Treating employees without respect and dignity like this is never okay, and the fact that the employees are enthusiastic about the industry and games doesn't change that - nor does "it's always been like this".
    Exactly.  Allow me to take it one step further: if video games cannot be created efficiently without destroying human lives, then they don't need to exist.
    yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By yukoasho
    @Da_Madness said:
    I'm honestly surprised that workers didn't strike. Hell the costs of the sick leave and retraining new staff in that company would be huge.   I wonder if Work Cover would be interested in taking a look at this company.
    Well, people apparently just quit, probably left the game industry altogether (which results in a bit of a brain drain that the industry won't be able to sustain forever).  I imagine these are talented people who were more than able to get jobs outside of the industry, perhaps in IT or in business software.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By AuthenticM

Goddamn it video game industry, what the hell is wrong with you?

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Mijati

@AuthenticM: The video game industry sucks. I found this out first hand this week then I got given my notice on Monday and today was told that the company wants me gone today due to me disagreeing with something said in a meeting.

So if anyone knows any gaming companies recruiting a community manager at the moment, let me know.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By yukoasho
    @AuthenticM said:

Goddamn it video game industry, what the hell is wrong with you?

Its growth outpaced its maturity.  The industry exploded in the late nineties and early oughts, rather than growing gradually and the industry wasn't able to keep up with the sudden demands of a major industry.  Combined with a steady flow of new talent and there was never an impetus to be better. 

The industry is, however, going to have to shape up sooner than later.  Stories like this can't be very reassuring to people with any good amount of talent, and the rise of low-risk mobile games development will start to split the talent pool that is there.  Basically, either the industry will shape up, or we'll have the same lack of new people that Japan's industry is presently suffering.
    craigbandicoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#85  Edited By craigbandicoot

It's so sad to hear about things like this. Although in hind sight people are still buying shoes from sweat houses aren't they? This is just another version of people being taken advantage of. Albeit in a difference sense.

Knight244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Knight244

Is it really a surprise that a company that creates games that glorify vice to the extent of murdering nuns for achievements is filled with men that are sunk in vice?  It's only to be expected and it's hard to fathom that someone could be surprised at the revelation of the obvious.  Vice City indeed.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#87  Edited By 234r2we232

Rockstar: Well, we've made our money and increased our rep from this studio. Let's leave them to rot, and work on our next open-world crime game where you steal cars and make explosions YAY. 

So it's been reported now that Rockstar have allowed poor negative working conditions for two of their games? So long as they make their profits it's cool :/

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By forkboy
    @Hailinel: I absolutely agree.  There are obviously software companies that create a healthy work attitude.  And where you don't mind doing a crunch period because you realise that your project needs to get completed.  BUT with that said, there are far too many software companies who take advantage of their employees, their desire to work in the games industry & so forth.  And so the concept of the trade union is there, enshrined in law, to help protect workers rights from potentially shady employers.

@CrossTheAtlantic raises a valid point in that creating a union from scratch in an industry where one does not already exist is an incredibely difficult proposition.  Even getting a union into an office that has no union prescence is hard enough these days, with the employer often likely to "let you go" if he gets a whiff of talk of unionising.  But if actors can have a union, screenwriters another, cameramen & other behind camera employees another than it does not seem far fetched that if there was enough will from individuals to actually make the change it would be able to happen.  For anyone actually considering creating a union for video game industry employees (assuming you are Americans, if you are British & reading this then contact the TUC) I would recommend contacting your state branch of the AFL-CIO for advice.  Alternatively the videogames industry could consider joining an already-existing union.  For example in Britain, I'd recommend emailing the Director of Organising for Unite, who details can be found here: http://www.unitetheunion.org/organising.aspx

Right now though the industry is favoured heavily in favour of the employers.  It's a situation that makes me ashamed to buy games sometimes.  If the movie industry is able to sustain trade unions to ensure people aren't forced to work outrageous hours with inadequate overtime pay then I fail to see how there can be an argument against t he video games industry, which now a days is hugely profitable, having their own.  But ultimately the onus for action is upon the software developers, artists & so on to make the first move.
    AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#89  Edited By AlKusanagi

Sounds like standard operating procedure for many Japanese developers (hell, the entirety of Japanese businesses).

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#90  Edited By MisterMouse

man I hope all of this gets figured out and dues are paid.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#91  Edited By datarez

You can say the crunch is bad project management and they can learn from it. You can say the employees getting mixed messages on creating or changing content is also bad project management and could be fixed. But the lying to the employees for months on end about the reason for the crunch or implied rewards is horrible. I feel pretty bad about enjoying this game now.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Vexxan

It is indeed, The Fallen Idol.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By BBQBram

Hey I see the issue with crunching employees like that but boycotting the game, really? More for me I guess.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By kagato

Sounds like a work enviroment Activision would gladly support, i dont see any other publisher wanting to touch Bondi now but Activision are a company who view their employees as those extra dudes on star trek. The console blows up and kill one of them, another guy appears from no where, nocks him off the chair and continues where he left off.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#95  Edited By Claude

The video game industry is a nasty secretive business. A lot of consoles are manufactured at Foxconn in China and that place has a terrible history. If I wouldn't continue turning a blind eye, I probably would quit playing video games altogether. But I love playing them too much. Damn.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Lukeweizer

This why I was afraid to pursue a QA job in the industry (with hopes of making it to Producer). I love games as much as the next poster, but I don't think my sanity and sacrificing my personal life is worth it.

MrHammeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By MrHammeh

I more than likely would not of purchased LA Noire had all of this been brought to light before it was released.

Avatar image for deactivated-61abb009b221e
    deactivated-61abb009b221e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@Da_Madness said:

I'm honestly surprised that workers didn't strike. Hell the costs of the sick leave and retraining new staff in that company would be huge. I wonder if Work Cover would be interested in taking a look at this company.

You know, I was thinking exactly the same thing. The only reason I can only think why that wouldn't happen is that L.A. Noire was a passion project for everyone involved, or at least for the majority. Planning and executing a strike against either Rockstar or McNamara mid-development would risk losing the game's completion entirely.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By probablytuna

This should be turned into a game where we as the player have to interrogate all the interviewees to see if they're lying.

swat200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By swat200

I loved this game for the different direction it took in an industry swarming with military FPS's and sequels BUT i would of also gladly waited another year or 6 months if it meant the poor people working on it could have some normal work hours and time with their families.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.