Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

Any way to play vanilla TF2

Avatar image for thedeadcomedian
    TheDeadComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

TF2 is probably my favorite multiplayer shooter ever, but I stopped playing it shortly after you could start unlocking new weapons. I've tried some googling, but I haven't been able to find any vanilla servers. I want to play the game as it was in 2007-2008, any idea where I should go?

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think there are a few pure vanilla servers around but I doubt too many. As fond as I am of the old TF2, with the exception of a few aggravating weapons, I think the game is much better balanced and more complete now. Have you actually extensively played the game recently with all the new stuff or are you just against them in theory?

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Play on consoles?

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rotnac

Buy The Orange Box and play on the Xbox 360 (or PS3). It's about as close to vanilla TF2 that you can get.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Devil240Z

Yeah the 360 version is probably the best bet.

Avatar image for thedeadcomedian
    TheDeadComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nime: I mean I played the game briefly with unlocks back when they first came out. It was a nice change of pace, but then there was the inventory system and a bunch of other stuff I didn't feel like micromanaging. I enjoy unlock progressions in most multiplayer shooters, but that's not what I went to TF2 for. I just want to build turrets on 2fort again man.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedeadcomedian : I've had similar feelings about TF2. After it went free to play they put out and endless stream of new weapons and it didn't work with me. I put 533 hours into team fortress 2 and I'd bet less than 8 came from post free to play.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of people use stock weapons and do quite well in the game (I personally think that Scout's stock scattergun is the best one).
    The only issue is with melee weapons, with many of the unlockable melee's being straight upgrades off of stock weaponry.

Now, if you want to talk about obnoxious cosmetics...

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedeadcomedian: It sounds like you're mostly just being turned off by the idea of it. You can still play it and use nothing but stock weapons and do totally fine.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Play the PS3 version. Did that version even get patched at all?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.