Firewall And Anit-Virus Interfering With TF2

#1 Posted by Gunslinger (149 posts) -

I couldn't find any help on the Steam forums, so I thought I'd ask on here.

I have AVG Free 8.0 and Comodo Firewall. But they're interfering with the server browser on TF2, and it doesn't show any servers at all.

I read the FAQs on the Steam site, and it said that disabling the firewall is best, but I don't want to risk that, is there any other way I can adjust the settings on Comodo Firewall and AVG 8.0 so that it'll let me go online?

#2 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

I don't use any firewalls, antivirus, or spyware checkers. Just use your head, mate - or at the very least, get a better virus scanner than AVG (which I've heard bad things about).

I never heard of Comodo Firewall and frankly, unless you're carrying top secret data, Windows Firewall is enough.

#3 Posted by Yit (761 posts) -

I agree. I use very little protection. It only matters if you're doing large transactions with vast amounts of money.

But, Yeah, you have to take down your firewall / AVG. It's not letting TF2 talk to the internet.

#4 Posted by DeadlyPain (397 posts) -

Gunslinger - Disable all firewalls/security etc when playing games, your playing a game, you don't need that shit running in the background.

#5 Posted by Schizoid (1064 posts) -

Disabling your firewall isn't going to immediately get you hacked, trust me. I'm pretty sure you can add programs as exceptions on firewall software, if not, the firewall you're using is terrible.

#6 Posted by zeus_gb (595 posts) -

Anti-virus shouldn't really effect the game unless it's finds a virus or a false positive.
I would suggest that you add TF2 to the allow list of Comodo and turn off any IP filtering software you have installed such as Peer Guardian 2.

#7 Posted by Demilich (2599 posts) -

Common sense > the best firewalls.

#8 Posted by Bucketdeth (8003 posts) -

I use no protection at all and I can`t remember the last time I had a virus, yes it`s not smart at times but I hate anti-virus programs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.