Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

I have TF2 stuff. What do I do with it?

OrfBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OrfBC

I buy a lot of games on Steam, and so I end up with a fair number of Team Fortress 2 items in my inventory. Recently I've started getting a lot of spammy looking friend requests on my Steam account, and someone on another board I post on clued me in that it might be because of the Max's Severed Head I got from preordering Sam & Max Season 3. I haven't played TF2 since before hats even existed, so I had absolutely no idea of the economy that has grown up around these things. Apparently this hat is one of the most valuable items in the game!

Woo hoo, I done struck gold! Sweet, sweet TF2 GOLD! How do I unload this thing? Can I get Steam Wallet funds? Games? How much is it really worth (the guy on the other board said about $75)? I've done some searching around and found some cool TF2 trading sites with Steam API integration and all that, but they all focus on trading for other TF2 items, and again, I don't actually play TF2.

I'm asking here because GB is a nice place that would never scam me, so please don't try to scam me. Here's my Steam inventory: http://steamcommunity.com/id/orfbc/inventory/

Thanks!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ShaggE

Don't sell it, install TF2 and wear it around. The rage from wannabe traders will be GLORIOUS.

MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MC_Hify

You can trade it for whatever is tradeable through the Steam inventory you just have to find someone with something you want.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

You could trade it for other Steam games or other Steam inventory items (games like TF2, Portal 2, Spiral Knights, etc., that support the Steam Inventory system). 

I'd honestly keep it if I were you. It's one of the rarest items in the game because it was one of the first cross-promotional hats that they did.

OrfBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OrfBC

Sold my three Sam & Max items for $75! Apparently the complete set is a hot commodity. I kind of think I might have gotten lowballed actually, but the whole thing was just a weird windfall anyway.

As far as keeping them, why would I? Like I said, I don't play TF2, and if I ever do play it again, I'm really not the type to care about cosmetic pieces like hats anyway. And I think the window for this stuff has to be closing. If DOTA doesn't kill it with its own item market, you know what will eventually come out? Team Fortress 3. And then all this stuff will be worthless.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MAGZine

@OrfBC: There are some subreddits for trading items for games. Other than that, it might be wise to trade all of your items in for ref. metal, which is the easiest/most universal currency in TF2. From there you can get buds or bills or keys or leave as ref and sell (for cash) or trade for games.

But it'll take a while. It's not like there is a 'convert to games' button in your TF2 inventory. It all depends how much time you want to invest into it.

TF3 is still a ways out, since TF2 still has plenty of life, and DOTA and TF markets will be pretty stable from each other. Diablo 3 didn't kill the TF2 market, did it?

OrfBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OrfBC

I'm done now as those were the only items I had besides Left 4 Dead ones which I don't imagine are worth much, but interesting to know that there's a whole currency for this stuff.

Diablo seems different in that it's entirely sanctioned by Blizzard and they take a cut of every transaction, but I hadn't thought of it somehow. Definitely Blizzard's attempt to get in on crazy in-game item purchases, and what Blizzard sets their mind to, they usually achieve.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MAGZine

@OrfBC: Bill's hat is worth a fair amount. It's one of the main units of TF2 trade currency.

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By mscupcakes

@MAGZine: Yeah, I still get messages every week about people wanting my Bill's Hat. I haven't played TF2 in a long long time, I don't know how they even find me.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MAGZine

@mscupcakes: If it was vintage, that would explain it. Vintage bill's are very rare and highly sought after.

NinetySevenA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NinetySevenA

@mscupcakes said:

@MAGZine: Yeah, I still get messages every week about people wanting my Bill's Hat. I haven't played TF2 in a long long time, I don't know how they even find me.

There is a program that scans Steam profiles for rare TF2 items and low hours played. It's called sharking.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CaptainCody

@NinetySevenA said:

@mscupcakes said:

There is a program that scans Steam profiles for rare TF2 items and low hours played. It's called sharking.

That's fucking genius.

Talis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Talis12

@OrfBC said:

I buy a lot of games on Steam, and so I end up with a fair number of Team Fortress 2 items in my inventory. Recently I've started getting a lot of spammy looking friend requests on my Steam account, and someone on another board I post on clued me in that it might be because of the Max's Severed Head I got from preordering Sam & Max Season 3. I haven't played TF2 since before hats even existed, so I had absolutely no idea of the economy that has grown up around these things. Apparently this hat is one of the most valuable items in the game!

Woo hoo, I done struck gold! Sweet, sweet TF2 GOLD! How do I unload this thing? Can I get Steam Wallet funds? Games? How much is it really worth (the guy on the other board said about $75)? I've done some searching around and found some cool TF2 trading sites with Steam API integration and all that, but they all focus on trading for other TF2 items, and again, I don't actually play TF2.

I'm asking here because GB is a nice place that would never scam me, so please don't try to scam me. Here's my Steam inventory: http://steamcommunity.com/id/orfbc/inventory/

Thanks!

ive had people add me to steam as well because of TF2 items i had.. there's TF2 search sites around where people can search for those items and it will show your inventory on there if your profile is set to public.. i gave everything away for free myself, however if its such a wanted item just trade it for other games people have in their inventory that you would like to have..

NinetySevenA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NinetySevenA

@CaptainCody said:

@NinetySevenA said:

@mscupcakes said:

That's fucking genius.

http://gep.gibehatspls.gladosdan.com/

I don't really like it much. It's creepy enough when you get an unusual and people just start adding you like crazy. It would be even worse if you don't play the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.