Just started playing, how do I get new stuff?

#1 Edited by Venatio (4482 posts) -

So been playing alot as a Pyro and alot of the systems in the game is confusing to me, how does the crafting thing work? and how do I get new weapons and gear, besides buying them with real money?

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Every time you die you have a chance to get an item. Also some items are given when you do enough achivments for that class.  

Go here for all your TF2 info

#3 Posted by sporktacular (1 posts) -

Besides purchasing, trading and crafting, there are two ways to get new items: achievement milestones and the random drop system. Each class has 3 milestone achievements, which are unlocked after you earn a certain number of achievements related to that class. Each of these milestone achievements will unlock a specific weapon, for example, the first Soldier milestone unlocks the Equalizer.  

With the random drop system, you get items at fairly regular intervals. Just make sure you're connected to a server and online with steam friends. The items you recieve and the specific times you recieve them are randomized, and they're not tied to any kind of in-game performance. The items you receive are shown to you after you die, but dying has no effect on your chances to gain an item, and is not required to get new items.

The best resource for all this stuff is the official TF2 wiki: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Main_Page
The old wiki (at the .net address) was abandoned by most of the community in favor of the Valve hosted version, and it's pretty bad these days.

#4 Posted by Soap (3566 posts) -
@sporktacular said:
" Besides purchasing, trading and crafting, there are two ways to get new items: achievement milestones and the random drop system. Each class has 3 milestone achievements, which are unlocked after you earn a certain number of achievements related to that class. Each of these milestone achievements will unlock a specific weapon, for example, the first Soldier milestone unlocks the Equalizer.  With the random drop system, you get items at fairly regular intervals. Just make sure you're connected to a server and online with steam friends. The items you recieve and the specific times you recieve them are randomized, and they're not tied to any kind of in-game performance. The items you receive are shown to you after you die, but dying has no effect on your chances to gain an item, and is not required to get new items.The best resource for all this stuff is the official TF2 wiki: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Main_PageThe old wiki (at the .net address) was abandoned by most of the community in favor of the Valve hosted version, and it's pretty bad these days. "
This is pretty much everything you need to know. 

I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago, it's very confusing to get into this game so long after its release as it's changed so much but once you break through all the crazy it's a lot of fun. 
#5 Posted by kevin32 (4 posts) -

I think the game randomly drops items. You can also get it from the mann co store.

#6 Posted by FreakAche (2950 posts) -

I somehow got a Haloween 2010 hat, but I just started playing. I'm really confused.

#7 Edited by Roomrunner (791 posts) -
@kevin32 said:

I think the game randomly drops items. You can also get it from the mann co store.

Something I figured out (after playing this game just this weekend) is that there are a whole lot of items locked away from free-to-play players.    

To make sure all the random drops are made available to you, you need a premium account. 

To get a premium account you have to buy AT LEAST ONE THING from the store.  They dropped a crate on me a few hours ago that can only be opened by buying a key from the store, so I guess they got me there.  But to be honest, I'd probably have just bough a $0.50 gun or something in a couple days. 

I still have no idea how crafting works.  I guess it's a system made so that you have something to do with all your duplicate items and have no one to trade with.
#8 Posted by Riftoff (2 posts) -
@FreakAche said:
I somehow got a Haloween 2010 hat, but I just started playing. I'm really confused.
It's an achievement/ You got that because you dominated someone wearing the 2010 Halloween hat. It's one of the few hats you can get with a free account

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.