Meet the Pyro!

• 66 results
#1 Posted by RobotHamster (4236 posts) -
Loading Video...
#2 Posted by Wunder_ (1201 posts) -

Pretty good.

#3 Posted by Brake (1196 posts) -

People will probably be disappointed that there's no gender reveal or whatever, but I thought that was a-mazing. I love that he/she/it is basically just completely insane.

#4 Posted by Nekroskop (2831 posts) -

5 years and we still don't know who's behind the mask. Fun video regardless.

#5 Posted by theoldhouse (437 posts) -

Oh FUCK

#6 Edited by Lava (725 posts) -

That was fucking fantastic.

#7 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -

Awesome! So silly!

#8 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2167 posts) -

This was surprisingly underwhelming to me, hopefully the update makes up for it though.

#9 Posted by Mijati (1022 posts) -

That explains a lot.

#10 Posted by Phatmac (5919 posts) -

Mmmmmmmph mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

#11 Posted by Demoskinos (16319 posts) -

Fuggin' fantastic. Need to play some more TF2 soon.

#12 Posted by Moncole (666 posts) -

Pyro is a psycho.

#13 Posted by Bismarck (450 posts) -

So freaking awesome, just awesome.

#14 Posted by Cloudenvy (5874 posts) -

That was effing fantastic. Playing Pyro will never be the same again.

#15 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5148 posts) -

Now that I think about it, pyros are scary... well, in concept at least.

#16 Posted by AjayRaz (12662 posts) -

a joy to watch as always

#17 Posted by Natedogg2 (479 posts) -

I really want a flamethrower that shoots candy. I guess that would make it a candythrower.

#18 Posted by Maystack (928 posts) -

It's everything that I wanted and more. Now I just wish the site would load to find out about the new HATS!

#19 Posted by zaglis (912 posts) -
@SathingtonWaltz said:

This was surprisingly underwhelming to me, hopefully the update makes up for it though.

Agreed. 
This was not about the Pyro at all, this was about ponies and how much Valve loves to troll the community.
#20 Posted by MrXD (266 posts) -

The video never told us whatever or not the pyro is a male or female, but what the pyro seeing behind that mask is something that I never imagine.

#21 Posted by kalmia64 (117 posts) -

My heart. It swells.

#22 Posted by Village_Guy (2769 posts) -

That was awesome, now if only the game actually looked like that when playing the Pyro!

Rainbows, candy and unicorns - all while engulfing your enemies in an inferno of flames.

#23 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6652 posts) -

Great.

#24 Posted by Patman99 (1636 posts) -

It was pretty good but I still think "Meet the Sniper" is the best.

#25 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2167 posts) -

@zaglis said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

Agreed. This was not about the Pyro at all, this was about ponies and how much Valve loves to troll the community.

Unlike all the other "Meet the:" videos, it literally gave us no fucking insight into the character at all, other than the laziest fucking explanation I've ever seen: "Pyro is just crazy hahaha lololol get it guyz????" It gave the Pyro no personality, no obvious role in the team, NOTHING. It didn't establish any form of character whatsoever and the entire video came across as rushed.

#26 Posted by HellBrendy (1026 posts) -

@ahaisthisourchance said:

5 years and we still don't know who's behind the mask. Fun video regardless.

I don't wnat to know, but I was kind of hoping for something else. It is a great video, but it underplays the Pyro as a character, and the wonderland-thing could have been more violent. Why no airblasted rockets and only a heartless soldier (wich doesn't really make any sense anyway?). Why no suddenly burning spies?

#27 Edited by Pop (2690 posts) -

they did reveal if it's an he or she, and the answer is: it's and IT!

edit: also I hope that candy flamethrower will be added to the game.

#28 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -

I liked it but, like some, I was underwhelmed. All of the other videos truly demonstrate the personality of the character they're introducing, but this makes it seem like the Pyro is the character with the less personality. I wouldn't have wanted a face reveal or even actual dialogue from it, but I might have been happier with something else.

My favorite "Meet the..." video is definitely The Spy.

#29 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5148 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Maybe the Pyro doesn't have an elaborate personality like the rest.

#30 Posted by face15 (1368 posts) -

Awesome.

I was hoping for more of a reveal like some others in this thread, but I actually think this works better. Pyro is just nuts. End of story.

#31 Posted by metalsnakezero (2580 posts) -

No wonder it took so long, Valve needed to be on something awesome to come up with this for the Pyro.

#33 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen: Yeah. Guess it fits a character that has no gender, face or actual dialogue, in a way.

#34 Posted by RockinKemosabe (644 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@AlexanderSheen: Yeah. Guess it fits a character that has no gender, face or actual dialogue, in a way.

The Scout keeps saying "he" during the short interview thing.

#35 Edited by supamon (1339 posts) -

Wasn't what I was expecting but it was still awesome! They better add that rainbow spewing weapon in with the next update!

IF YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC

#36 Posted by Eidderf (517 posts) -

I really enjoy all these meet the videos (and even enjoy Team Fortress 2 even though it's only something I play now and again) but they kind of make me want Valve to get back to something more story driven more than anything. All they seem to have on the horizon at the moment is multiplayer games, I don't particularly care if it's a new ip or an old one, I'd just like another great story driven single-player valve game.

#37 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -

@RockinKemosabe said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Scout assumes it's a "he", but it's made ambiguous on purpose.

• Heavy calls it "that creature", giving it a genderless and mysterious vibe.
  • Scout calls it a "he" when he wonders if it's there, 'cause he's the Scout and of course he'd assume it's a male.
  • The music during Pyro's wonderland goes "Do you believe in magic, in a young girl's heart?"

There is no gender.

Inflatable Ballonicorn

#38 Posted by benjaebe (2870 posts) -

According to the latest blogpost, they won't release Day 3 until later tonight because it contains items from MtP. Rainbowthrower and lollipop axes confirmed.

#39 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1872 posts) -

sad that there was no gender reveal but still pretty good i guess

#40 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -

Also, the Source Filmmaker stuff is very interesting.

Loading Video...
#41 Posted by Demoskinos (16319 posts) -

Oh man I was hoping the Rainbow Thrower would be a real thing. This is magical now. Setting people on fire with Rainbows. I'm almost shocked Saints Row 3 didn't do this first.

#42 Posted by big_jon (6155 posts) -

I can't believe they are still making these, that was fucking awesome.

#43 Posted by pyromagnestir (4384 posts) -

That was fucking glorious!

#44 Posted by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -
#45 Posted by project343 (2876 posts) -

@zaglis said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

Agreed. This was not about the Pyro at all, this was about ponies and how much Valve loves to troll the community.

If that wonderful piece of comedy didn't entertain you then I think Valve has a lot more trolling to do.

#46 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2167 posts) -

@project343: It was a good video, but it feels like a step back from the Medic and Spy videos. Early Meet-the videos like Heavy and Engineer had basic one joke setups, with the character explaining their eccentric battle style with cuts to everyone else dying. Meet the Medic and Spy took this further - they established a narrative in which the class was the main character, but in which they interacted with other characters and eventually revealed their class-trump card. Then we got this, a plot-less one-joke montage. Just feels like this should have been made before the longer, more complex ones. Personally, if Whimsyshire had been shown on-screen for half a second and it went back to interviewing the other nine classes I wouldn't have hated it so much. I was expecting some actual reveal here, not some joke that has probably already been thought of on the internet, and then is dragged on for the entire Meet The video while I'm sitting here waiting for all this conspiracy BS that they hyped up with the banana peels and whatnot.

Why make a big deal out of this update with hints and stuff if MTP was just some stupid slapstick comedy short that reveals absolutely nothing interesting?

#47 Posted by valrog (3741 posts) -

Pause on 1:19 in the video. Female gender icon in the cloud. Goddamnit Valve.

Anyway, this was really unexpected and awesome at the same time. I hope Valve makes a full length film for the cinemas. Or at the very least, they make more of those (Probably not Meet The..., but Valve will figure something out) short films.

#48 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2167 posts) -

@valrog: Really just looks like part of the clouds to me. I don't see anything resembling a symbol.

#49 Posted by SlasherMan (1723 posts) -

@RockinKemosabe said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

#50 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -

@SlasherMan: The Scout clearly says "he" in the video, though.

I've actually gained a new appreciation for the video seeing it for a second time and realizing just how deranged the Pyro is. Unsettling.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.