Team Fortress 2 goes Free to Play...forever

  • 124 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Edited by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Someone jumped the gun on some interviews with Robin Walker, where they announce that TF2 is going F2P. I expect to see you all populating the damn Giant Bomb/Tested server now.

EDIT: Terms of free use, players who bought TF2 get a special hat, in order to be premium (if you never bought the game) you have to buy something in the store.

Account comparison:

FreePremium
Backpack:50 slots300 slots (expandable up to 1000)
Items:StandardStandard, Rare and Cosmetic
Crafting:Limited blueprintsAll blueprints
Trading:Receive items onlyFull trading
Gifting:Can receive giftsCan give and receive gifts

http://www.develop-online.net/news/38103/Team-Fortress-2-becomes-free-forever

http://www.develop-online.net/features/1325/Free-at-last

#2 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@benjaebe said:

I expect to see you all populating the damn Giant Bomb/Tested server now.

Hate to break it to ya, but the reason I never play TF2 isn't because it cost money.

#3 Posted by udabenshen (178 posts) -

I always assummed this was going to happen.  Sounds cool.  Its still one of the most fun games ever!

#4 Posted by Marz (5646 posts) -

guess they make enough money off the hats where they don't even care about TF2 game sales anymore.

#5 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@NickL said:

@benjaebe said:

I expect to see you all populating the damn Giant Bomb/Tested server now.

Hate to break it to ya, but the reason I never play TF2 isn't because it cost money.

same here
#6 Posted by Blackout62 (1329 posts) -

But I paid money for that game. I expect to be reimbursed in hats!

#7 Posted by Yorick (235 posts) -

I hope the community doesn't turn to shit now.
#8 Posted by Vextroid (1361 posts) -

@Blackout62 said:

But I paid money for that game. I expect to be reimbursed in hats!

People who bought the game get a Money hat! That would be cool...

#9 Posted by mracoon (4959 posts) -

It was only a matter of time at this point. More people playing the game is always a good thing in my opinion.

Moderator
#10 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

I got the game when it was free way back then for that one hour or so on steam, and after a good ten hours or so, I felt I was done. 

#11 Posted by rmanthorp (3885 posts) -

@mracoon said:

It was only a matter of time at this point. More people playing the game is always a good thing in my opinion.

Yep!

Moderator Online
#12 Posted by The_Nubster (2053 posts) -
@Vextroid said:

@Blackout62 said:

But I paid money for that game. I expect to be reimbursed in hats!

People who bought the game get a Money hat! That would be cool...

And those who bought it and don't play it? A money hat means nothing. I'd appreciate something that will be appreciated by everyone, not just a select crowd.
#13 Edited by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Yay I don't care!
 
Game still isn't to my liking, and with the f2p thing it'll flood :/

#14 Posted by Animasta (14650 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@Vextroid said:

@Blackout62 said:

But I paid money for that game. I expect to be reimbursed in hats!

People who bought the game get a Money hat! That would be cool...

And those who bought it and don't play it? A money hat means nothing. I'd appreciate something that will be appreciated by everyone, not just a select crowd.

if you bought it and don't play it, that's your problem innit? do you expect them to reimburse everyone who bought it?

#15 Posted by DEMONOLOGY_24 (521 posts) -

cool
#16 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1333 posts) -
#17 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -
@Yorick said:
I hope the community doesn't turn to shit now.
Lol.
#18 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@billnyethesciencepie said:
Anyone else not know this was happening? 
 
http://www.teamfortress.com/uberupdate/
This was pretty big news so I'd think those who didn't hear about it are in the minority. Still, I doubt you're the only one who didn't hear about it. 
 
I bought the game almost 2 years ago during one of the Holiday sales but I never got to play it because I don't have a computer capable enough. Kind of a waste, but oh well.
#19 Posted by Darkerkamikaze (54 posts) -

As long as they have a way to stop hackers, I'm fine with this.

#20 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1333 posts) -

       

  OMG GUYS
#21 Posted by The_Nubster (2053 posts) -
@Laketown said:

@The_Nubster said:

@Vextroid said:

@Blackout62 said:

But I paid money for that game. I expect to be reimbursed in hats!

People who bought the game get a Money hat! That would be cool...

And those who bought it and don't play it? A money hat means nothing. I'd appreciate something that will be appreciated by everyone, not just a select crowd.

if you bought it and don't play it, that's your problem innit? do you expect them to reimburse everyone who bought it?

Not really.
#22 Posted by mracoon (4959 posts) -

Valve are smart dudes, they launch this whole free-to-play initiative and then go ahead and make one of their most popular games free. They were basically giving the game away with all the Steam sales because they want more people to get Steam accounts and what better offer is there than free.

Also, Meet the Medic is awesome as expected. I'm glad they left Pyro for last as there's a lot of potential in that.

Moderator
#23 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

The game stopped being worth playing a long time ago.

#24 Posted by Beforet (2912 posts) -

I'm trying to remember if I bought TF2 as part of the Valve pack or by itself. This will determine if I'm kind of annoyed or not.

#25 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

I just hope Valve knows what they are doing... I bought it a LOOONG TIME AGO. They HAVE to give me a hat or something. 

#26 Posted by Gamer_152 (14054 posts) -

Valve, never stop being awesome.

Moderator
#27 Posted by MrKlorox (11208 posts) -

Took long enough. Still have no interest in actually playing it though. Games based on microtransactions are a real turnoff.

#28 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Blows my mind that people feel like they should get something for buying the game before it was free. Games drop in price over time. I got my $20 worth a long, long time ago. It's like complaining that you should get something because people bought it on sale for a dollar and you bought it at full price.

#29 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@MrKlorox: The game is still a solid experience without having to spend a dime on microtransactions. I haven't payed for anything other than the initial game purchase and I got some cool free gear that you randomly pick up. You don't have to buy stupid hats if you don't want to.

#30 Posted by crazyleaves (640 posts) -
@musclerider said:

The game stopped being worth playing a long time ago.

   
Thanks for sharing, your opinion is shit. See what I did there?
  
  
Here's hoping it all doesn't go to crap!
#31 Posted by BaconGames (3302 posts) -

It's a simple factor of maximizing efficiency. Obviously they can't raise the price but the question becomes what makes them more money, x number of people who buy the game vs. y number of items sold. Multiply number by dollar amount and I think they realized they'd make more money just inviting a shit ton of people into the game and letting them buy a thing here or there. Hell the game is 20 bucks but there are a lot of bundles in that store over the price of the whole game. Personally if I was a new player in this supposed F2P TF2, then I could easily justify setting aside 10 bucks (or 20) to buy stuff as if I were "buying" the game.

#32 Posted by Twitchey (865 posts) -

I was just about to buy this in a few days, being cheap has it's benefits.

#33 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

i hate what they did to tf2.... I loved it right up until they added the store.

But its good for PC gaming so yay?

#34 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

As long as they don't take stuff away from pre-existing players I'm perfectly fine with this.

#35 Posted by AURON570 (1672 posts) -

I have never bought anything from the in-game store. And the $20 I paid for the game years ago is still well worth it. Sure it's going to hurt a little seeing people who bought all the new weapons from the new update. But whatever, I'll get them all eventually whether trough random drops or crafting.

#36 Posted by ajamafalous (11866 posts) -

@Yorick said:

I hope the community doesn't turn to shit now.

This.

And it will certainly happen.

#37 Posted by Forcen (1806 posts) -

This is a great excuse for a TF2 TNT.

#38 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

I'm happy, they gave us (TF2 owners) a hat and some benefits. Valve... you are Gods among men.

#39 Posted by IamTerics (406 posts) -

I like the restrictions. Not too bad as free 2 play games go. I'm happy new people will play. I barely even care about the micro transactions since random drops and crafting is more fun.

#40 Posted by MrKlorox (11208 posts) -

I am now unable to log into Steam at all. Anybody having similar issues?

#41 Posted by Darkerkamikaze (54 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:

I am now unable to log into Steam at all. Anybody having similar issues?

I am as well.
#42 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1333 posts) -
LETS GO PRACTICE MEDICINE
#43 Edited by cyraxible (683 posts) -

@ajamafalous: Oh please. As if the barrier for entry to TF2 was high before this update. The community is too large to be complete shit, what matters are the subcommunities: your favorite server is what is more important.

#44 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -

@cyraxible said:

@ajamafalous: Oh please. As if the barrier for entry to TF2 was high before this update. The community is too large to be complete shit, what matters are the subcommunities: your favorite server is what is more important.

Exactly. Everyone who's had this game long enough has a select few servers they go to (for me it's usually Zombie Fortress) while most of the new guys will play almost exclusively on 2Fort. Nothing to worry about.

#45 Posted by GalacticPunt (1026 posts) -

@Darkerkamikaze: I came back from dinner and tried to launch good ol' Far Cry, and the servers are so slammed it couldn't authenticate. I go to the store and see the TF2 announcement. After a couple of tries I get the TF2 download to start. Now I'm part of the problem too! I AM CREDIT TO TEAM HA HA!

#46 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

@crazyleaves said:

@musclerider said:

The game stopped being worth playing a long time ago.

Thanks for sharing, your opinion is shit. See what I did there? Here's hoping it all doesn't go to crap!

Got me there, bro.

Even if you don't agree with it it's still just someone's opinion. I played the game for years with my friends and had a great time with it. I really liked what they did with the unlockables at first but felt that at some point they just got out of hand (hatpocalypse). The part of the game that appealed to me when I got the game at launch was that it was about team composition and everyone filling a specific role on the team. Then at some point they started changing the class roles so much that I lost interest in the game.

#47 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

So I'm getting it for free. So to be a premium member you have to buy something on STEAM or on a Team Fortress 2 store?

#48 Posted by B0nd07 (1697 posts) -

@musclerider said:

I played the game for years with my friends and had a great time with it. I really liked what they did with the unlockables at first but felt that at some point they just got out of hand (hatpocalypse). The part of the game that appealed to me when I got the game at launch was that it was about team composition and everyone filling a specific role on the team. Then at some point they started changing the class roles so much that I lost interest in the game.

That's pretty much exactly my experience.

#49 Edited by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

Its astonishing to see fellow gamers who don't appreciate a great game let alone a great game that's had multiple free updates that continues to keep us interested in it.   I'm looking forward to the demo's new hardware, seems like he could be a crazy good melee class.  Meet the medic was awesome as well.

#50 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Damnit, I want my refund! >_>

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.