Team Fortress 2 Is Now Free-to-Play Forever

#51 Posted by mracoon (4978 posts) -

@turbomonkey138: Didn't you have a server?

Moderator
#52 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Cubical: @djames216: @wrathofconn
 
From what I've seen (Half-Life 2, Super Meat Boy, etc.), it's just a bit strange to encounter a game so damn huge.
#53 Posted by LtColJaxson (1138 posts) -

Beats BF free to play...

#54 Posted by skyline7284 (508 posts) -
@EyeQueue said:

Ban these motherfuckers with their "first" bullshit. Please. Other than that - this is great news, and a smart way to breathe some new life into a 4 year old game.

Something tells me you just don't have the quest....?
#55 Posted by Jedted (2412 posts) -

I already own the Orange Box on Steam so this doesn't affect me it's nice that now everyone can experience the wackiness of TF2 for themselves. 
#56 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12108 posts) -

This is great! I am now totally justified in ignoring TF2 in all those steam sales! Now I don't even have to ever think about purchasing it ever again!

#57 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4956 posts) -

@mracoon said:

@turbomonkey138: Didn't you have a server?

No means to fund it :< had to cancel it.

#58 Posted by Shadowjester (93 posts) -

I guess its time for me to check and see what all the hub bub is about. 

#59 Posted by Protonguy (306 posts) -

The greatest online team based FPS ever is now free to play. I goddam love you Valve. My only annoyance with this is it's now impossible to get into a server :D, they're all full!

#60 Posted by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Cubical: @djames216: @wrathofconn: From what I've seen (Half-Life 2, Super Meat Boy, etc.), it's just a bit strange to encounter a game so damn huge.

Half Life 2 is nearly 7 years old now, and Super Meat Boy is a 2D platformer which is naturally not as size intensive as a large polygonal game with 775 million hats. They're not the best examples to use to judge the size of games.

Moderator
#61 Posted by wrathofconn (1453 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: For a game released in 2007, it's a little crazy, but there are probably bigger files out there on Steam. HL2 is older, and SMB is graphically much more simple, so that's most likely the reason for those comparisons seeming lopsided.

#62 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Cubical: @djames216: @wrathofconn: From what I've seen (Half-Life 2, Super Meat Boy, etc.), it's just a bit strange to encounter a game so damn huge.

Half Life 2 is nearly 7 years old now, and Super Meat Boy is a 2D platformer which is naturally not as size intensive as a large polygonal game with 775 million hats. They're not the best examples to use to judge the size of games.

Since you posted it they have added another 2 million hats. 
#63 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@MattyFTM
 
Perhaps I should have underlined "from what I've seen." Also, Steam's a bit odd with uninstalling. Some games appear grayed out, but others (Team Fortress 2, Trackmania Nations Forever United or whatever the hell it is) just disappear.
#64 Posted by DonChipotle (2843 posts) -

Well, I suppose it is time to finally hop on the TF2 train

#65 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

FUCK YUS!

#66 Posted by Doomshine (150 posts) -

"I mean, I already own the Orange Box version of TF2 on Xbox 360"
 
...so what you're saying is that you don't actually have TF2.

#67 Edited by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Some games appear grayed out, but others (Team Fortress 2, Trackmania Nations Forever United or whatever the hell it is) just disappear.

Only games you've bought will stay in your games list after uninstalling them. Since TF2 and Trackmania are free, you haven't bought them so they won't stay in your games list.

Moderator
#68 Posted by Cubical (637 posts) -
@Video_Game_King:  
 
The list is only for games you buy any free game you uninstall will never show up in your list ever after the cache file is removed from the PC you did not pay for it. 
 
Everybody who bought Team fortress 2 when it was not free will have it in there list.
#69 Posted by LordKorax (278 posts) -

I prefer "Free-to-Fray."

#70 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@weirdo said:

@EyeQueue: There's an achievement for that here :p so there's an actual reason to post "first" in comments

Yes, and if you're care about quests then you must be mentally disabled. This shit shouldn't be encouraged.
#71 Posted by mracoon (4978 posts) -

I'd like to do a weekly Bombing Run of the game but if I don't have control over the server it makes things a bit difficult. I'm not going to pay for a server either.

Moderator
#72 Posted by rmanthorp (4054 posts) -

I love this! Welcome all the new players!

Moderator
#73 Posted by zameer (606 posts) -

The only terrible thing I can think of is how there is no real penalty for people hacking in TF2. That $20 purchase tied to the rest of your steam account games was a pretty good deterrent.  
 
A douche can just create smurf accounts every time he gets VAC banned.. but the Valve guys are pretty bright and I'm sure they'll figure a way.

#74 Edited by zameer (606 posts) -
@MattBodega: It was arguably foreseeable (then again hindsight is 20/20), but no one really had the balls to call it outright. Props where they're due!
#75 Posted by Ghost407 (160 posts) -

This is great news... I've got a new comp on the way and have been wanting to play this with the PC/Mac community!

#76 Posted by Cubical (637 posts) -

This game is free to play now because the entire fucking world already owns it on Steam .. Just like when they gave portal away free since the wetnire world already owned that game Valve can make no more money on it  except  making people buy in game items since every fucking person in the world has it. 
 
Hell I ended up geting this game  3 times  and i was not even buying or trying to buy it.

#77 Posted by Winternet (8053 posts) -

Conclusion: Valve is making rivers of money from hats.

#78 Posted by Crono (2707 posts) -

This is a double edged sword. On one hand, what is stopping people from amassing 100s of idlers, running the game in text mode just to idle gear... what is stopping people from smurfing and hacking? Valve says on their F2P FAQ that they have countermeasure up for 'people who are intent on ruining your fun' so they have definitely put some forethought into this decision... but even so, hackers are a crafty lot and see these types of systems as a challenge that needs to be met more than a deterrent.
 
Also, does this mean vintage gear is worth even more now? XD

#79 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@Ghost407 said:

This is great news... I've got a new comp on the way and have been wanting to play this with the PC/Mac community!

Don't be silly, Mac users don't play games.
#80 Posted by Cubical (637 posts) -
@Doomshine: My respect for  Alex Navarro droped by half because he thinks Team fortress 2 and the orange box is a console noob shooter.
#81 Posted by Winsord (1301 posts) -

I stopped playing TF2 when they added in all the microtransaction stuff for hats and weapons, but I guess this is good for the four people who don't own TF2?

#82 Posted by Ghost407 (160 posts) -

@MysteriousBob said:

@Ghost407 said:

This is great news... I've got a new comp on the way and have been wanting to play this with the PC/Mac community!

Don't be silly, Mac users don't play games.

HAHA Touche!!! I almost left them out, but I didn't want to hurt their sensitive cult feelings...

#83 Posted by Demon_Sandwich (113 posts) -

as someone who bought team fortress 2 on a pc and was repeatedly destroyed by the masses playing that game. all power to the new guys.

#84 Posted by ShaggE (6699 posts) -
@Cubical said:
@Doomshine: My respect for  Alex Navarro droped by half because he thinks Team fortress 2 and the orange box is a console noob shooter.
I'm sure his respect dropped in turn when you assumed that owning a console version of a game means that you think it's console-only. (not to mention the use of "console noob shooter"... we get it, master race bla bla... games are games).
#85 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -
@Ghost407: Mac's can't run real games anyway They are slow as fuck and over priced with slow ass GPu's so they don't notice or go to Video game websites you can say whatever you want and they cant hear you. 
 
And Steve jobs is the next Hitler and Mac users are his brainwashed zombie army.
#86 Posted by imayellowfellow (558 posts) -

HATS COST MONEY

#87 Posted by Siphillis (1298 posts) -

Valve needs to reinforce the difference between Free and Premium accounts.  I'd imagine this is pissing some paying customers off.   
 
Then again, people are always pissed at Valve for some reason or another.

#88 Posted by decko5 (163 posts) -

"I mean, I already own the Orange Box version of TF2 on Xbox 360, and I'm currently downloading the Steam version as we speak. Because seriously, why the hell not, right?" 
 
why? BECAUSE you own the xbox version. THAT'S WHY

#89 Posted by LegendaryChopChop (1249 posts) -

Hats completely ruined anything redeeming about this game.

#90 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

Yay! They used my picture.

#91 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@decko5 said:
"I mean, I already own the Orange Box version of TF2 on Xbox 360, and I'm currently downloading the Steam version as we speak. Because seriously, why the hell not, right?"  why? BECAUSE you own the xbox version. THAT'S WHY
The Xbox version doesn't have any of the updates....IT's a totally new game.
#92 Posted by ProjektGill (753 posts) -

Hey, now the GB server might be more populated more often. Valve probably makes crazy money on hats anyways so it was smart for them to make it FtP.

#93 Posted by decko5 (163 posts) -

p.s. i just paid 10 bucks for this last week. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

#94 Posted by Spencer (252 posts) -

Calling the 360 Orange Box multiplayer shooter "Team Fortress 2" at this point seems ridiculous. The Uber Update was update number 218. Has the 360 version been updated once?

#95 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -
@Siphillis said:
Valve needs to reinforce the difference between Free and Premium accounts.  I'd imagine this is pissing some paying customers off.    Then again, people are always pissed at Valve for some reason or another.
Yes, actually this is pissing me off quite a bit. I mean I have delve hours and hours into that fucking game and I don't want a bunch of noobs ruining the game for me... On the other hand, that may be a very fanboyish way of looking at things. I'm actually on board with all this, as long as Valve does things the right way by giving us owners of the game, benefits along the way.
#96 Posted by Crushed (884 posts) -

@Crono said:

This is a double edged sword. On one hand, what is stopping people from amassing 100s of idlers, running the game in text mode just to idle gear... what is stopping people from smurfing and hacking? Valve says on their F2P FAQ that they have countermeasure up for 'people who are intent on ruining your fun' so they have definitely put some forethought into this decision... but even so, hackers are a crafty lot and see these types of systems as a challenge that needs to be met more than a deterrent. Also, does this mean vintage gear is worth even more now? XD

You can't trade gear if you're a free account, you have to buy something from the store to upgrade your account to trade, and the minimum amount you can add to a Steam Wallet is $5. So either way you're paying $5 to get a new copy of TF2 on a different account, just like before.

#97 Posted by Michaelblack18 (222 posts) -

downloading this game as we speak been wanting to play this forever and now i can thank you valve with your awesomeness

#98 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2120 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I'd download the Steam version, but it's about 7000 MB. What the shit? I thought that game sizes kinda peaked during the PS1 era. Even Final Fantasy VII, a game spread across three or four discs, is only 1.5 GB. Does anybody know how to uninstall a Steam game without deleting it from your library? I want to remember that this game is free.

Yeah, but it also has the entire Half-Life 2 / Source engine stuff there too. If you went to download Half-Life 2, it would be a relatively small download now once you have downloaded TF2.

#99 Posted by decko5 (163 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
@decko5 said:
"I mean, I already own the Orange Box version of TF2 on Xbox 360, and I'm currently downloading the Steam version as we speak. Because seriously, why the hell not, right?"  why? BECAUSE you own the xbox version. THAT'S WHY
The Xbox version doesn't have any of the updates....IT's a totally new game.
thanks for reinforcing my statement 
#100 Posted by Suevian (3 posts) -

I miss vanilla TF2

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.