Team Fortress 2 Is Now Free-to-Play Forever

#101 Posted by Onno10 (405 posts) -

Great, time to see what this is all about

#102 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@decko5 said:

@TheMustacheHero said:
@decko5 said:
"I mean, I already own the Orange Box version of TF2 on Xbox 360, and I'm currently downloading the Steam version as we speak. Because seriously, why the hell not, right?" why? BECAUSE you own the xbox version. THAT'S WHY
The Xbox version doesn't have any of the updates....IT's a totally new game.
thanks for reinforcing my statement

Uh...you're not making any sense Decko.

#103 Posted by decko5 (159 posts) -
@Suevian said:
I miss vanilla TF2
so i just jumped on tf2 last week what is the counter part to vanilla? is it like unlocked weapons and purchased items? im confuzzled 
#104 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@WickedCobra03

But I can't imagine the Source engine being that damn huge. I'm not sure how much space a physics engine eats up, but I can't imagine that 500 MB of the game's 700 MB are devoted to fucking around with the Gravity Gun.
#105 Posted by Onno10 (405 posts) -

Well it looks like the steam servers have exploded, the forum is down and downloading anything is impossible :)

#106 Posted by decko5 (159 posts) -
@nintendoeats: did you not read the article? alex said he owns the CONSOLE version but WHY the hell not get the steam version. so i said "BECAUSE you own the console version and not the PC version, that should be the WHY you get it. 
#107 Posted by Charles4U (29 posts) -

Thursday Night Throwdown??

#108 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

It'd be cool if you actually talked about the features or membership, but whatever

#109 Posted by zudthespud (3283 posts) -

I played it in a free weekend a while ago and didn't like it that much, but I'm still totally downloading it now.

#110 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@decko5: That wasn't what you wrote.

#111 Posted by kollay (1934 posts) -

Ah... sounds like some fresh bloods running around the field waiting to be shot, clobbered, roasted, blown, injected, and whatever wild shit there is.

Time to get back in. It's hunting season.

#112 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -
@MattyFTM

@Video_Game_King said:

@Cubical: @djames216: @wrathofconn: From what I've seen (Half-Life 2, Super Meat Boy, etc.), it's just a bit strange to encounter a game so damn huge.

Half Life 2 is nearly 7 years old now, and Super Meat Boy is a 2D platformer which is naturally not as size intensive as a large polygonal game with 775 million hats. They're not the best examples to use to judge the size of games.

That's an illegal number of hats, sir.
#113 Posted by RJPelonia (863 posts) -

Now to get a computer that can actually run TF2.

#114 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: The havok  Physics  Engine SDK used in half life 2 is 250MB   I have the Havok plug in for 3d Studio MAX maya and blender and that includes Tool for making games not the Code for physics it's self.

Game code is not what takes up the game Space  #d studio max is used to make games and it is far more complicated than any game code and it is tiny So is MAya and Mudbox/softimage  used to make  . it is the game content 3d models Textures and .WAV files.  

Softimage was used to make   Metal gear soild 4 one of the largist game data size ever made and it is puny file size on my hardisk. 

http://www.downeu.com/uploads/posts/2010-12/xsi-mgs.jpg 

Softimage also has a more advanced  Physics engine than anything a game has ever used EVER  and No game has physics this complex it ships with Lagoa multiphysics and the file folder for it in softimage 2012 is less than 100MB the entire Softimage program only takes up 500Mb on my harddisk I am looking at it now.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/20/lagoa-multiphysics-1-0-blows-our-minds-with-a-shockwave-of-charc/ 

Metal gear used Softimage face robot Tech ETC not lagoa the PS3 or xbox  will never handle it, or even the ps4 it needs a high powered PC workstation. 
#115 Posted by AlexW00d (6389 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: I can only assume you don't play PC games, but 7gb isn't really that much. Plus my TF2 install is about 14GB by now.

Also 4 cds is still less than one DVD. And a Blu Ray is about 35 CDs.

#116 Posted by Ohvee (145 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@WickedCobra03: But I can't imagine the Source engine being that damn huge. I'm not sure how much space a physics engine eats up, but I can't imagine that 500 MB of the game's 700 MB are devoted to fucking around with the Gravity Gun.

Assets take up a lot of space. It's not that complicated.

#117 Posted by Crocio (542 posts) -

Dave was right!

#118 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:

@Video_Game_King: I can only assume you don't play PC games

Not a lot.
#119 Posted by ShadowVirus (793 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said: 
They'll already have those 'Veteran' medals. I've got my 2007 one.
That's what I was thinking, but surely these new members will get one of those bronze medals like a lot of the current members. Not that it's a huge problem anyway. 
@DeeGee said: 

This just made me look at my 770 hours of TF2 and laugh. 60+ hours indeed ...

Ha, yeah, I know 60+ is nothing compared to everyone else, but I used to play the 360 version and have only been playing the PC version for a few months so far.
#120 Posted by Addfwyn (1945 posts) -

I bought this a long time ago and never played it, just wasn't my cup of tea, but games becoming free is always great to expand the audience, so I don't see anything bad with this.

#121 Posted by BaconGames (3545 posts) -

As far as I can tell free players can still earn items through achievement unlocks and random drops. However Valve is rightfully riding on the temptation to buy items from their store.

#122 Posted by armaan8014 (5440 posts) -
@GozerTC said:
@spartan1017 said:
Agreed!  This is cool.  I've owned the PC Orange box since I believe the Chirstmas after it came out.  TF2 has more than paid for itself over the years I've played, if it's free for all now that just means more targets for me to shoot. :)  
as in we dont have to buy it, free to download or just no monthly charges? (I never played this at home, I usually go out with friends for 5 on 5)
#123 Posted by EndrzGame (323 posts) -
@RJPelonia said:

Now to get a computer that can actually run TF2.

You should be able to run this just fine. The Source graphx engine scales really well to low end systems. It was mentioned earlier that a toaster could run this game. Pretty much true. I can play this fine on my 5 year old machine with a 1.8 Pentium Dual Core and a 9600 GT GPU.
#124 Posted by rndmtask (144 posts) -

Awesome. I'll be getting a new computer soon, since my shitty old laptop is shitty and old, so I'll probably hop on and play TF2 now.

#125 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

I removed Steam from my computer a while ago. Please put your games somewhere good, Valve.

#126 Posted by Pop (2648 posts) -

I was pissed for a while until I read the FAQ which was a relief, my main concern was people downloading the game going to a achievement server and getting a whole lot of items then trading them to different accounts but then I remembered you can't trade achievement items(without the gift wrap thing) and free accounts can't trade out. At least they thought about it and not just make all accounts the same.

#127 Posted by GalacticPunt (1092 posts) -

@nintendoeats: I understood his comment from the beginning, duder. Console TF2 and PC TF2 are totally different games at this point. Might as well have both.

@iAmJohn: Enough hats to fill the Staples Center!

#128 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5457 posts) -

I'm about to get a new computer that will actually be able to run this, so this is great news for me.

#129 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Not the biggest fan of arena shooters and I'm already a proud owner of the orange box on PC, but hey, maybe I'll take it for a spin tonight.

#130 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

One of the best multiplayer games in years, now free. Brilliant.

#131 Posted by FoolishChaos (447 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Great news, glad to have an influx of new players

This

#132 Posted by TekZero (2686 posts) -

Just wish I had a computer to run it. 

#133 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -

Seriously How is it fucking possible people can not run Team fortress 2 unless they have a Walmart PC from 1999? or has a crap intel intergated motherboard GPU I have not seen one of those things in a PC sold anywhere for years and they are not even on motherboards anymore.

It's not possible the worst bargin bin  Emachine walmart special computers from 6 years ago can run Team fortress 2  

Hell I even think the barbie computer they sold  can Do it.

http://www.idg.no/multimedia/archive/00020/Mattel_Barbie_PC_20283a.jpg

#134 Posted by Spike94 (735 posts) -

That's cute. Alex had the Xbox version of TF2. :) Only kidding, I'm no elitist, but isn't the PC version like....-the- best version? And there's literally like only 8 people that play on the PS3 at any given time, at least whenever I try to get on. Don't know how the Xbox is but I'd imagine it's not much better? But either way, yes, very good idear gettin' the PC version.
#135 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@Sweep said:

TF2 TNT please ^___^

This please. We already have a GB Server, may as well use it.

#136 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

This is really great, everything else f2p out there sucks compared to TF2. Downloading.

#137 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Well now Valve has the best free to play shooter on the market. Of course you need to download the PC version since you would be hard pressed to find a decent game on the 360 at this stage and its not really even the same game anymore.

#138 Edited by Zor (664 posts) -
@armaan8014 said:

as in we dont have to buy it, free to download or just no monthly charges? (I never played this at home, I usually go out with friends for 5 on 5)

1. You don't have to buy it, just install it from Steam.
  2. So, yes, it is a free download
  3. There are no monthly charges, however, a free account has limits on it. To get it to a normal account, you have to buy at least one item from their store, which does cost money. However (again), you do not have to do this if all you want to do is play the game. The extra stuff is just more bag space(50 vs 300 to 1000), trading (you can only get items on free), better random items(HATS, i think), crafting (can't make everything on a free), and gifting (same as trading, you can only get stuff on a free).
*found the faq, updated number 3*
#139 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@sofacitysweetheart said:

I removed Steam from my computer a while ago. Please put your games somewhere good, Valve.

Elaborate. What don't you like about Steam? It's an extremely simple system.

#140 Posted by Gritzor (2 posts) -

I heard a rumor that the people who bought the game when it was on sale get something special. Idk if it's true or not though....

#141 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -
@Cubical said:
Seriously How is it fucking possible people can not run Team fortress 2 unless they have a Walmart PC from 1999? or has a crap intel intergated motherboard GPU I have not seen one of those things in a PC sold anywhere for years and they are not even on motherboards anymore.

It's not possible the worst bargin bin  Emachine walmart special computers from 6 years ago can run Team fortress 2  

Hell I even think the barbie computer they sold  can Do it.

http://www.idg.no/multimedia/archive/00020/Mattel_Barbie_PC_20283a.jpg
TF2 runs terribly on laptops. I had a laptop that could run Crysis on medium settings, but I never got over 25 fps in TF2. Part of the reason is that TF2 is a real CPU-hog. If you're going to play TF2, play it on a desktop computer.
#142 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

So there is a God

#143 Posted by dorimajmun (49 posts) -

I want some kind of reward item for actually buying tf2. 

#144 Posted by RJPelonia (863 posts) -

@EndrzGame:You'd be surprised with what my computer can't run.

#145 Posted by Grainbrain (13 posts) -

Aww, I just bought TF2 a couple of weeks ago.

#146 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I can't believe there are ppl who doesn't have this game on steam yet.

#147 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2431 posts) -

I've been playing botmatch recently trying to make sense of the game. I hope the new players will make it easier to break into the online, since before it was full of obsessives who I couldn't compete against for shit.

#148 Posted by Error1355 (98 posts) -

I'll give it a shot now.

#149 Posted by l3illyl3ob (285 posts) -
@dorimajmun said:
I want some kind of reward item for actually buying tf2. 
You got one, the "Proof of Purchase" hat.
#150 Posted by Hef (1151 posts) -

If you own a PC and you're not playing this game...I feel bad for you. Also, idling is going to be freakin ridiculous now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.