Team Fortress 2 Is Now Free-to-Play Forever

#151 Posted by Onno10 (405 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
I can't believe there are ppl who doesn't have this game on steam yet.
it's probably thanks to people like you
#152 Posted by TheHT (10884 posts) -

Cool, maybe I'll play it a bit more now.

But then, maybe not.

#153 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@Onno10: or maybe it's grey names that are anti pc and pro consoles. No offense.
#154 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -
@Sweep said:

TF2 TNT please ^___^

I'm not a big fan of TF2 but I would be all for it being on TNT.
#155 Posted by redlitez76 (107 posts) -

cool i heard the game is fun to play but never tried it.

#156 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1446 posts) -

Do I get free hats for buying the game? Twice?

#157 Posted by Twiggy199 (496 posts) -

Goddammit, my mouse just broke cant play with a MacBook Pro's track pad aaaahhhh!

#158 Posted by EndrzGame (323 posts) -
@RJPelonia said:

@EndrzGame:You'd be surprised with what my computer can't run.

Well here are the system specs. If you don't have the equivalent or better than I don't know what to say.

Recommended:  Pentium 4 processor (3.0GHz, or better), 1GB RAM, DirectX® 9 level Graphics Card, Windows® 7 (32/64-bit)/Vista/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

#159 Posted by Trebz (487 posts) -

It's been out long enough (and, at times, cheap enough) that anyone who's wanted to buy it has bought it. Let everyone else in on the fun/hats.

#160 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

@Brendan said:

@MysteriousBob said:

@Cubical said:
Team fortress 2 runs on toaster if you cant fucking run this game on your PC then you are one sad person.
Fuck you.

The pure anger in this response made me laugh.

oh man, me too. but then I felt kinda bad because damn, his computer can't even run TF2! :( very sad.

#161 Posted by Onno10 (405 posts) -

Hey just a heads up: If you download the game you are still not a 'premium member'
However, buying a single item in the 'manconomy' shop gives you full membership (like you bought the game before it got free)
The cheapest item is 39 cents

#162 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@Onno10 said:
Hey just a heads up: If you download the game you are still not a 'premium member' However, buying a single item in the 'manconomy' shop gives you full membership (like you bought the game before it got free) The cheapest item is 39 cents
You have to use Steam Wallet though, and the minimum amount you can purchase for that is $5.
#163 Posted by OldManLight (828 posts) -
@ds8k

What do you mean Orange Box version? Do you mean console version? Last I checked my Orange Box version IS the Steam version.

Dude that orange box version on 360 is so far removed from what's now on steam that you may not recognize it. Good on them for trying something new. Now to find a tf2 ringtone for my cell.
#164 Posted by Onno10 (405 posts) -

Looks like a lot servers are banning all the new people that are playing the game for free.
...sigh.... valve community...

#165 Posted by Hichael (159 posts) -

Is the game going to have ads then?

#166 Posted by dudeglove (7687 posts) -

@CrazyNinja said:

@Sweep said:

TF2 TNT please ^___^

I'm pretty sure they had one recently, but I wouldn't be that surprised if they did.

Tested has its own server, but it would be nice to see GB stepping up. I'm surprised there's not more of a TF2 community on this site.

#167 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@Onno10 said:

Hey just a heads up: If you download the game you are still not a 'premium member' However, buying a single item in the 'manconomy' shop gives you full membership (like you bought the game before it got free) The cheapest item is 39 cents

You need to deposit at least 5 bucks. You can use the change to buy Steam games or more hats.

It only costs 5 bucks to upgrade your account.

#168 Posted by HairyMike87 (1015 posts) -

I just bought this like a month ago. I wouldn't have if I knew this was going to be free. Oi.

#169 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

Oh, man, that monthly fee was killer. Good thing they got rid of that.

Wait, what.

#170 Posted by gbrading (1994 posts) -

Insane. Valve has either lost it or they're the smartest guys in the room. I'm opting for the latter.

#171 Posted by afrofools (1313 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I'd download the Steam version, but it's about 7000 MB. What the shit? I thought that game sizes kinda peaked during the PS1 era. Even Final Fantasy VII, a game spread across three or four discs, is only 1.5 GB. Does anybody know how to uninstall a Steam game without deleting it from your library? I want to remember that this game is free.

In your library right click the game and click uninstall/delete/remove or whatever it says and the game will be deleted from your computer, but it will remain in your library so you can download it again. Games that are not on your computer display in grey text.

#172 Posted by KuribosShoe (640 posts) -

@afrofools said:

This fucking sucks. I'm finally getting a real computer and will be able to play my Team Fortress 2 game that I have purchased, and they make it free so you get the kind of people joining matches that are cheap assholes and don't really care about the game, because if they did care they would have paid (save the few kids that can't use credit-cards, which are probably whinier shits than this rant to begin with).

#173 Posted by Mercanis (660 posts) -

@afrofools said:

This fucking sucks. I'm finally getting a real computer and will be able to play my Team Fortress 2 game that I have purchased, and they make it free so you get the kind of people joining matches that are cheap assholes and don't really care about the game, because if they did care they would have paid (save the few kids that can't use credit-cards, which are probably whinier shits than this rant to begin with).

Might I suggest finding a server with a good set of blokes you feel comfortable playing with? It took me a few tries, but I eventually came across the Fun-gineers server:

http://www.fungineers.net/

They've got a fun community with varied levels of skill. And, most importantly, they have moderators who ban griefers.

#174 Posted by Maginnovision (484 posts) -

@afrofools:

It has been damn near free MANY times. Your rant, as you stated, is very whiny. It also doesn't take much of a computer to play TF2, not even at maxxed visuals.

#175 Posted by briangodsoe (487 posts) -

This is great news. Now there is no excuse for anybody to not play it. 

Now I need to start playing again.

#176 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Downloading now.

#177 Posted by NoookNookNook (12 posts) -

TF2 is really the best -team- multiplayer game.  Nothing is more satisfying  then a good 5CP match between two equal teams.  Now its free!  Noobs, watch some of these vids as you download TF2 on steam... : http://www.tf2tactics.com/ site is  outdated but lots of core concepts to understand that are still relevant.

#178 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

See you at the control point noobs!!! Gonna have some fun watching you all die!! Seriously, welcome to all the new players! :D

#179 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1867 posts) -

lovely, I have to download ALL 9GBs of it all over again >_< and my internet isn't very fast, and my computer's processor limits me to pretty much Sniper, Demoman and Medic to play as.

#180 Posted by LoggerRythm (190 posts) -

Fist Bumps all around.  Boosh!

#181 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1899 posts) -

@Halberdierv2: That god damn hat store is such a huge drain on my bandwidth. I've never bought a single one but I've downloaded them all!

#182 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

Awsome!!!

#183 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

@Sweep said:

TF2 TNT please ^___^

I second this

#184 Posted by Chirag4 (585 posts) -

So what do free members get and what do premium members get?

#185 Posted by AlexAlterisio (88 posts) -

I personally lost interest in TF2 a while ago but this makes me want to take a look again and see what's new.  Looks like their strategy is working.
#186 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

player count went from like 25k a day to near 70k a day and is the most played game on steam now over Counter Strike....  people like free stuff :)

#187 Posted by Hellstrom (199 posts) -

I love Valve.

#188 Posted by UItros (20 posts) -

I really wish I had a PC for gaming :*( Everyday I play the outdated version on the 360 from the Orange Box, and have a blast. I cannot imagine how fun the PC version must be ;    - ;

#189 Posted by Nictel (2380 posts) -

I want to see the rant thread of the people who bought it the day before.

#190 Posted by beeftothetaco (420 posts) -

CSS is still 19.99 USD. Interesting.

#191 Posted by liako21 (519 posts) -

great.....i bought tf2 last year for $20.......

#192 Posted by Glak (613 posts) -

Well this explains why all my friends suddenly owns the game

#193 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2376 posts) -

Now I'll finally be able to play.

#194 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

If only I didn't buy it >< 
#195 Posted by aidros (233 posts) -

must download. can't wait to sap some sentries!

#196 Posted by AURON570 (1672 posts) -

I love how they updated the matchmaking/server browsing for new players. It used to be only one or two servers were active in my history list, now ALL of them are almost always active and close to or full!

Yeah, dealing with newbies is frustrating sometimes. Heck maybe I'll try being a coach or something, find a USB hub, connect my mic and get teaching!

#197 Posted by wolfbaru (19 posts) -

Great :( i finally decided to buy this game a week ago.

#198 Posted by ratscats (17 posts) -

Owned the game for 4 years after I purchased the Orange Box and loved it ever since.

Having more players online is great, but I hope there are least 10 servers just for premium purchasers and the rest for everyone else.

#199 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

One step closer to Valve taking over the world...

#200 Posted by QuSpec (11 posts) -

I can't find any servers when I'm about to play and if I do(happend one time) it would't connect to it. Do anyone have teh samr problem? 

Alla my other steam games workes perfect..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.