Team Fortress 2 - Vanity Items

Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Maggots! Pills here!
So yesterday I was drawn back into Team Fortress 2 after reading the 119th update blog. Why?

Because they offered medals to stick to your dude with different values depending on when you started playing the game. First day buyer as I was, I naturally had to jump in and stick that sucker to my soldier. He's already carrying Bill's beret after I pre-ordered L4D2, something I only did through Steam in order to get said item.   So yeah, I'm a sucker for vanity items. Even if it does absolutely nothing to affect the gameplay, I rarely hesitate to take certain routes to get stuff that makes my characters look slightly different. 

What's your opinion on virtual items? A waste of time to develop over new gameplay features? Would you ever pay a buck to kit out a virtual character with some hat or does it have to serve an advantage in gameplay? Where should the line be drawn?
#1 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Maggots! Pills here!
So yesterday I was drawn back into Team Fortress 2 after reading the 119th update blog. Why?

Because they offered medals to stick to your dude with different values depending on when you started playing the game. First day buyer as I was, I naturally had to jump in and stick that sucker to my soldier. He's already carrying Bill's beret after I pre-ordered L4D2, something I only did through Steam in order to get said item.   So yeah, I'm a sucker for vanity items. Even if it does absolutely nothing to affect the gameplay, I rarely hesitate to take certain routes to get stuff that makes my characters look slightly different. 

What's your opinion on virtual items? A waste of time to develop over new gameplay features? Would you ever pay a buck to kit out a virtual character with some hat or does it have to serve an advantage in gameplay? Where should the line be drawn?
#2 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

I love them, it helps add to the game. Although I didn't pre-order Sam and Max, because frankly I'm not paying 30 bucks for a bunny hat.

#3 Posted by IncredibleBulk92 (936 posts) -

For a bunny hat? You may have missed the point of the Sam & Max season... 

That said I'm a sucker for unlocking stupid vanity items, I gladly went back to shops in Mass Effect 2 just so I could get new armour pieces and I'll do it again in Mass Effect 3.   Just got my first hat in TF2, the soldier's saucepan.  Really wanted one of the Pyro hats, they're by far the best.

#4 Posted by Brake (1131 posts) -

I wouldn't pay for one just to have it. Like Bill's hat, I really like it and I think it's an awesome hat, but I didn't pre-order L4D2 just to have it, cause I knew that I wasn't gonna play L4D2 that much.

#5 Posted by Bigandtasty (3204 posts) -

I love vanity items, but I wouldn't want to pay for them, and they wouldn't provide much tilt when deciding whether or not to preorder.

#6 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I would have gotten the gold medal if I had gotten the game on PC instead of the friggin' 360.

STUPID STUPID STUPID

#7 Posted by jasondaplock (263 posts) -

I had already played and enjoyed the existing Sam & Max games, so the bunny hat was merely the kick I needed to pre-order the third season. I am all for flavor customization in games like TF2 so long as any user-generated component of it has some required proving grounds before getting in the game (something Valve has done fine so far). 

And as any TF2 player will assure you, Valve spends plenty of time changing the actual game even while making hats.

#8 Posted by DaftIngenuity (11 posts) -

I think that vanity items are a cool thing that gives a game personality, but I wouldn't pay for these items unless it came with a pre-order or expansion of some sort.

#9 Posted by Snail (8662 posts) -

I think TF2 was a good game when it was released. Now it's broken. The cancer began on April 29, 2008, according to your link.

#10 Posted by Damolition (120 posts) -

I'm all for them as they add to the versatility.

#11 Posted by takua108 (1483 posts) -

They should have made a medal for those who PREORDERED the game and participated in the beta. :\ 

Also, I was just thinking earlier today about how fucking much the game has changed since its launch. Not even including the new weapons and items: 

• Spies (with the default watch) can pick up metal and ammo to increase their stealth gauge
  • Dispensers and teleporters can be be leveled up (I can't even remember, but I'm pretty sure you couldn't level up dispensers back in the day...?)
  • The scoreboard shows icons for the different classes
  • Arena mode
  • Payload mode
  • Tags in server browser (how did we ever live without this?!)
  • Tons of other changes and fixes I can't think of off the top of my head
I love TF2 and its continually changing and updating nature. It keeps the game awesome, even after what, like three years?
#12 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

They wimped out my flamethrower so I don't give a fart.

#13 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

They only gimped the flamethrower for the W+M1 Pyros. The flamethrower is actually much more useful now.

Anyway, I think vanity items are cool even though I don't have any, and I don't understand people who have something against them.

#14 Posted by AliZeyk (20 posts) -
@takua108: 
You've prob already seen it, but they did add a beta badge (wish I had it, but I'm stuck with first day buyer (laptop at beta time was not good enough to participate)).
There's also KOTH mode that they added, and other community made modes are in consideration for future release.

BTW, I am so glad for payload, it makes TF2 play completely differently than any of the other modes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.