TF2: Arena Mode

#1 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

Well, it's not that I'm not grateful, cause I appreciate valve supporting their customers. But:

1) Does sudden death actually work in TF2? As it plays out in most server, the last players are engineers who are sentry humping, or one team is utterly obliterated.

2) I was kind of hoping for something more than sudden death CP, but I'll take whatever I get.

#2 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

Yeah, hopefully they'll tweak it a bit. But overall I think it sounds ok

#3 Posted by cool_myll (23 posts) -

[quote] The round ends once one team has no players left in the arena, or when the central capture point has unlocked and been captured.[/quote]

So no  turtling :)

#4 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -
cool_myll said:
"

[quote] The round ends once one team has no players left in the arena, or when the central capture point has unlocked and been captured.[/quote]

"
Exactly, Valve has thought this through. They have made one of the most balanced shooters of all time so far, and this will continue the trend.
#5 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -
cool_myll said:
"

"
I don't get how that prevents turtling...?
#6 Posted by DanCarmichael (220 posts) -

Play the game type and you'll see how quickly engineers are taken down. Metal is low on these maps.

Also they are a lot smaller so people are wondering round the map over and over till the CP opens.

#7 Posted by ColumnBreaker (1162 posts) -

I really can't convince myself that this gametype belongs in TF2. It's as if they're trying to bridge the gap between CS and TF2, and while that's great for getting the ppl that only want to deathmatch out of CP/PL/CTF servers, all I can really say is I hope lumberyard shows up in other gametypes.

#8 Posted by SonicBomb (686 posts) -

Cool.

#9 Edited by DanCarmichael (220 posts) -
SonicBomb said:
"Cool."
Thanks for the input.
#10 Posted by 10MP (311 posts) -

whenever i play arena mode my game crashes :|

besides that it's fun but there are a lot of idiots who just run off and die

#11 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -
It's never too late to make it melee only :D

I haven't actually tried out this mode yet, the reviews have been mixed

I can't un-underline these words!!!
#12 Posted by Thordain (959 posts) -

I actually enjoy arena mode. I like how there's more of a focus on staying alive. Lumberyard has become one of my favorite maps.

#13 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -
BoG said:
"Exactly, Valve has thought this through. They have made one of the most balanced shooters of all time so far, and this will continue the trend."
I couldn't agree more with you, Valve have seriously created one of THE BEST online shooters ever hands down. The support, updates and general dedication TF2 has recieved from both the community and the developers has been great. And the fact they are going through each class one at a time with updates instead of one big update is even better.
#14 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

My local 24/7 2fort server got converted into a 24/7 lumberyard server. Hm.

#15 Posted by Demilich (2599 posts) -

I don't like it. It reminds me of the arena in WoW which I hated more than the illegitimate offspring of Cancer and AIDS.

inb4 "you sucked at arena". Which I didn't.

#16 Edited by Tovan (633 posts) -

I love it, it promotes more teamwork in the game than the regular PUG. Valve knows what they're doing, and they don't care if everyone likes it, so if you don't like it, don't play it. There is enough of other modes and maps to play.

#17 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

I like it, because for some reason I'm better at it then normal TF2. I will probably still play the other modes more, but won't neglect arena.

#18 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -
Tovan51 said:
"I love it, it promotes more teamwork in the game than the regular PUG. Valve knows what they're doing, and they don't care if everyone likes it, so if you don't like it, don't play it. There is enough of other modes and maps to play."

I hate these kinds of comments, no offense. If someone doesn't like something, they have every right to criticize it. Along the same lines, if you don't like to hear their criticism, don't listen.

I still haven't been able to play this new mode. I hear good things about Lumberyard, though.
#19 Posted by Demilich (2599 posts) -

It's a nice environment. I hope to see more soon.

#20 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

All right, I finally got around to playing arena mode. Lumberyard looks nice, but arena doesn't. Well and Granary are ok.

It's not a game mode that would work well on pub servers. The team that wins is the one with a bit of luck (you need to be alert and aware of spies and enemies) and a lot of planning. A team with well-coordinated medics, soldiers, and engineers can totally dominate the game. In pub servers, its hard to get people to switch to a useful class from something like pyro.

I didn't have to wait long, but I got screwed over a lot by spies. I'm an above average player, yet I did just as badly as everyone else on my team. All it takes is one thing to go bad and you could be dead (snipers and spies are dangerous) and you have to be very cautious. You generally do better if you just stay near base and camp, I had more success doing that than if I ventured out.

Its a decent game mode, I didn't really have a blast playing it, but it didn't bore me, either. It's a nice break from the usual spamfest deatmatching that occurs in most pub servers.

#21 Posted by _blank (51 posts) -

lumberyard is probably one of my favorite maps now. I usually just play servers with 5-8 people though since i dont like waiting forever to play again

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.