#1 Edited by HBK619 (162 posts) -

TEAM FORRRRRRRRRRRTRESS 2!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Edited by Rincewind (258 posts) -

TF2

is my summer jam

#3 Posted by FireSketch (827 posts) -

NO HEAVY NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

#4 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

I kinda wish Valve did cinematic cutscenes in their games after watching these videos.

#5 Posted by crazyleaves (648 posts) -

It'll grow back. *no it won't* 

#6 Posted by Jonathan (658 posts) -

"Kill Me" 
"Soon" 
Get's me every time.

#7 Posted by Sogeman (874 posts) -

It's fantastic

#8 Posted by ArkHunter (46 posts) -

Wow, still putting those out? I thought they gave up. They must have some free time. I do love these though.

#9 Posted by metalsnakezero (2339 posts) -

Valve should really become the next Pixar Studios. 

#10 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -

We waited like 5 years for this?!!! ITS TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!

#11 Posted by fox01313 (5088 posts) -

Video is just awesome, would like it if the TF team would do more videos like this for the different maps/modes or just random stuff as the humor in these are hilarious.

#12 Edited by buckybit (1455 posts) -

I met the medic ... and I don't care too much. But that's completely beyond the point ( - what I like).

Valve's F2P move is bold, some want us to think. They are shaking up the industry again - some say. I can't see that. Maybe I am blind. They reached a market saturation with their game and made a business decision which reflects what they do with TF2 - besides patching it 200 times - they experiment.

They could sell their full game version again and again to new customers, but that would take a very long time and they would sell only small amounts*. Giving it away for free and up-selling (let's see what they will come up with in the next 1-2 years?) makes lot's of sense. It's almost like the Steam client itself. Giving away Portal 1 so people would install their Steam client and hence buy games from their store.

But I don't think this will 'shake up' anything. Quake Online didn't stop people from buying new shooters. Nor Battlefield Online etc... - it's just one entry level for a certain group. Plenty of fish in the sea...

*they like to read their stats (the most precious data in the industry: Steam stats).

#13 Posted by trombone (13 posts) -

watch it on youtube if you're not a paid member. you're missing a lot of detail with out the 720p. It's fucking amazing.

#14 Posted by Zerodash (19 posts) -

...wouldn't that dude's eyeball have grown back if he was shot with the healing gun?

#15 Posted by KosmoK (63 posts) -

That's the best "Meet the ..." video since "Meet the Sniper". I've still got the videos they put out on on the XBox Live Marketplace. Brilliant. Always fun to watch.

#16 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -

Really hope they turn this intro some sort of series after meet the pyro comes out in 2014.

#17 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

TF2F2P!

#18 Posted by bassman2112 (850 posts) -

I won't lie... This is probably my favorite video I've seen on the net for several months =) Definitely worth seeing in HD, as well hahah. Thanks for uploading this, Ben!

#19 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -
@buckybit said:

I met the medic ... and I don't care too much. But that's completely beyond the point ( - what I like).

Valve's F2P move is bold, some want us to think. They are shaking up the industry again - some say. I can't see that. Maybe I am blind. They reached a market saturation with their game and made a business decision which reflects what they do with TF2 - besides patching it 200 times - they experiment.

They could sell their full game version again and again to new customers, but that would take a very long time and they would sell only small amounts*. Giving it away for free and up-selling (let's see what they will come up with in the next 1-2 years?) makes lot's of sense. It's almost like the Steam client itself. Giving away Portal 1 so people would install their Steam client and hence buy games from their store.

But I don't think this will 'shake up' anything. Quake Online didn't stop people from buying new shooters. Nor Battlefield Online etc... - it's just one entry level for a certain group. Plenty of fish in the sea...

*they like to read their stats (the most precious data in the industry: Steam stats).

You are right, but don't you dare compare Quake online and Battlefield online to TF2... I mean, TF2 is one of the most loved multiplayer games ever. It's the bread and butter of pc gaming enthusiasts for multiplayer and it has been for over 5 years so yeah... This F2P thing will be a huge deal. I've played this game more than any other game in my life and this move is scary but one that I have good faith on so I welcome all the new members. See you on the control point.
#20 Posted by Protonguy (306 posts) -

Fantastic. Just fantastic. I really want them to do a whole movie. About 150hrs i've spent in TF2 and I regret not one second.

#21 Posted by Springfart (350 posts) -

we must stop little baby!

#22 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

Easily my favourite of the TF2 videos, and not just because of the John Woo doves.

#23 Posted by ajamafalous (12120 posts) -

I think Meet the Spy was better, but it's cool to see how they justify ubers.

#24 Posted by MiniPato (2747 posts) -

@Zerodash said:

...wouldn't that dude's eyeball have grown back if he was shot with the healing gun?

It did, but you can't see it under the eyepatch.

#25 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I really don't like MP games, but I think I'll eventually end up giving this a go.
Also, amazing trailer! ^^

#26 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

That's a hell of a piece of equipment the Medic's got there; it even repairs clothes!

#27 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3450 posts) -

Best multiplayer shooter ever. 

#28 Posted by Creigz (183 posts) -

This is awesome. I saw this last night and was pleased with the result. I still like the Sniper one the best so far though.

#29 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1496 posts) -

Interesting direction, now to wait for people to find the easter eggs

#30 Posted by Jayzz (592 posts) -

Such a great video, wow. Valve is THE best company around.

#31 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I had no idea that Team Fortress 2 had a story. Since when do multiplayer games have a plot? (Keep in mind that Left 4 Dead came out long after this game.)

#32 Posted by TheAdmin (714 posts) -

Makes me wish this would come true:

#33 Posted by FlipperDesert (2103 posts) -

That was... The most epic thing I've seen in a long time. You could say it was uber.

#34 Posted by Hexogen (766 posts) -

These just get better and better.

#35 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -
@Deusx said:
We waited like 5 years for this?!!! ITS TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!
Unlike Duke Nukem Forever.

I just went back and played TF2 again after having stopped a while back... couldn't tear myself away. The game's sooooo good now, with tons of items and lots of polish. Of course, I'm still eagerly awaiting BF3 and the like, but with TF2 as good 5 years after release as it is, it surprises me that people were so hyped for Brink as its successor.
#36 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1723 posts) -

@AlwaysBeClothing said:

Interesting direction, now to wait for people to find the easter eggs

there is at least one hidden thing. If you pause the video at 0:56 you can see someone watching the Medic/Heavy. Maybe the Administrator? Or Miss Pauling?

#37 Posted by zaglis (910 posts) -

Archimedes!

#38 Edited by maxB (322 posts) -

Spy: Kill me

Medic: Soon

Laughed so hard at that

just the pyro now

#39 Posted by Kohe321 (3531 posts) -

BRILLIANT

#40 Posted by HatKing (6057 posts) -

That was the best video I've seen from them yet.  

#41 Posted by Nomin (983 posts) -

I don't know, I like the updates very much, but more updates might mean more burden on my aging PC, TF2 isn't as smooth an experience for me anymore.
#42 Posted by bobtastic715 (72 posts) -

Medic-o's: Part of every balance team.

#43 Posted by Aarny91 (3914 posts) -

TF2 free? I've had it since 2008, so I can't wait to have fun with new players :P

#44 Edited by Pop (2647 posts) -

Man valve can make some amazing videos, what if the valve and blizzard cinematic guys made a movie? mindblowing! 

edit: also we only got meet the pyro to go, that should be cool :D.

#45 Posted by Scotto (1215 posts) -

@Deusx said:

@buckybit said:

You are right, but don't you dare compare Quake online and Battlefield online to TF2... I mean, TF2 is one of the most loved multiplayer games ever. It's the bread and butter of pc gaming enthusiasts for multiplayer and it has been for over 5 years so yeah... This F2P thing will be a huge deal. I've played this game more than any other game in my life and this move is scary but one that I have good faith on so I welcome all the new members. See you on the control point.

I'm glad Valve decided to make the game free, but I think what Buckybit says is partly on the nose. The game has reached market saturation, and with the in-game item store they've implemented, the groundwork is clearly there for a new "freemium" economic model.

So this decision will give the game's install base another shot in the arm, after which they can try and soft-sell those new players on $2 weapons and hats.

It's smart business, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not exactly a massive announcement.

- Scott

#46 Posted by Yummylee (22272 posts) -

If Travis Touchdown was a German Medic.

#47 Posted by Hef (1151 posts) -

You know, that one was well worth the wait. And correct me if I'm wrong but that medic gun looked different than the normal one. And when he uber'd the heavy, it was only the heavy who went red. New gun perhaps?

#48 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

Valve never cease to amaze me. My God, that is one amazingly well done video. Genius!

#49 Posted by Greenshoes (287 posts) -

These are always hillarious!

#50 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

Old news.... I got this game free with portal 1 years ago....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.