Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

TF2 Pyro Guide, discussion thread

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By AURON570

I have just finished writing a long guide for pyro, you can find it here. In the guide I explain what I think to be the best set-up for pyro and how to play it effectively both on offense and defense and give tips on how to approach different situations. 

I'm creating this thread here, as a way of allowing people to ask more questions about how to play pyro, or want some help thinking about different scenarios. I hope people who want to play pyro or step up their game, find my guide useful! 

If you want you can add me on Steam, here.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

I disagree with your secondary weapon choice.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By bacongames

It seems to me like this is a the light with flame thrower, slice with axtinquisher spec. There's the one I use which is backburner, flaregun, and homewrecker, making the Pyro focus completely on movement meta-game to break the line of defense and get behind enemy lines to do that crit damage from behind with that flamethrower. The flaregun also allows me to have rather decent long-range damage as I exit spawn. And I use the homewrecker because melee is the not the main focus of this spec but it's nice to help friendly engi's out.

littlereaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By littlereaper

You shouldn't dismiss the Back Scratcher it's a good melee weapon. Also this is not bad when you use it

"As an interesting bonus, the rate at which a Medic's ÜberCharge is filled is not slowed, allowing heavily-injured Pyros to greatly build up an ÜberCharge"

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By benjaebe

W+M1. If you're comfortable doing that and are feeling really advanced, you can W+M2 if someone is shooting rockets at you.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#6  Edited By D_W

@AURON570 said:

I have just finished writing a long guide for pyro, you can find it here. In the guide I explain what I think to be the best set-up for pyro and how to play it effectively both on offense and defense and give tips on how to approach different situations.

I'm creating this thread here, as a way of allowing people to ask more questions about how to play pyro, or want some help thinking about different scenarios. I hope people who want to play pyro or step up their game, find my guide useful!

If you want you can add me on Steam, here.

Hrmm your guide is for playing a very offensive Pyro. I'm going to post some comments on the guide for playing a more defensive/supportive roll once I finish reading through all of it. Seems like a pretty decent guide so far!

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DeeGee

@ajamafalous said:

This.

Flare Gun is almost never, ever more useful then the shotgun.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ajamafalous
    @DeeGee said:

@ajamafalous said:

This.

Flare Gun is almost never, ever more useful then the shotgun.

This. 

75% of my kills as Pyro are with shotgun. 

The other 25% are Axtinguisher. 

(And Degreaser obviously, because the weapon switch is fucking game-breaking)
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Mcfart
    @benjaebe said:

W+M1. If you're comfortable doing that and are feeling really advanced, you can W+M2 if someone is shooting rockets at you.

W+M2 is only reserved for the best of the best.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By valrog
    @DeeGee: @ajamafalous: Orange map.
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rattle618

I read your guide and found it enlightening. 

Seriously now, Im going to try some of the stuff you described cause I really suck at pyro, I dont have the axetinguisher yet though...

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By D_W

@Rattle618:

If you're just starting out then the most important thing is too really learn the maps, and how and where to ambush. How to airblast. That sort of stuff. You don't need the axetinguisher to play a good pyro. I don't use it and I'm consistently near the top of the score board on the servers I play on. (Though score means very little and it's very easy to gain points as a pyro). Play more defensively by protecting Engies when you're on defense and play more of an sneak and ambush game when you're on offense. You'll unlock it eventually.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Roomrunner

Pyro is the perfect beginner's class.  I struggled with this game for a couple days, and once I started racking up kills as a pyro, it gave me the confidence to explore and experiment more.  The biggest tip to offer is that the flamethrower's range is much shorter than it seems.  Don't rush up on a guy if he already sees you.

I'm gonna be the odd man out as a big fan of the flare gun. 
    Though, I'll admit, I play this game only for fun.  I don't care about winning.  Hitting someone with it is very satisfying.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rattle618
    @IntramanDW: Cool, I´ll keep that in mind.
    D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By D_W

@Roomrunner:

Oh man, Getting kills with the Detonator's explosion is even more stratifying. I love that thing regardless of the ability or lack there of to flare jump.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Roomrunner

woah, what?  I have The Detonator, and I was just calling it a flare gun because I didn't know the name off hand.  So there already are flare guns, and this is a better one?  It has a secondary fire?  I'm gonna go mess with it right now!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Roomrunner said:
    woah, what?  I have The Detonator, and I was just calling it a flare gun because I didn't know the name off hand.  So there already are flare guns, and this is a better one?  It has a secondary fire?  I'm gonna go mess with it right now!
    The Detonator just came out with the Uber Update. When the flare's in the air, you can right click to detonate it.
    AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AURON570
    @littlereaper said:

You shouldn't dismiss the Back Scratcher it's a good melee weapon. Also this is not bad when you use it   "As an interesting bonus, the rate at which a Medic's ÜberCharge is filled is not slowed, allowing heavily-injured Pyros to greatly build up an ÜberCharge"

That is true, it does take longer to heal a pyro using a Back Scratcher, so the medic is getting 2x charge rate. But I have found that as Medic, I want to heal as many people as possible and get them to 100/150% health as fast as possible so they can get back to what they are doing as fast as possible. I'm not a fan of healing just one person and I feel like by using a weapon that takes longer for a medic to heal me is counter-productive in the long run.

@Roomrunner: Just looking at the stats, I'd say the Detonator is an improved Flare Gun.
    Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vodun

@ajamafalous said:

@Roomrunner said:
    woah, what? I have The Detonator, and I was just calling it a flare gun because I didn't know the name off hand. So there already are flare guns, and this is a better one? It has a secondary fire? I'm gonna go mess with it right now!
    The Detonator just came out with the Uber Update. When the flare's in the air, you can right click to detonate it.

What's the downside of the Detonator? (There always is one)

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Vodun said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Roomrunner said:
    woah, what? I have The Detonator, and I was just calling it a flare gun because I didn't know the name off hand. So there already are flare guns, and this is a better one? It has a secondary fire? I'm gonna go mess with it right now!
    The Detonator just came out with the Uber Update. When the flare's in the air, you can right click to detonate it.

What's the downside of the Detonator? (There always is one)

+25% damage to self.

So basically just don't blow it up in your face and you'd be fine.

Though I still can't recommend it or the Flare Gun over the Shotgun.
    D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By D_W

The detonator is a lot of fun. I think in terms of combat the regular flare gun is actually better though. Since it deals full crits to inflamed opponents instead of mini-crits that the detonator deals. The explosion is nice, but it just does regular damage and often only seems to achieve in annoying or confusing opponents (which can be useful at times, but is situational.)

Still though. You can make FIREWORKS!

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AURON570
    @IntramanDW: Ahhh, I missed the part where it only does mini-crit on already burning foes. I guess I'll be sticking with the Flare Gun then.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.