Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

The Kid Who Created Team Fortress 2's Controversial Anti-Free-to-Play Mod

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Nethlem

The game might be free but the servers the game runs on are not.

Sure valve has a couple of official dedicated servers but the huge majority of TF2 servers are run by private people or big communities renting servers. And because they pay for these servers they can decide who they want to let play and who don't.

It's similiar to householder's rights and i'm confused that so many people are suprised about this. This has been a pretty normal thing to do in multiplayer FPS gaming. Heck there are servermods out there that will auto-kick you when you are connecting from the wrong country... You rent a server you can play god on that server, easy as that and more often then not one of the biggest reasons to actually rent a server.

People can do whatever they want with their servers, run low gravity mods or all kinds of other bullshit. But imho they should allways properly tag their server as one with custom rules/maps/mods to prevent people from wasting their time.

Solidsnak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#152  Edited By Solidsnak

Honestly I think their should be some kinda filtering for the free2play players, if only to keep them from getting killed repeatedly and quitting.  I bought the game originally as part of the orange box and played a bit, then took some time off it for a while.  When I tired to play it again later, with all the new stuff including many one hit kill weapons, I died instantly and figured I should just give up on it since I didn't feel like grinding away to try and catch up.  Spare those free2play kids for a while until they can compete.

mabans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By mabans

Isn't discrimination cute?

mabans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By mabans
    @Lazyaza: How exactly? Because one group of people had to pay and because it was so successful they are able to give to everyone away for free? Imagine the assholes who are against this.. I"m almost certain they tons of times touting the superiority of TF2. Here is  a chance for the community to grow, to convince others of this "superiority" at no risk and people develop bullshit like this? It's elitism, and just plain discrimination. So now I can't play on your server because you bought your game before me? This stuff isn't new. 

I tried to get into DOTA and posted some obvious scrub stuff and was eviscerated for it. Calling me all kinds of names, telling me not to even bother because the game is too complex for my simple mind.. 

Soon after that I reignited my love affair with fighting games with SF4, and went to Shoryuken.com, a site I knew of for years, and when I tried to setup matches I was just ridiculed. So bad that even a Mod gave me a warning on my account for asking such "stupid questions". It was so bad that the owner put out word that people caught doing this would be banned, and mods abusing power were being closely looked at.  

No one ever says "Ooh this taste so good, fuck off and buy one if you want to know." We share as humans but with the internet allowing this anonymousness, it lets people be as racist, sexist, elitist, and as prejudice as they want to be because, who really knows Deathcaller1777 is Terry from accounting. The community has exploded and we can see updates for this game for another 5 YEARS EASY!  There is NO justification for banning someone who got the game for free and using the HACKER excuse is just as dumb, according to gamers, as gaming companies putting DRM on PC games. Even that last sentence just a broad brush. 
    BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#155  Edited By BlazeHedgehog

Didn't Valve immediately say they had a system in place to make sure cheating wouldn't be a problem?

lawlerballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By lawlerballer

thumbs up for this

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#157  Edited By sixghost

@BlazeHedgehog said:

Didn't Valve immediately say they had a system in place to make sure cheating wouldn't be a problem?

Well surely they couldn't possible be promising something they can't deliver.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#158  Edited By DJJoeJoe
    @mabans: I agree, though I feel bad when all it makes me feel is that 'those' people should be murdered... without lame people though the world becomes a very lonely place, and if we're talking pie in the sky requests here then I'd rather ask that everyone in the world be shown everyone else's shoes when they meet them, so they understand EXACTLY where that person is coming from, because there's always a reason for anyone's actions. Even when it's a poor excuse it's still comforting to know why someone came out of no where and started killing you at your spawn for hours forcing you to cut your gaming night short or switch games.
    Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Neverpraying

I don't like playing with free to play people really to be honest.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#160  Edited By Dookysharpgun
    @Crushed: I like how you actually didn't read anything I wrote, because I never said every TF2 player hates games, but then again, I'm not surprised, you didn't even try to get my attention via the 'reply' or 'quote' functions. And you went straight to joining in with individuals who never attempt to make relevant points of their own. My point is this, just in case you missed it: It doesn't matter if every other server for TF2 loves the F2P community. That isn't the fucking issue here. What is the issue, is that this kind of action, taken by so few, can have repercussions, especially if it is over something as stupid as a server that trades in-game items for money...now if anyone may agree with this, just take a look at that article one more time, and see how silly that is. People are actually putting time and effort into making mods for servers, so that new people can't play...if these people are so conservative, they could at least use the facilities that are in the game already. It is unethical, and these guys are shining a bad light on TF2 players, and gamers in general.

Also, lets put forward a little scenario. Johnny Douchebag just got TF2 on F2P and bought something else that gave him a premium account, while Kyle Mcsoundguy just got a F2P copy of TF2. By the logic of these backwards ass servers, Johnny Douchebag, who knows nothing about the game, is welcome, while Kyle Mcsoundguy isn't allowed in on them, because he didn't spend, at minimum, a fiver. So for all the huffing and puffing, for all the controversy this brewed, this mod didn't save the server any more trouble than it would have otherwise. So really, was all this hassle necessary, over a few in-game hats, and the fact that a bunch of pricks don't like new people in their community? Isn't that the reason they put passwords on the servers? Really, if you're not going to contribute to the topic at hand, and maybe give a halfway valid opinion, then please, don't step up to the plate and ridicule someone for making points, then defending them. 

And I don't see these peace and love TF2 players commenting on this, just the people who say "well, there are thousands of other servers for TF2, its not an issue".  That isn't contributing at all. This thread isn't about that issue. If these embracing individuals want to make themselves heard, they could just condemn these guys openly, instead of saying its a "non-issue". 

I'd also like to point out, people really need to learn the difference between overreacting, and having a strong opinion. They are two separate entities. There is never an excuse for trying to avoid an issue, like there is no excuse for these players to put in such a bigoted ideal behind a fucking videogame. That, is the issue I am talking about.
    BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#161  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    @sixghost said:

@BlazeHedgehog said:

Well surely they couldn't possible be promising something they can't deliver.

Earlier precedents being...?
    Palaeomerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#162  Edited By Palaeomerus

I'd like a 'no-pay' filter that kicks anyone who bought a trinket from the store. I'm fairly tired of the hordes of doof-hat wearing imbeciles who want to trade and flaunt their crap instead of play the damned game. It ain't supposed to be like second life. 

Also, I actually paid money for the game as part of the Orange box, so calling me 'free to play' because I avoid the store smacks of arrogant STUPIDITY. 

Still there's nothing a gaming community likes better than an opportunity to tear itself apart in a vain attempt to create  nice pigeon holes for everybody. They need an exclusive elite branch to reward, a common riff raff branch to ignore, and a disliked pariah branch to punish or they just can't be happy. 

It's stupid and sad.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Dookysharpgun
    @mabans said:
    Isn't discrimination cute?
    It's like a puppy...a really savage puppy, that will try to kill you when your back is turned, or while you sleep, even if you treat it like a king.

I also agree with your following post, people tend to get on moral high-horses on the internet, just thinking that because they can, they can. Really, its quite sad that such a nice gesture by Valve has been met with such venom by individuals who just can't understand what a videogame is anymore. People just seem to think they're superman when they run a server, or are good at a game. There's nothing wrong with having a positive attitude towards your skills, but if a person isn't good at a game, the good gamers will always attempt to help them. I've known a few players that have helped me when I played SSFIV, just starting out, and being awful at it. A few tricks later, and I could hold my own for a bit at least. There isn't any excuse for treating people this way, least of all after the community has expanded in such a manner, like you said, that can extend the game's life. It saddens me, and makes me ashamed to be a gamer, when I hear news like this.
    crushed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By crushed

@Dookysharpgun said:

@Crushed: I like how you actually didn't read anything I wrote, because I never said every TF2 player hates games, but then again, I'm not surprised, you didn't even try to get my attention via the 'reply' or 'quote' functions. And you went straight to joining in with individuals who never attempt to make relevant points of their own. My point is this, just in case you missed it: It doesn't matter if every other server for TF2 loves the F2P community. That isn't the fucking issue here. What is the issue, is that this kind of action, taken by so few, can have repercussions, especially if it is over something as stupid as a server that trades in-game items for money...now if anyone may agree with this, just take a look at that article one more time, and see how silly that is. People are actually putting time and effort into making mods for servers, so that new people can't play...if these people are so conservative, they could at least use the facilities that are in the game already. It is unethical, and these guys are shining a bad light on TF2 players, and gamers in general. Also, lets put forward a little scenario. Johnny Douchebag just got TF2 on F2P and bought something else that gave him a premium account, while Kyle Mcsoundguy just got a F2P copy of TF2. By the logic of these backwards ass servers, Johnny Douchebag, who knows nothing about the game, is welcome, while Kyle Mcsoundguy isn't allowed in on them, because he didn't spend, at minimum, a fiver. So for all the huffing and puffing, for all the controversy this brewed, this mod didn't save the server any more trouble than it would have otherwise. So really, was all this hassle necessary, over a few in-game hats, and the fact that a bunch of pricks don't like new people in their community? Isn't that the reason they put passwords on the servers? Really, if you're not going to contribute to the topic at hand, and maybe give a halfway valid opinion, then please, don't step up to the plate and ridicule someone for making points, then defending them. And I don't see these peace and love TF2 players commenting on this, just the people who say "well, there are thousands of other servers for TF2, its not an issue". That isn't contributing at all. This thread isn't about that issue. If these embracing individuals want to make themselves heard, they could just condemn these guys openly, instead of saying its a "non-issue". I'd also like to point out, people really need to learn the difference between overreacting, and having a strong opinion. They are two separate entities. There is never an excuse for trying to avoid an issue, like there is no excuse for these players to put in such a bigoted ideal behind a fucking videogame. That, is the issue I am talking about.

Holy shit dude, nobody is using this mod and the TF2 community is embracing F2P. The entirety of this issue is games sites bringing it up like it's a huge thing. It's not even a huge controversy in the TF2 community. This is nothing. There will be no repercussions for this. Also it really wouldn't take much time or effort to make a plugin like this, it's pretty easy stuff that probably took the guy a couple minutes.

Also trading servers aren't "trading items for money," it's a way for people to get items they want by getting rid of ones they don't, while not wasting time during a game by stopping to trade. They have a function, and you're acting like the community has now ruined itself forever because now a free-to-play user won't be able to join them or passworded clan servers.

This isn't the goddamned Civil Rights Movement, you are overreacting. Seriously, I think you might have mental issues with how upset you're getting over something that will affect maybe a handful of people ever in a free video game.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#165  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Joru said:
    As for the mod, it doesn't really matter - new players definitely don't want to be playing with the kind of people who would use this stuff for their server.
    Definitely this.

To be honest, this shouldn't even be a news story. There's nothing controversial here, and this is no different than the server plugin that changed the model of the Cheater's Lament years ago.
    Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Dookysharpgun
    @Crushed: Holy shitcrackers...you actually did it again. Its amazing! You missed my point...again....I...wow....again, I joked about how this is being portrayed, by the very guys who support  it, as some sort of civil rights situation. FFS at least read the article. I never even hinted at the community ruining itself. Christ, learn to read and understand basic points man! It isn't that hard!  

But dya know what? It isn't going to matter. You want to glance over the article's points, which are the ones I'm debating here, then grand, that's your business, but please, please don't try to paint me as someone who is overreacting. I see this as something disgusting, something that should never have taken place or even been mentioned, but it has been. People are talking about it, people are equally as disgusted by such an issue. Are they all rife with mental issues too?

What I am doing is called arguing the point. It's what adults do when they debate. This is why I come to forums, sometimes for the craic, other times, just because. If anyone is making a bigger issue out of what I'm saying, it is, in fact, you. Nothing I have said thus far has insinuated that this situation is to be taken seriously, the silliness factor it presents actually speaks for itself. The people who lack the ability to come up with valid points surrounding this topic deserve to be verbally beaten down. 

Again, down here, in bold: this forum is about the news-related post we were all reading. The opinions formed here about it are valid, because they are based around this topic. You want to enlighten the world about the TF2 community? Then make a thread about it, otherwise, I can say whatever I please, in whatever manner I wish, because it is my opinion, which I formed, stated and am now backing up. This is what people do when they have...well spines, and beliefs. Sorry you feel like I'm the one who is overreacting, but if anything, you really are making a bigger deal out of what is basically me, in a persona, making fun of a silly situation that people openly defend. Why don't you go ahead and talk to the people who like the idea? Or the holier than thou types who started this crap? Why not tell them that this is pointless and not a big deal? 

Seriously dude, relax, I have a sense of humour, so don't go getting all concerned for my mental health, it's sweet and all, if not a little creepy, I'm perfectly fine, but in future, you might want to take whatever reaction you take away from reading a post with a grain of salt. I'm taking this from a logical point-of-view, about how silly this whole situation is, that it was even an issue that came up in the first place. Stop trying so hard to defend the game, and the generally good community it has, they didn't do anything wrong, and everyone knows that. You on the other hand, seem to be jumping in pretty hard to defend people that aren't being attacked...which is also really, really funny :D I'm more for advancing our medium, and keeping silly people away from headlines, but they make it there, and we might, might have to deal with backlash. If it happens, it happens, and I called it and am awesome, if not, well then the world is a nice, happy place, where people can live in harmony, until something else that is more shitty than this happens...and again, I called it!
    benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By benjo_t

The people sending death threats to this poor guy need to take a look at their life, and their choices.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By defaultprophet

The kid? Really that's...not a very professional way to describe somebody.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#169  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @Dookysharpgun
    @Ygg: Oh please, don't stop now, I love the way you think you're correct and blindly follow a dogma of saying everyone is wrong, then not debating with them because they can out-argue your sorry ass. People like you never look at the big picture, and without that type of insight, nothing ever gets done. And actually, my first post was had nothing to do with 'what ifs' so your statement is totally invalid. 

Just a great job outlining online gaming for me there. Obviously, your wit knows no limits. Such a clever response. I am now more enlightened than I have ever been. Seeing as you're not very good at this, I'll just tell you that all that was sarcasm. See, other people can patronize too. Great how you deal with the topic at hand...just saying: "you're wrong...because I said so!" in more words.

Also, the 'sweeping statements'? Welcome to academia, where everything and anything is, at best, a broad stroke. Try as you might, you haven't added anything to this debate. You've simply stated useless information that you think is purely correct, and you just can't argue with it. People can have opinions, they're allowed, but when you don't bother backing your own with anything bar 'I'm done here', you've got nothing. So I will continue, but thank you for the waste of time that was this debate, I needed an easy writing exercise today :D

Next please :D
    Wow you're trying amazingly hard to come across as intelligent and well-reasoned, and failing utterly...so good job there, I guess. Maybe be a little less childish and stand-offish if you're going to take the holier-than-thou route to Internet fighting? Just a friendly suggestion.

I've been playing since the beginning, and I (like the absolute vast majority of TF2 players I have seen) welcome the Influx of new players free to play has brought in, and not just due to my 10:1 KDRs as a Spy. I personally have gone out of my way to instruct players (including writing a Spy Guide) and giving unlocks out whenever I get drops.

I think this mod being used to discriminate is fairly disgusting (barring the trading server example, which makes sense), but server owners have every right to do what they want with their own servers; at least, until Valve sets a rule regarding this.

The amount of servers this will impact will be minimal, because the vast amount of server owners just want someone - anyone - to play there and justify their outlay of cash, which is generally only done in the first place because they love the game and want to foster a community that shares that.

This is pretty much a giant non-issue in the grand scheme of things, and there are far worse things in gaming to be stressing about than this so-called elitism.

Good article, Patrick, keep it up.
    Monte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Monte

The people who started playing Team Fortress when it went free to play are just a bunch of little kids and teenagers who have no access to a credit card and can't buy stuff on line.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By zaglis
    @Styl3s:  
    Hats, store, farming and new weapons are completely optional. Do you UNDERSTAND that? How can TF2 suddenly turn into garbage if its essentially the same game if you ignore the things you just listed.

Seems to me like you are living in some sort of weird denial. You don't hate new content, but you do.  
    vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By vinsanityv22

Feh. F2P players usually aren't in it for the long haul anyway. They're there to check things out, play a few games...and then they'll leave. They'll probably only be back in "spurts", to see what's changed every couple of months. You TF2 players are making too big a sh** out of this. Just ask most Quake Live or Battlefield Heroes players.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By turbomonkey138

This guy is a complete idiot. TF2 going F2P is the best thing that could happen to TF2 in a long time.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By AURON570

There are perfectly good servers, frequented by perfectly nice people that don't run the Free2BeKicked Mod.... This includes the Giantbomb/Tested TF2 server. 

Yeah sure it can be frustrating losing because you have a few newbies on your team, but that's just going to happen when you play in public servers with random people. It's just going to happen more frequently because it's now F2P.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#175  Edited By Yanngc33

these articles are awesome!

I bought some hats since I got the game for free. Need to support the community

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#176  Edited By xpgamer7

Interesting to hear his side, but I doubt it'll be widely used in the first place.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By DG991

I don't care that it is free, that is just cool. I hate that there is a store in it that u can buy weapons from. Been saying it since they put the store on the main page when u start the game.

kagekage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By kagekage
    @monte said:
    The people who started playing Team Fortress when it went free to play are just a bunch of little kids and teenagers who have no access to a credit card and can't buy stuff on line.
    Wow, stereotyping much? That's honestly a pathetic and downright stupid generalization. 
    You're probably a big fan of the game, why not support your opinion with a comment that has a hint of intelligence?  
    I'm with supporting this mod, I just hate stupid and bigoted comments like these, makes the whole cause seem stupid.
    JakeLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By JakeLogan

All of you can just have fun eating it.  I want no part in buffet brimming with BS.
    Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Dookysharpgun
    @Tim_the_Corsair: ....wow....this is really a case of the pot calling the kettle black isn't it? Taking a tone of a pseudo-intellectual who chastises others for coming off as 'standoffish' and 'childish', and you pull a quote clean out of context of the entire topic, and to top it all off, come off as defensive towards someone I'll assume you don't know, who let's just forget for one second was a total dick to multiple people, who really did have a 'holier than thou' attitude, believing that everyone was wrong in their opinions...which are opinions, but never forming any of his own. Now if you were to look at that in context, you'd see that calling me out on such things, actually seems a bit contradictory, given the situation I was debating in. But then again, that would require actually reading the entire thing. So I'm so very sorry that i didn't give you a manuscript of events that transpired here before you came along, I'll get right on that.

This is all very sad, because if you had continued to read my posts, you would have seen that I was, in fact, working a persona, which I usually do, to see people's reactions to certain views, radical or not, baiting that chap into submission, as he was actually high and mighty, and coming off as more of an impudent child than I've ever seen on forums before. I also began a discussion with a fella who was taking me far too seriously, when I was only joking. Not his fault, I'm just that good at what I do. I mean, people can post opinions yes? So why the hate towards people who form opinions? You have yours, and for the most part, I agree with you, although I think this kind of situation warrants closer observation of copies of games. It may be a far stretch, but a situation like this has never really come up. Strange times and all that jazz. How far are we willing to let people go with this type of business? And where exactly is the line? The ramifications for this may lead to better server management for all, but until then, this type of crap will happen, and I do think that this behavior should warrant a shunning from the community. It only seems fair. 

And your final point goes back to my first post. Do we really need this type of shit coming up at all? However it is elitism, pure and simple, by a group of individuals who are getting media coverage. Now despite your knowledge of TF2 and all it entails, when has the media ever given a rats ass about anything other than the story where a small group of individuals have caused trouble? As I mentioned, gaming has hit a stagnation, and overall we're looking at a desert wasteland in terms of games, new IPs and original thought. But people who pervert a rather lovely situation, whereby a developer makes a game free to play, given that nintendo are killing the Wii in the american market, and barely supporting it europe wise, and microsoft pushing for kinect in every game possible to recoup losses, along with a rather weak exclusive line, this is a nice thing for a company to do, to show it cares for its gamers. Whether you like it or not though, people know about this now, and they are pissed. This sullies what should have been a wondrous landmark in gaming, as a few bad eggs simply couldn't take a hit to their perfect world view. Surely, you can't deny that even with everything you know, looking from the outside perspective, this seems pretty damn bad. This will only add to the harsh views people have of PC gaming, and alienate those who were already a little skittish about entering the fray. I still have to say though, that when it all comes down to it, this entire situation, as I've said before, is silly. TF2 is a videogame. It's 4 years old and won't be getting any younger. I was never a fan, but I can see the appeal. But as far as this goes, all I can say is that this is a sad, sad situation, something that never should have come up. Despite how small it may be in scale, it still happened, there can be no denying that. That is why people are up-in-arms about this. The venom the F2P situation was met with was localized, but it was still a pretty nasty scenario. There are different perspectives for this, an for the average joe, this is just wrong. I will say though, that server mods have been known to abuse power, rules and the like, and that maybe we need to consolidate servers within the companies providing the experience. It isn't ideal, but until we can stomp out the last of this entitlement issues and power fantasy bullshit, it might be necessary. 

See, you actually have opinions, so I addressed them, in what can only be described as a nice manner, given the circumstances. Aren't I just that nice? Still, I will say that I did have a few more posts before and after that one, I'd advise you to look at them and see just how similar some of our opinions are. But again, don't forget, you know things about TF2, and that is grand, but to people who aren't familiar with PC gaming, they view this as more than a little dickish on a small group of individuals part. They don't know just what that means, so be gentle, they don't deserve a reply of pure bile. That is the type of person I am defending, and the type of person I'm trying to relate to others through my posts.
    Avatar image for goulash_enjoyer
    goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

There are servers solely dedicated to trading items? That's some shit right there. The hats are becoming more important than playing the game itself.

crushed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By crushed

@Bummey said:

There are servers solely dedicated to trading items? That's some shit right there. The hats are becoming more important than playing the game itself.

Items are more than hats. And no, the hats are really not more important than playing the game, despite what people say.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By MrKlorox

Fuck those guys in their rectums. Such people are why I don't play TF2.

crushed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By crushed

@MrKlorox said:

Fuck those guys in their rectums. Such people are why I don't play TF2.

They literally make up less than half of one percent of TF2.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @Dookysharpgun Nothing remotely "pseudo-intellectual" about my post. This is how I speak, whether it is in person or online, and I am generally polite even in situations where perhaps I shouldn't be. Furthermore, I read every comment in the thread upto the point where I posted, and have since caught up on everything posted since. I quoted that particular post as the one that highlighted what I was saying: your post was childish, as were your earlier and subsequent posts.

You are correct that I don't know Ygg - indeed, I don't know whether I've even posted in the same thread as him/her before. That is immaterial to the fact that absolutely nothing he said was out of line or even really contentious, even if we might have differed on a few points. You, however, were so forceful and willfully antagonistic in your rambling diatribes that it caught my notice.

Whether you and I share multiple beliefs on this topic or could even grow to be BFFs is completely immaterial to the matter at hand. You are freely admitting that you are playing a persona to get a rise out of people while simultaneously overreacting - and yes, you are overreacting enough that you are coming off as a raving lunatic - almost comically to well thought out, decent posts on a topic that is essentially a non-issue.

There is a name for people who play personas on the Internet while manipulating people into getting angry: Troll.

Now while I feel that word is tossed around too freely whenever someone has a differing point of view, the fact is that by playing a character for the purpose of causing anger, anything you have to say on this matter is rendered null and void.

Your method is not how intelligent adults argue a point; it's how ignorant ones do it.
    aidros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By aidros

Good lord, its Heroes of Newerth all over again

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By briangodsoe

As stupid as it is to discriminate against the "freeloaders" I agree with allowing and ignoring the mod. It's a big sign that people can hang on their server saying "Douchebag alert" so you won't have to deal with as much discrimination and asshattery if you are F2P.  

The F2P thing is a positive thing as most smart players realize. It breathes new life into TF2. One of my all time favorite FPS' was F2P. I put so many goddamn hours in Wolfenstien Enemy Territiory.

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Gregomasta

I'm all for new players, playing for free.  I also think its fine for private servers to run whatever mods they want.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#189  Edited By yukoasho
    @zaglis said:
    @Styl3s:   Hats, store, farming and new weapons are completely optional. Do you UNDERSTAND that? How can TF2 suddenly turn into garbage if its essentially the same game if you ignore the things you just listed. Seems to me like you are living in some sort of weird denial. You don't hate new content, but you do.  
    This, pretty much.  As long as Valve doesn't turn TF2 into a pay-to-win thing and approaches it like Id/Bethesda with Quake Live, I don't get how this would effect even a single person.
    kerikxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#190  Edited By kerikxi

I'm not upset at TF2 going F2P but I was worried about the burden on server operators. This plugin is a necessary evil.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By thebunnyhunter
    @Gregomasta said:
    I'm all for new players, playing for free.  I also think its fine for private servers to run whatever mods they want.
    its rather fun playing with and helping the new players, it kind of brings fresh air into the game.  but im glad that some servers have this mod so when you want to play with more experience players
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#192  Edited By musubi
    @kagekage said:
    @monte said:
    Wow, stereotyping much? That's honestly a pathetic and downright stupid generalization. You're probably a big fan of the game, why not support your opinion with a comment that has a hint of intelligence?  I'm with supporting this mod, I just hate stupid and bigoted comments like these, makes the whole cause seem stupid.
    Yeah, I agree.    I mean possibly they didn't wanna sink  $20 into what  from its internet cred is a pretty hardcore shooter.   I see people all over still scared to play even with F2P just because they are nervous about being ostracized  by their peers for sucking or being a noob.   I'm not honestly opposed to this mod because as others have stated with the F2P model stopping cheaters could  become a issue if  Valve doesn't keep its eyes on  the ball here as there are no repercussions for cheating with a F2P model.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61abb009b221e
    deactivated-61abb009b221e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Baker really does have a point. If not for just the basic conception of banning free players, I can only imagine others who would want to take it a lot further than that.

But it's sad to see a community to be so exclusive. I would be disappointed for any game to have a community like League of Legends.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By dagas

Guess I'm a premium player since I got the game with the Orange Box years ago, not that I plan to play it anyway. I just wanted Episode 2 and Portal out of that box.

FacestabMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By FacestabMan

In my honest opinion, TF2 going free to play is something pretty good. I've been playing since January 2008, and I had a lot of fun with the game itself. I do not wish though, to have beggars, cheaters or farmers. This wasn't meant to be a MMO and it should never be. I don't think the idea of putting a plug-in that bans free players should be bad, as long as is not widely expanded. Before they came out with the Mann Co. store, a friend of mine did a Hat plug-in that allowed everyone to wear whatever they pleased from the selection of official hats, or even custom ones by the community. However, Valve was quick to tell him to stop putting "official" hats in there. Because they wanted to sell them afterwards. So if this guy puts out this plug-in and it has success, more power to him.

People have the choice to join many, many servers today. You have from the most vanilla experience you could ever have through server plug-ins, to trading servers and even silly game modes like Saxton Hale mod. Valve should, however, release a pack of items for F2Pers, and sort of call it "upgrade to premium" instead of expecting everyone to acknowledge the fact that people know they can just use 5 bucks on the steam wallet and upgrade their accounts to non-Free to play. Because there's still a lot of people that think you cannot buy TF2 anymore and therefore, you're forced to be a F2Per.

More players, more fun, but the thing gets more saturated, has more scammers, more cheaters and overall creates a different ambient. At the point that people have to make plug-ins like this one just to avoid having their servers full 24/7 and the veterans going in like "hey, do I have to donate now to get a reserved slot because I can never join in anymore since 80 people were added to this community in a matter of days?". Not to mention most of us veterans didn't even have a training mode before, but now that F2Pers have it, they don't use it and instead ask how to do things all the time, or just think this is Counter-Strike: Source or some sort of deathmatch game where the only thing that matters is to have a high K/D ratio.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#196  Edited By l4wd0g

And they wonder why there will never be world peace.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By BombKareshi

As someone who has been playing Team Fortress 2 for years, I am very happy with Valve's decision to make the game free to play.

New, fresh meat coming in is the best thing that has happened to the game in a long, long time. Especially as dedicated servers have been running dry here in my home country. It's an absolute pleasure to help new people get into the game, and on the flip side, to be able to frag someone other than the same bunch of oaks I've been playing with for ages.

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#198  Edited By loopy_101

I still think us former TF2 buyers should of got more besides a hat to prove our support for Valve and the Orange Box. I've been on Steam for six years now and I've got not much of a loyalty discount or anything despite that.

otzlowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By otzlowe

I love the pretentious assholes who just act like the F2P has caused a noticeable decline in the skill and quality of the game. There have always been bad players of TF2 and there have always been many of them.

Some people just want to be special.

TheZodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By TheZodiac

Asher Baker sounds like someone who will die a virgin lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.