Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

They cracked

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Feanor

Well you can now get items with achievements again, but you can also find them the old way as well. 

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

Just read this on Shacknews (link for those interested) and I'm still a little baffled as to why they didn't choose this method to begin with instead of making the abrupt switch from achievement milestones to random loot and then reverting it to a balance between both systems.

As Shacknews reports the actual number of achievements required for the Sniper & Spy milestones is pretty low compared to what it was for the other classes. Can't help but feel this may have been intentional to sooth the pain of angry players.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Radar

Good. Should have been both systems in place in the first place. 

Log

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Log

I dont agree with this at all, its annoying to see them do this. The new system basically stopped people from being achievement whoring assholes. Granted it wasnt perfect and they should have implemented some kind of diminished chance to get items you already had, but theyre basically rewarding people for being cheaters this way.

Fei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fei

WHAT YOU SAY ??

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By thordain

Finally, at least Valve isn't trying to drive everyone off.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By PureRok
    @Log: Achievement whores don't affect you at all. Why let them bother you? If they want to grind for the weapons (that should be available from the get-go to begin with) that's their prerogative and it doesn't affect you in any way. Also, achievement grinding is cheating. If it were, most people on XBL would probably be in big trouble for grinding out achievements.
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Feanor

I really do not understand the point of having both systems going at the same time.  So many people will be getting items so quickly, that you might as well give them out to everyone right away at the launch of an update.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187
    @PureRok: The achievements on XBL don't unlock anything for us other than a larger e-peen.  When entire servers are dedicated to the sole purpose of achievement whoring for your weapons, it basically turns into the same problem that you get with Battlefield 2:  servers set up just to grind points quickly in order to have better weapons than everyone else, thereby making the game uneven in normal servers.

It's whatever, though, because nothing is going to stop it.  Games will always end up being uneven, and it's solely because some people have more time on their hands than others.

It's one of the main reasons I stopped playing so many games online and never could get into Team Fortress 2.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Ineedaname

I was playing and some guy logged in, and it just said achieved a tonne of milestones, and "***** has found *****" about 7 times. Was pretty epic.

10MP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 10MP

I think valve needs to stop trying to adding these gimmicks for unlocking items and just give them with the updates.

SolarboyGil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By SolarboyGil

don't know why they removed it.....

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By mracoon

They should have done both from the start.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I think it's more like they were testing the new system and seeing just how long it might take to unlock new items.

I really like that both systems are in place, it means that I'm rewarded for playing certain classes but if I can't do enough achievements to get the level 3 Medic weapon I'll eventually get the level 3 unlock.

Also Engineer hat is awesome

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.