Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

Tips for playing a pyro

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Brians

I'm new to the game, wondering if veterans have any tips for playing as a pyro.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ch3burashka

Much like any class, easy to play, hard to master. 

One of the main things to remember is your strengths and weaknesses. Keep in mind, you're a fucking pyro - you burn shit for a living. However, unless you're sneaky as fuck, chances are you won't be able to hold your own against Soldiers, Demomen and Heavies. The stock flamethrower can deflect rockets and grenades, but that's usually a secondary, last-resort tactic because it eats up your ammo like a motherfucker. 

Another thing to remember: spies are fucking everywhere. It kills me to see my fellow Pyros running down narrow, cranny-filled hallways with their flamethrowers forgotten and unused. It takes a spy minutes upon minutes of planning to take you down, whilst one brief stream of fire will reveal his position. For instance, the underground passage in 2fort: there's plenty of places for an asshole spy to hide: under the staircase, all around the "defense room", and the tunnel is wide enough for them to sneak by on one side while you run down the middle. There's an ammo box with 100 ammo in the "defense room" - don't be stingy! A quick blast around the crannies mentioned will take up 20-30 ammo tops, and it could save your life. 

As for general tactics, as mentioned by me and the actual select screen, Pyro is a support class (at least, that's what I think the select screen says). The point is, unlike the Soldier et al, you're best bet is to go into battle with plenty of others, hide behind them for protection, and then bust the fuck out to decimate the opponent's ranks. The dragon-flamethrower (forgot what it's called) is especially useful in close quarters if you choose the age-old "circle strafe" technique - they will have a hard time getting you, and you'll be getting some crits in there. 

Speaking of decimation, if you are on a team that actually communicates, you're the best bet for clearing out a room of sentries and whatnot with an ubered-up Medic (remember: communication is key here). Also, remember your flamethrower and its ability to deflect rockets? It works on people too! If an uber team has broken into your base, your flames and your bullets will all be for naught. Instead, you can just blow away the fuckers!  

That's it for me. I haven't played in a while, and I'll be interested what other people have to say.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Brians
    @CH3BURASHKA:  thanks for the advice.
    stafax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By stafax
    CH3BURASHKA gave some good tips.  

Also I suggest using your unlocked items only under different situations and with different strategies.  This is pretty much a general rule for EVERY class in TF2. I dunno which items you have unlocked, but most of the Pyro's unlocked weapons are very useful but very hard to use. 

The Backburner (the dragon flame thrower mentioned by the previous poster) is a very strong flame thrower, especially when you sneak up from behind, but it's not very useful in many situations due to the lack of air blast (which is performed by right click by the other two flame throwers). 

As mentioned already, air blasting can push away grenades, sticky bombs, rockets, and you can even push enemies off a cliff.  If your fellow team mates are on fire, use air blast to put the fire out, your team mates would appreciate that whenever you do so.  One VERY usefull thing about airblast is when the enemy comes in with an uber charge.  If you see an Uber Medic/Heavy or Uber Medic/Demoman or whatever they come in as, the best way to prevent them from doing too much damage is to air blast them away.  You can either air blast both of them and keep them juggled up in the air until the uber wears off, or air blast them off the edge of a cliff, or try to air blast just the Medic away from his team mate so that he's out of range to give his teammate an Uber charge. 

Don't forget about your shot gun. When enemies are out of range from your flame and are running away from you, you might just want to switch to your shotgun since it's a very good medium range weapon.  The flaregun is a good weapon for long range, but it's hard to use due to it needing to reload after each shot.  Flaregun can be usefull during either payload maps or control point maps, shoot while a bunch of enemies are grouped together, and if you hit them again with it while they are on fire, you get a crit. 

All the melee weapons are really great, and they all pretty much make the default ax pointless.  The homewrecker does half damage on people but can do tons of damage on enemy buildings, but it's hard to use as an offensive weapon since enemy buildings usually have a sentry near by.  If you want to help an engineer out, equip the homewecker.  Just keep running around his buildings whiling flaming around the place to make sure no spies are near by, and if a spy sapps a building, whip out that homewrecker and it can knock off the sapper with one hit. 

The Axtinguisher is extremely strong when you hit a flamed enemy, but I would only recommend using it with the Degreaser flamethrower since that allows you to switch weapons faster.  If you're not using the Degreaser/Axtinguisher combo, then the Powerjack is a great melee weapon.  It has the strongest normal attack in the game, it doesn't have random crits though.  And if you kill someone with it, you either heal 75 health or you can get overhealed for 75 health. 

So key things to remember: Always spy check, put out your team mates from being on fire, and also remember to back out of fights when you are in danger. It's easy to get carried away and think you can burn just one more guy to death, but playing like that will make you like a kamikaze pilot.
    Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

In before some idiot tells you to just hold W+M1.   

There's a lot more to the Pyro than there was when TF2 was released but just to go against some of the advice of the first guy; learn to love your air blast.  

When hit by an air blast enemies are disorientated by the sudden movement and left vulnerable to follow up attacks either with more flame-thrower or a melee weapon, giving someone a quick puff of flame before air blasting them can cause some real headaches but it's almost always lethal if you follow it up with a quick axetinguisher hit. (Side Hint: Go into the multiplayer section in the options and enable fast-weapon switching, it'll lead to far quicker switches and more kills. 

Also it can be used to separate Medics from their team-mates even while their Uber'd, meaning that their attack can be far less effective and possibly falter due to a couple of Pyro air blasts.  Also combine the air blast with large drops or fast trains for hours of fun (watch for Scouts, they can double jump back to safety). 

But to echo what the guys above said, play to the classes strengths and help your team out, either by air blasting Ubers or moving sticky bombs away from important doors.   

If it all gets too stressful just switch to Heavy and W+M1 :-P

minorinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By minorinya

A Pryo is an Engineer's favorite guard dog. "Dog" in a good way.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Brians

I haven't actually unlocked any stuff for the pyro yet but I think with these tips I will play a better pyro in TF2 so thanks guys

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ch3burashka
    @minorinya said:
    " A Pryo is an Engineer's favorite guard dog. "Dog" in a good way. "
    So... dawg?
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By benpack
    @CH3BURASHKA said:
    " @minorinya said:
    " A Pryo is an Engineer's favorite guard dog. "Dog" in a good way. "
    So... dawg? "
    Dogg.
    n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By n00bosaurusRex
    @IncredibleBulk92 said:
    " In before some idiot tells you to just hold W+M1.  "
    hah! good call
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ch3burashka
    @n00bosaurusRex said:
    " @IncredibleBulk92 said:
    hah! good call "
    Yeah... I don't know what that means. Is that a European thing, equivalent of Alt+F4?
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By frankxiv
    @CH3BURASHKA said:
    " @n00bosaurusRex said:
    hah! good call "
    Yeah... I don't know what that means. Is that a European thing, equivalent of Alt+F4? "
    no he means all you have to do is run around and hold down the "set shit on fire" button
    Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rockanomics

Well there is this sweet Pyro page I slaved away editing, but to be honest it's pretty out of date. 

@CH3BURASHKA
    said:

" @n00bosaurusRex said:
    hah! good call "
    Yeah... I don't know what that means. Is that a European thing, equivalent of Alt+F4? "
    It means you hold W (Usually bound to move forward) and mouse 1 (usually bound to attack), meaning all you do is walk straight at the enemy with your flamethrower on. Common silly complaint.

Honestly for tips I'd say just remember your close ranged so unless your amazing at reflections (And all they have are soldiers) try to take side paths and such to get around to them. 
    And use airblast combos, meaning when your getting close to the enemy you use the airblast to knock them up in the air and either pop them with the shotgun or finish them with the Axetinguisher. The Degreaser helps a ton with this. Oh, on that note if you need items just ask, I only have an extra Axtinguisher, a bunch of Homewreckers (although they're almost useless) and some hats. But most people are so obsessed with new hats and stuff that some old pyro gear would be easy to get. Send me a PM if you wanna trade, although I'll just give you anything you want.

When I play pyro I actually rarely get flamethrower kills, the shotty + axe are really my primary killers. 
    jduster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By jduster

basically what everyone else said: 

1. use your flamethrower on your team mates to check for spies 
    2. use the flamethrower instead of the backburner. 
    3. ambush the enemy when possible.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous
    Dunno if you still need tips, but:

@Rockanomics said:
    " When I play pyro I actually rarely get flamethrower kills, the shotty + axe are really my primary killers.  "
    This is also how I play Pyro. What separates a normal Pyro from a really good and difficult-to-deal-with Pyro is the Pyro's ability to use his shotgun effectively. A Pyro that's good with his shotgun can be devastating to the other team. Combine good shotgun skills with Degreaser (so that you still have air blast and you gain the fast weapon switch) and Axstinguisher (crits for 195 on a burning player, which means you'll oneshot all non-overhealed classes except Heavy) and you'll be an incredible force to be reckoned with.
    D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#16  Edited By D_W

I think the Homewrecker is more useful then the Axetinguisher. Having the ability to remove sappers makes a Pyro so much more helpful to the team.

kevin32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kevin32

Avoid W+M1.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Marz

I try to avoid face to face confrontations with the enemy, try to flank and get behind em.  Then burn em all up!

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By canucks23
    @stafax said:
    The Backburner (the dragon flame thrower mentioned by the previous poster) is a very strong flame thrower, especially when you sneak up from behind, but it's not very useful in many situations due to the lack of air blast (which is performed by right click by the other two flame throwers). 
    They actually added an air blast to the backburner in a recent patch, so now it's a lot more useful and team friendly.
    Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@billnyethesciencepie said:

W +M1

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#22  Edited By alistercat  Online

I am a very casual player, and all I do is get the back burner and burn people from behind. I don't care about kill/death ratios. I just want to burn some people.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By octaslash

Use the Backburner when you get it. They recently changed it so it does have the airblast, it's just double the cost. It will kill your ammo, but it's worth it to save a flaming teammate or deflect a critical rocket. 

Anyway, if you can sneak up an a group of enemies, they're toast. Hell, you could even strafe around someone for maximum effect.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rockanomics

I imagine he's gotten the hang of it by now, the OP is 6 months old.

chadster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By chadster
    @Rockanomics: It's a helpful bump for all of us newbies! 

I've been really enjoying playing Pyro in the short time I've been playing. I enjoy sneaking around but I'm not nearly competent enough to play Spy, so getting the drop on guys with Pyro is the next best thing. But two matchups I've been having real problems with are Pyro v. Pyro and Pyro v. Heavy. Against another Pyro I just have no idea how I should approach it. Obviously they don't catch on fire, so should I be switching to shotgun/axe or should I just try to outmaneuver them with my flamethrower? And against a Heavy I can usually get up on their backs just fine, but they have so much health that it's really hard to actually finish them off before they just turn around and smoke me.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By mikemcn

Axetinguisher

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ravenlight

Your airblast (mouse 2) will extinguish burning teammates and net you some phat points for doing so. 

I've also been seeing a whole lot of new Pyros blissfully ignorant of Spies. If you're a Pyro and someone on your team says the magic words "spy" or "spy check," that means it's time to flip out and start burning the crap out of the environment.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By Kyreo

@minorinya said:

A Pryo is an Engineer's favorite guard dog. "Dog" in a good way.

This. You can be the best defense for Engineers or the most vicious of Spy Hunters. I'm sure these guys have given you many tips, but just know that Pyro is equally good on defense as it is on defense.

Also, yer shotgun is you're best friend.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ravenlight
    @Chadster said:
    @Rockanomics: . But two matchups I've been having real problems with are Pyro v. Pyro and Pyro v. Heavy. Against another Pyro I just have no idea how I should approach it. Obviously they don't catch on fire, so should I be switching to shotgun/axe or should I just try to outmaneuver them with my flamethrower? And against a Heavy I can usually get up on their backs just fine, but they have so much health that it's really hard to actually finish them off before they just turn around and smoke me.
    Against another Pyro, backpedaling while shooting our flamethrower is super effective if your opponent is foolish enough to chase you. The way the hit detection works means he'll take a constant stream of damage and you should come out relatively unharmed.  
    Should your opponent be more savvy, remember that Pyros may be resistant to fire but take the same damage from shotgun bullets as any other class.

Heavys are a real challenge in a 1 on 1 fight as Pyro. The unlockable Flaregun secondary weapons are useful at a distance because they do critical hits on already-burning opponents and because a spun-up Heavy can't move fast enough to evade the second or third shots. 
    If you get caught face-to-face with a Heavy, you can try airblasting him away and hightailing it out of there or you can attempt to circle-strafe around him and maybe burn him to death.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By valrog

When underwater, switch to your Shotgun/Melee. Other weapons deal absolutely no damage underwater (Though that much should be obvious).
    EXTINGUISH YOUR ALLIES!! You may not be set on fire, but we sure as hell can. I hate it when I'm burning to death and Pyro is just standing there.
    Oh, and use Airblast to shove away Ubered enemies.
    Also, if you're carrying Homewrecker, please remove Sappers.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By flaminghobo
    @MariachiMacabre said:

@billnyethesciencepie said:

W +M1

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Oh no, you didn't! 

Speaking from a Spy player's perspective, what was said about using a little ammo to check for spies is definitely recommended.
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By fox01313

Had pretty good luck with the Pyro & the Demo in TF2, as much as I love the kit in the engineer class, on many maps I get overrun before using any of the gadgets. Anyway my thoughts with the Pyro, the flare gun was much funnier in the Blood series but here in TF2 it works good though rate of fire is kind of lacking, better range than the shotgun. Most of the kills I get with the Pyro are pretty much coming up to people around the corner, put them on fire & either run off or keep torching them. Best hunting also for things like the engineer camps or places where players are converging as you will generally wreck things for a lot of people by sneaking in & charbroiling the lot of them. True you'll probably die from this but hopefully they won't get health so they will die from the fire or an assist from someone else. As others have said, if you see anyone, ever, be sure to give them a friendly quick blast of flame or axe to the face, if it's your team it won't do anything, any spies or anyone else will get dead soon. GLHB

cornwalliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By cornwalliz

hide around the corner, ambush medics, airblast rocket, protect engies on defense

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Brians

Weird to see people respond to this as I have moved on to two other easier classes medic and heavies

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By turbomonkey138

Use the degreaser flame someone airblash them and Axetinguisher easy mode

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SSully

@Briguile said:

Weird to see people respond to this as I have moved on to two other easier classes medic and heavies

Since the free to play update I think people responded because they thought it was in reference for all the new people on the game. It is a good reference for new people. A few easy tips about a pyro can make someone who is a horrible pyro into a good pyro.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Briguile said:
    So you gave up? 
    beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By beej

@n00bosaurusRex said:

@IncredibleBulk92 said:
    " In before some idiot tells you to just hold W+M1. "
    hah! good call

Man I was gonna do that!

Seriously though, love that air blast.

thespartandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By thespartandon

Pyro is the only class I play as in TF2 (I've played as other classes, but almost always play as the Pyro exclusively because I'm best with that class) I mainly just flank around and ambush folks. Getting them into corners or against walls. I always use the Backburner because it's literally an Insta-Kill if you get behind a dude. If I can't get close enough to a guy, I'll just use the Flare Gun to widdle they're health down and get Assist's.

But the Pyro is the easiest class to master in my opinion, because all once you start burning a dude with your flamethrower, you've usually gotten a kill. A lot of people dunno how to counter a Pyro. By the time they react to your attacks, it's already too late.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iDarktread

Degreaser, Flare Gun, Axtinguisher, but not necessarily exclusively. 

Right-click to airblast your enemy into a corner or up into the air after igniting them, and then switch to your melee and one-hit them. You should go into your control options, click 'advanced,' and then enable 'quick weapon switch' or whatever first, though. It helps with playing every class. The Flare Gun does a full crit if you hit a burning opponent, so once you get the timing down, and practive leading shots, you'll be able to do a lot of long-range damage. 

Feel free to try all of the different Pyro weapons, though; most work just fine, however some combos, like the one I mentioned, work better than others.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Brians
    @iDarktread: I have all those weapons now and I really should try playing pyro more so I can play three classes

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.