Valve Economist Explains Why You Can't Price Your Hat

#1 Edited by PeezMachine (235 posts) -
#2 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

@PeezMachine: It's a great article. The TF2 economy is a strange thing, and it certainly isn't close to equilibrium.

#3 Posted by Blackout62 (1338 posts) -

Yep... Yep, I just tore my brain reading that. If I ever needed a reason why I'm a liberal arts major.

#4 Posted by tsiro (214 posts) -

I really like the way that this guys writes. As someone who does't really know anything about economics, I thought this was super interesting. Can't wait for future installments!

#5 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4601 posts) -

I didn't even realize this shit was going on. TF2 is fucking crazy.

#6 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

Well, I understood it, being a Computer Scientist (and thus pretty versed in mathematics). Really interesting article. I look forward to reading more of his analysis into the virtual economy Valve has made.

#7 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

As an economics student I find what this man is doing very fascinating.

#8 Posted by AURON570 (1674 posts) -

Haha he had to tease us at the end saying they might make this information available in real-time. Not much of a trader in TF2, just don't really care for much of the items, but it's definitely interesting and sometimes hilarious to see how people value and trade things in the game.

#9 Posted by PeezMachine (235 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

I didn't even realize this shit was going on. TF2 is fucking crazy.

Yeah, I was never a regular player - just hop in a game when a friend wanted to blow off some steam - and I just can't hack it anymore because keeping up with TF2 is a full-time job. Apparently you can craft things (I'm not feigning ignorance here, I'm really too overwhelmed to bother with TF2 any more).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.