Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

What map to start out on as a newbie.

intoblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By intoblivion

Hi I have recently bought a brand new gaming PC and got the orange box free with it, and have taking a liking to TF2, I was wondering do you guys have any ideas on good severs to start off on where iam not going to get humiliated but I will still learn things. Also what are the best maps to learn and perfect. hope you guys can anwser my questions 

Intoblivion
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'd suggest Badwater Basin. When I was a new to TF2 I played the Badwater tonnes, because I absolutely loved the map, and it was very easy to get into. And I know another person who did this too, so I'd say it's a pretty good map for new players.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By tebbit

I dunno about servers, but 2fort is a really fun map, super simple. Just watch out for snipers (aka don't stand around for too long at the front of your base) ;)
    Beehdaubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Beehdaubs

When I first started, I played the crap out of Dustbowl and 2fort, which are two very simple maps in my opinion :3

intoblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By intoblivion

Ive played a bit of 2fort and its quite a good map espically when I use the spy which I enjoy the hell of out
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kohe321

2fort for sure.

peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By peewi

I wouldn't say that there's any maps that are particularly more beginner friendly than the others. Just try to stay away from custom maps. I'd stay away from CTF maps on pub servers too. Very often they stalemate due to a large number of engineers on both teams.
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Metroid545

2fort is a great map

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By sjschmidt93

2Fort is way overrated. 

Try a payload map. Gravelpit is probably the best CP map. Turbine is also good to learn Engineers.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Coltonio7

2Fort is great.

Awesome practice at whatever.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By mracoon

There's no one map that's good for beginners but they're all easy to learn if you play them for a while. My personal favourite maps are Turbine, Badwater Basin and Dustbowl.

Damolition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Damolition

2fort was designed to display the strengths of every class.

But really, you can experiment on almost any map.

dartagnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dartagnan

play them all.

jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By jasondaplock

The payload maps (the ones where you push a cart like Goldrush or Badwater Basin) have the simplest and, more importantly, most approachable mechanic in TF2. If you are on the BLU team, you need to stand next to the cart. If you are on the RED team, you need to keep people away from the cart. The gameplay is focused and simple. 

Why are people recommending 2Fort, for the nostalgia factor? CTF has never been TF2's strong suit and too many shenanigans between Snipers and Engies occur on that map for it to be good for a newbie.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    @jasondaplock said:
    " The payload maps (the ones where you push a cart like Goldrush or Badwater Basin) have the simplest and, more importantly, most approachable mechanic in TF2. If you are on the BLU team, you need to stand next to the cart. If you are on the RED team, you need to keep people away from the cart. The gameplay is focused and simple.  Why are people recommending 2Fort, for the nostalgia factor? CTF has never been TF2's strong suit and too many shenanigans between Snipers and Engies occur on that map for it to be good for a newbie. "
    I agree man, 2Fort is actually a pretty bad map.  It almost always ends in stalemates that are only ever broken when a lucky Spy or Scout slips through.  Generally it's just not fun to play. 

While payload maps are pretty good I'd actually recommend the Payload Race maps over them (type plr into the filter)  and the new koth (King of the Hill) mode is also pretty good.  They're both easy to learn concepts where you can safely play quite badly without anybody noticing, it's good to practice with different classes and tactics on those maps too. 

The best bit of advice would be to avoid the arena maps until you've played a bit more.  You only have 1 life per round and any mistakes you make are pretty severly punished when you compare it to other TF2 game modes as there's not much chance to restore your health or ammo. 

Oh and my personal favourite map is cp_fastlane, it's always fun to jump into for a few rounds.
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bass

2fort is a really good map to learn and develop skills that, while not necessarily required, make the game a lot more fun and satisfying. This is because 2fort normally ends up being nothing more than team deathmatch, so you are able to concentrate pretty independently on not dying, as opposed to the objective of most other maps.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @SuperMooseman said:
    " @MattyFTM said:
    " I'd suggest Badwater Basin. When I was a new to TF2 I played the Badwater tonnes, because I absolutely loved the map, and it was very easy to get into. And I know another person who did this too, so I'd say it's a pretty good map for new players. "
    Not sure if Matty is referring to me or not, but I totally did this. That map is insanely fun because of the different routes, methods of playing and the wide, open space. If I were you though, I'd just go in to a map rotation server and see what takes your fancy. "
    Yes, I was totally referring to you.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Systech

2Fort or Dustbowl.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187

Having FINALLY played the game...2Fort.  Great map.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.