Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

Why you should be playing TF2 this weekend

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

No Caption Provided

SO BASICALLY

Valve have decided to pit the Soldier and the Demoman together - every Soldier who kills and Demoman and every Demoman who kills a Soldier - these kills are recorded by Valve and stacked up. At the end of the week whoever has the most kills of their alternative earns their class a new bonus weapon.  

TO MAKE THINGS INTERESTING

Valve will be releasing normal (super rare) Class update weapons for both the Soldier and Demoman over the course of the week, a new weapon every few days. These new weapons are, I suppose, designed to encourage people to take part in the event.

I logged on today and was thrown instantly into chaos. Or rather, more chaos than usual. The playerbase seems to be loving the competitive spirit as the entire match revolved around Soldiers and Demomen shooting the fuck out of each other with unprecedented passion. Truth be told, the real killing was done by the Spies - it's easy to hide amongst a team full of a single class. No love for the Scout though :(

I also like how Valve is handling the entire affair, promoting the event with a nice series of teasers and viral marketing. See the short comic:
    Considering Team Fortress 2 has been sold at ridiculous discounts several times over the past few months ($0.99 at Halloween for fucks sake) there really is no excuse not to at least take a gander into Valves world of batshit dark humour. And if you do decide to take part, make sure you are fighting for the right team. Maggots. 

No Caption Provided
    Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

No Caption Provided

SO BASICALLY

Valve have decided to pit the Soldier and the Demoman together - every Soldier who kills and Demoman and every Demoman who kills a Soldier - these kills are recorded by Valve and stacked up. At the end of the week whoever has the most kills of their alternative earns their class a new bonus weapon.  

TO MAKE THINGS INTERESTING

Valve will be releasing normal (super rare) Class update weapons for both the Soldier and Demoman over the course of the week, a new weapon every few days. These new weapons are, I suppose, designed to encourage people to take part in the event.

I logged on today and was thrown instantly into chaos. Or rather, more chaos than usual. The playerbase seems to be loving the competitive spirit as the entire match revolved around Soldiers and Demomen shooting the fuck out of each other with unprecedented passion. Truth be told, the real killing was done by the Spies - it's easy to hide amongst a team full of a single class. No love for the Scout though :(

I also like how Valve is handling the entire affair, promoting the event with a nice series of teasers and viral marketing. See the short comic:
    Considering Team Fortress 2 has been sold at ridiculous discounts several times over the past few months ($0.99 at Halloween for fucks sake) there really is no excuse not to at least take a gander into Valves world of batshit dark humour. And if you do decide to take part, make sure you are fighting for the right team. Maggots. 

No Caption Provided
    Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

Damn I still have yet to buy this game for the PC (have it for 360 though). All the content and, well, players seem to be there. I will pick it up next time it drops down in price, and $0.99 is ridiculously cheap, I should have picked it up then. 

Still, this sounds like a great idea and is a cool way to get some more players over a weekend.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @RHCPfan24 said:
    "this sounds like a great idea and is a cool way to get some more players over a weekend. "
    Valve have been really good at supporting this community with events like this, it's really basic stuff but it can have quite a profound impact on the way people play the game - a fresh perspective, one might say...
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By ImperiousRix

Goddamnit.  I only have it for 360 and it looks like Valve is NEVER gonna release those updates for consoles.

I'd pay for the damn content at this point!  Just gimme some love, Valve!

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I had the 360 version for over a year before I got my PC copy. The difference is amazing, though I still think I can snipe just fine with a 360 controller...

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Wildfire570

All right now I have a reason to reinstall TF2 now!

Hoshnasi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Hoshnasi

I think Demo is gonna take this one.

http://twitpic.com/t0a7h

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Hoshnasi said:
    " I think Demo is gonna take this one.   http://twitpic.com/t0a7h "
    Yeah I think so too. I'm glad the soldier is getting new weapons anyway though because he currently feels the least inspired of all the classes.
    GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By GeneralTurkle

Does anyone know any weapons yet? Or is it next week they come out?

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Bass

he's also the most utilitarian out of the classes though, at least in my opinion

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11  Edited By End_Boss

This almost makes me want to download Steam and buy the game, just so I can officially declare war on Sweep. :P

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By inkeiren

Man I love TF2. These updates never cease to surprise me.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Finally moved and back to a hardwired connection. This looks very interesting. I've missed out on so much TF2.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By ajamafalous

Team Soldier!

I can totally see the SUPER SECRET EXCLUSIVE SEVENTH WEAPON being a joke (read: not actually a useful item).

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Snail

WAR!

I said: What is is good for?
    Absolutely nothin'!

Seriously though, there is no way, *no way*, a sentry can hold strong for more than a minute!
    durog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By durog

cool thanks for the info!

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By mracoon

As a Demo is my most played class I think it's clear whose side I'm on. Also, time to update the wiki.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Snail said:
    "

WAR!

I said: What is is good for?
    Absolutely nothin'!

Seriously though, there is no way, *no way*, a sentry can hold strong for more than a minute! "
    Yeah, this week is hell for engineers. I've already seen a bunch of irregularly-placed sentries.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I love the little message that pops up "[player] contributed XX demo kills to the war!" It really makes you feel like being a part of something bigger, even when you are not playing a demo or soldier.

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By NoDeath

14 hours in and the Soldiers have already pulled a 100,000 kill lead. Of course this hardly means its decided, however I've said before, I think the soldier is the slightly more popular class. Actually thanks to Valve, I know he is.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By mikemcn

Im  getting TF2 to work again just for this haha im going soldier, demo isnt my style.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dalai

So this weekend everybody will be either Demomen or Soldiers.  I'll have to go Sniper this weekend.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Dalai said:
    " So this weekend everybody will be either Demomen or Soldiers.  I'll have to go Sniper this weekend. "
    Yeah you can see some guys trying to mix it up, pull off a sniper or a medic or something - but they just get blown to shreds. Too much explosive firepower in the mix. Especially the engineers, those guys are getting eyefucked...
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Hamz

I think I need to get my Demoman on, yeah baby!

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By breadfan

I've never really played too much Team Fortress 2, mainly because I suck.  However I may jump on this weekend and play.

Downandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Downandout

I went on earlier and got totally destroyed =[ I haven't played for a month and haven't got used to the flow of the game again yet ¬¬

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By DrRandle

For the Soldier!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.