Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2013

Up to four players can team up and save New York City from gangs, mutants, and ninjas in this downloadable 3D third-person brawler based on the 2012 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series.

Anyone getting this?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Poll Anyone getting this? (138 votes)

Hell yeah! Turtle Power! 22%
    Maybe 40%
    Nope 38%

So this game comes out on Wednesday on Xbox Live (as part of Summer of Arcade) AND Pc. PS3 duders will have to wait until September 24 before they can go all cowabunga.

The game is based on the Nicklodeon version of the Turtles (which is a pretty great show) and is like a 3D actiony beat em up/ adventure game with some rpg elements sprinkled on. I was honestly against the game at first because I thought the Turtles looked stupid as hell, but as I watched more gameplay the more okay I was with a more realistic version of them. It looks fun enough to where I have no problem shelling out $15 for this. (No pun intended there, honest!)

What about you duders?

• 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Edit: I guess the Steam date hasn't been confirmed yet. Not sure why Wikipedia thinks it's the 28th, but apparently it's not.

Edit 2: Yes it is on Steam right naow!

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By morningstar

I want a quick look first. Then I'll decide.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My girlfriend is a huge TMNT fan so I'm kinda required to buy this. Bummed the PS3 version won't be out for another month due to Summer of Arcade BS though =/

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

Heck yes I am! Massive Turtles fan and I cannot wait to download this tomorrow! :D

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Originally I wasn't, was one of those people that hated the way the Turtles looked, but I decided to watch the character trailers and now I'm actually cautiously optimistic. So maybe, I'll have about a month to decide at least since I'd pick it up on PSN.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Most likely not. I'm not into Turtles, be they of the regular, mutant ninja, or even avian variety.

I'd totally watch a Quicklook though.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged said:

Heck yes I am! Massive Turtles fan and I cannot wait to download this tomorrow! :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most likely not. I'm not into Turtles, be they of the regular, mutant ninja, or even avian variety.

I'd totally watch a Quicklook though.

Oh no you di'int!

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By skooks

Definitely. Maybe not day one, but at some point.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By SMTDante89

Edit: I guess the Steam date hasn't been confirmed yet. Not sure why Wikipedia thinks it's the 28th, but apparently it's not.

Actually it is, and it's available now!

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A huge maybe for me.

The trailers caught my attention, but I will see reviews first before buying the game.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

After trying the demo on XBLA, I'm glad I didn't buy it straight away.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95 said:

Actually it is, and it's available now!

God dayum! Thanks for the info

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I think the videos of gameplay look pretty good, so I'll try the demo. But I'm definitely interested

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By InternetDotCom

Not exactly glowing impressions

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched the Game Informer Test Chamber...I'll stick with Turtles in Time.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

I've been a huge TMNT fan since I was a kid in the 80's.

I was all set to download this on PSN next month when it's released...but it sounds atrocious. It's a shame. Back to Hyperstone Heist and Manhattan Project.

BlamBlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather spend that money on the current tv series.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gorillamopena: The game is pretty rough. There are glitches out the wazoo, the AI is pretty bad, and the frame rate chugs at certain parts.

Still despite its obvious flaws I'm really enjoying myself. Combat is fun, lots of reasons to replay the game, and a classic Arcade mode which I've yet to try.

If you love TMNT and can tolerate dumb action games with tons of glitches, you might enjoy it.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a big TMNT fan, just bought a set of all four new figures. Anyway,I hate the look and feel of this game. the voices sound way off to me as well. Played the demo for about 5 min. And had enough. Went back and downloaded turtles in time And the original arcade game.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Dalai

So when was the last good TMNT game, Turtles in Time? And not the remake.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they look familiar...

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dalai said:

I really loved this one.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By geirr

I'll decide after a quicklook, if we're so lucky.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tennmuerti

How to spot a bad game on Steam:

When at release the game's screenshot section only has bullshots and no gameplay.

drchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not saying it's a great game, but it's decent. This is certainly one of those rare cases where the demo makes the game seem 100% worse than it actually is. I played the demo and was like "NOPE!" But I love TMNT so I decided to buy anyway and it was different from the demo. Even the "here's the controls" portion was different. In the actual game you're escaping a building as April, that's how they teach you basic movement, etc.

What's weird is that the characters and storylines are all from the new animated TMNT...but they chose to keep the turtles look more like the old Eastman n Laird stuff. And yeah those voices, ugh. What else is weird is the database shows another TMNT game coming out near the end of the year, it using the animated assets from the new show. Which would make one think this current one has nothing to do with the show...but it does. So...confusing much?

It does have 4 player online co-op. That's a plus. (wasn't the last one not co-op at all...which is dumb in a 4 person turtle team?).

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Tried this on console and it was absolutely terrible. Clunky as fuck, terrible framerate. Then, on PC, smooth 60 frames with no button press delay. Want to play this? Try it on your PC and leave that vomit-covered console version where it belongs.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When at release the game's screenshot section only has bullshots and no gameplay.

Every single game on Steam is a bad game?

Cloudleet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Cloudleet

Pretty sure I'll end up buying it at some point, but for now I'm gonna stick with Turtles in Time on the SNES. MY TOE, MY TOE!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those thinking of getting this it sounds like this game does not have local co-op for those looking to play with a friend on a couch.

RazorRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: If that's true it's a deal breaker for me, only reason I was interested in getting it.

drchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By drchi

@i_stay_puft said:

For those thinking of getting this it sounds like this game does not have local co-op for those looking to play with a friend on a couch.

It does have local co-op, but only 2 player (split screen) on the console.

What's crazy is: after you beat the first chapter you unlock an arcade cabinet. The game on that cabinet is a side scrolling beat-em-up (a la the Turtles arcade game) using this games fighting system. I'm enjoying that game more than the "real" game.

Also a warning to those who may play this, I have found a reproducible bug:

When you are sneaking you can tell the AI turtles to stay or follow. But if you're stealthing and the AI is in wait mode and an enemy attacks you. You of course come out of stealth to fight, but you no longer can re-enter stealth to tell AI to follow. Without being told to follow the AI will sit there crouched doing nothing while you get your butt handed to you. You can switch to the AI guys and move them around, but if you switch off them the AI just stands there. Like it's still stuck in "wait here" mode.

Also, Inventory is NOT shared. Even when playing solo.

Also, I don't know if there's a concept page for this but, this falls squarely into "No Waypoints"+"Confusing Level Design"="Lost all the time"

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti said:

Every single game on Steam is a bad game?

Nope, plenty of games show screenshots of the actual gameplay or trailers of the same.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drchi: @razorramen: Thanks for the heads up if there is, I looked at several sites and it said no local co-op only 4 player co-op online.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have this game. The combat is really fun and gets deeper the more you level up your Turtles. Unfortunately the game has a shitload of bugs, the campaign is ridiculously short, and almost feels incomplete. The whole campaign feels like it should be one chapter of a much larger game. Online 4 player co-op is the best way to play this game but sadly online co-op only exists in the underwhelming story mode. What's even crazier is that local co-op only goes up to 2 players, even in Arcade mode which even shows 4 player game footage in the menu at Don's Arcade Cabinet (if this mode had 4 player online & offline co-op, this would be my favourite mode). You'll also probably end up playing this with your own music running in the background after a couple playthroughs as the in-game music is incredibly monotonous. From time to time there can also be some brutal load times, especially when hacking terminals. I did find the hacking mini-game to be one of the more interesting ones though, for a game with hacking stuff in them.

If it weren't for the addictive combat and skill trees I would probably completely regret my purchase. Is this worth $15? In my opinion, no. Maybe $10 but only if you're a longtime TMNT fan that can overlook the bugs in this game. If you aren't into TMNT I would have to recommend to save your money and steer clear of this game or get the TMNT 1989 Arcade if you haven't already (it's $5 on XBLM).

StrawHatLaw13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone tried playing online coop yet? I tried w/ my brother yesterday but it wasn't working. :(

godlyone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By godlyone

I'm surprised no one's mentioning the camera, it's pretty bad. It's zoomed way too close to your character and every time you jump over something or climb a ladder, the camera points towards the ground. It was the worst during the boss battle in the second stage, one of the few games in a long time to give me a headache from playing it for an hour.

I kept losing the other turtles going through the sewers since they were constantly getting stuck on a piece of the environment and just stood there. It was a small team that made this game and they seemed like they were proud of making a Turtles game but it isn't very good.

Combat is fun but the best thing this game has going for it is the title screen. Like @rotnac mentioned, $10 would've been an alright price but $15 is asking way too much.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I heard the PC version is super broken, choppy framerates and the like, so with that said, no, I am not getting this until it's fixed or free on PSN.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@dalai said:

I liked the PS2 ones that were based on the 2003 animated series.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll guess I'll throw in my thoughts on the game too.

Story Mode: The story for this game is really forgettable, the writing is cheesier than a joke about Wisconsin, and it doesn't have the same cast for the show it is based on. (Fun fact: Carlos Alazraqui did Raph's voice for this game) The gameplay is basically a 3D beat em up kinda deal with some "stealth" sequences thrown in. The action and combat is actually pretty fun. It's nothing to complex but the leveling up bit adds a bit of depth to it.

Then we have stealth thrown in, and it's pointless. You can enter stealth mode by clicking in the left analog stick, and you and the other Turtles are crouched down. In this mode you can sneak up on enemies and stealth ko them. There is an annoying glitch that @drchi mentioned where you tell the turtles to stay (this is used so they don't get caught moving) and if you get caught, you have to run away so you can re-enter stealth mode and tell them to stop waiting. This is especially problematic in smaller areas where you can't do this, and the Turtles just stand there getting the shit beat out of them. (Unless you take control of them)

I should also mention the AI in this game is broken. Sometimes, you'll be sneaking up on an enemy and are clearly in his point of view, yet he'll just keep walking or turn around and you'll be undetected. While other times there's no possible way they can see you, yet they somehow detect you. Pretty much made me not bother with stealthing.

It's a pretty short campaign of about 4 hours or so. There are 4 chapters, some of them like Chapter 4 are way longer than the others. Story mode can be played 2 players locally and four player online.

Arcade mode: This mode is probably the best thing about this game for some people. It's basically a throwback game to the older TMNT arcade games, only with the upgrades and combo stuff from this game. It can get challenging, so you'll want to level up your favorite Turtle before digging into it. Unfortunately this mode doesn't have online and you can't select levels. (Too authentic, Red Fly.)

There's also a survival mode, but I'm sure you can guess what that is about.

Out of the Shadows comes across as a really rushed game. If Activision gave the devs more time to polish it, I think it could have been a lot better. As it stands it's a lot of fun if you love TMNT and can put up with all the glitches and technical problems.

Overall: 7 out of 10 for the people who really like TMNT and can tolerate this game's obvious problems. 4 out of 10 for everyone else.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I really like the new Nickelodeon TMNT show and it's too bad this one doesn't follow that style. I'm sorry, but the only Turtles game I've ever enjoyed was Turtles in Time on the SNES. I was burned by the terrible GameCube games and it'd take a lot of positive reviews of this one to get me to even consider it.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The best thing on the game is the menu music. Love that song!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.