Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Aug 05, 2009

A 3D remake of the original beat-em-up arcade classic, Turtles in Time.

This Game Sucks

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By TheHBK

Sorry to say it, I was so looking forward to it but this game is terrible.  I downloaded the trial mind you but isn't that what trials are for?  This game plays so much more different than the original.  WIth it being 3d now, the game just seems more complex for some reason, with the foot soldiers able to hit you from more than just left or right, so its harder to defend yourself.  But higher difficulty would be welcomed if the audio did no suck so much.  Without it, there is no nostalgia for me.  The trailer gave me hope, when it used the cartoon theme, but none of that can be found as far as I have seen.  They use the voices of the guys from the new TMNT cartoon which suck and are not as good as the voices used in the original game, cartoon or first movie.  They annoy the crap out of me because they sound more like 12 year olds than actual teenage mutant ninja turtles. 
    But the part that pisses me off the most is the music.  They don't even try to redo the music, they scrap it all together, except for the first few notes of the title screen.  The first level had memorable upbeat music, this crap is just some slow beat that makes the game unbearable because all I can do is remember how awesome the game was on the SNES.  I don't get what they were thinking or who would buy this if they completely changed or threw away what made this game memorable for so many.  Why not go a different route, easier one and just collaborate with Konami to release the original game but with maybe updated graphics that don't affect the game, like so many arcade games had done in the past.  Fuck you Ubisoft, you ruined what was a great game.  Where the fuck is my music?!?!?!

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By super_machine

Ha ha. I thought so. I have fond memories of playing the original in arcades. It was a blast back then, but then again I was 13.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By CoverlessTech

The 3d stuff felt kinda weird. Being able to attack up and down and on diagonals was kind of weird.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By skrutop

Well, kudos for trying to pull another BC: Rearmed, but I guess the lesson might be to not change up the controls, just the graphics.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

The 2D artwork in the game is HORRIBLE.  So ugly and crappy.  The remixed first stage music was also HORRIBLE.  The song was catchy in the original versions, now it's just crap.  I noticed in the credits that they had one guy doing ALL the sound for the game.  Even NES games had more than one guy on sound often...

I'm not so put off by the gameplay or 3D graphics, but it's still not great.  I'm skipping on this one as well, anyways.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By NickM

Yeah, I got the feeling from the demo, but then again I knew it would suck.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Metroid545

I think its pretty decent fun

bigyawn_hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bigyawn_hippo

Nostalgia got the better of me and I bought the full game played through it about 5 consecutive times and had fun with it,   probably will not touch it again.    I understand why they cut the price of this game as 12000 points would have been day light robbery . The biggest   fault   of this game is..... where is the cartoon theme music ! They used it in the trailer but not in the game L 

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tokyochicken

Its not that bad, I mean it being 3d hasn't made it more complex its still a beat-em-up, the original controlled pretty much the same way. The only real difference is probably the hit boxes, if that's what your talking about then yes its different, not more complex.

Its a failed remake, its funny though, with a game like that if you end up just changing the graphics to full 3d and leave it at that you end up getting criticism for that but change too much and you also get burned on the stake. Good reboots are hard, there's a lot of shit that can go wrong in trying to be faithful to an older game but still being different. 

I dunno, it was just a trial just be done with it I guess, at least you didn't cough up $10. The music isn't completely the same but its kind of fun seeing the familiar locals in 3d now.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Scullinator

I would have rather just had a port of the arcade version, just like the other TMNT game thats out.  Why did they have to go and mess it up.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Metroid545

The only thing I really missed when I played re-shelled was the awesome music, mainly sewer surfing ;( 

Babymauler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Babymauler

If anything this game has reignited me long dormant love for the Turtles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think it's pretty fun. The music doesn't bother me.

Yeah, the original will always be the best. But for an arcade remake, this game is still a lot of fun with friends.

It is far from sucking.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By toowalrus

I have no nostalgia for the original game... think I'll like it?

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VWGTI
    @Metroid545: 

What the hell! They didn't include the classic music?! 

*announcer voice*
    EPIC FAIL
    Earthborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Earthborn

I don't think it sucks. It's just too expensive.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Metroid545
    @VWGTI said:
    " @Metroid545:   What the hell! They didn't include the classic music?!   *announcer voice* EPIC FAIL "
    yeah it sucks ass man, a little bit of me died while playing that level
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheHBK
    @Metroid545 said:
    " @VWGTI said:
    " @Metroid545:   What the hell! They didn't include the classic music?!   *announcer voice* EPIC FAIL "
    yeah it sucks ass man, a little bit of me died while playing that level "

Exactly, sometimes the music is pretty important guys, why say that it doesnt matter.  Sound, graphics and gameplay/controls are all important.  And here, this game needed the sound badly, since the new 3d gameplay was not that fun for me.  And the graphics were just weirder and more cartoony for some reason. 
    You hear that Sewer surfin theme?  Classic.  My favorite was always Starbase, Where no Turtle has gone before.  That one I thought was closest to the cartoon theme, but was fast and epic, like this was the final battle.  I think it was also the longest level if I remember correctly. 

And the original arcade one. 

You can tell the arcade is higher quality audio but both sound good, I like the voice in the SNES one.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By ThomasP
    @TooWalrus said:
    " I have no nostalgia for the original game... think I'll like it? "
    I doubt it. The original was awesome; the re-make is not.
    RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RipTheVeins
    @Metroid545 said:

" The only thing I really missed when I played re-shelled was the awesome music, mainly sewer surfing ;( 

"
    My Toes!  My Toes!
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_A_Drain

I told you guys it would be :) Nobody listened. It's a shame because the original is fantastic, but the moment I saw screens of this one I knew it was gonna be awful. Good job they cut the price though, that's some consellation to those that bought it right away.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.