Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 11, 1989

Originally appearing as an arcade game in 1989, the game has seen many re-releases in all of its years, but most recently it has appeared on the Xbox Live Marketplace.

My Life with Video Games, Turtles in a- Wait, What the Hell?

Seraphim84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Edited By Seraphim84

It’s no secret that I was a huge Ninja Turtles aficionado as a kid. We’re talking shampoo, action figures, puzzles, a portable pinball machine (did ANYONE else have this? There's nothing on the internet about it existing), those sorta gross vanilla pies all just because they had the four green brothers attached. So it was no question to my parents that if there was a TMNT game out, the least they could do was make sure I had it. And sure enough, it showed up. As you can imagine, I was elated. I’ll be able to beat up foot soldiers, mousers, Shredder, Krang! Well as we all know, the first Ninja Turtles game to grace the NES had, let’s say a loose interpretation of their world.

A Frog, Eye-flowers, and Fire mummies? Sure

Going into one of the sewers, you may get the purple mousers and flies with shirtless chainsaw guys. Fine, I can accept that, and hey, there’s even a foot soldier! But down the second or third sewer, you see one of two groups when you come down: blue/red moths and an immolated mummy or a skin-eye-UFO thing, ceiling legs with spikes, and a chi-channeling guy. Huh? It was years later that I found out that Konami simply didn’t have any material on the universe aside from the important stuff, so they pulled a Super Mario Land and just did whatever. Sure they had Bebop and Rocksteady, but the damage was done; this was a weird approximation to what should’ve been a supremely simple sell.

In addition to the weird bad guys and slightly unusual environments, the game proved incredibly difficult for what I would imagine to be its target audience. I mean, just try to go back to the dam level and defuse all the bombs, it’s still excruciatingly difficult. And the few times I did pass that, why couldn’t I go any farther you ask? I couldn’t figure out how to shoot those ropes across the buildings to progress!

Just look at that big screen TV!

Thankfully, this tarnished product didn’t make my love for the last vestiges of the word Cowabunga waver. And just a couple years later, that loyalty paid off with TMNT II: the Arcade Game. I’m pretty sure I never actually played this in arcades, but praise the people who decided to have it grace the NES. The simplicity of a left-to-right, jump and attack system made this game everything my seven year old self could get behind. Tons of foot soldiers, almost everything taken straight out of the cartoon (what the hell was that samurai ghost though?), it even had proper Pizza Hut advertisements! It was this game that washed all the horrid memories of the original game away, practically never to be touched again. And much like its successor (IV, not III), this is a game I've come back to every few years for the mindless enjoyment of returning to my childhood memories of yore via jump kicks and shell shock.

What did this all mean for me though? I soon realized that the shows and toys that I loved could all find themselves into the video game world. Granted, that didn’t guarantee it would be good (i.e. 1), but if done right (i.e. 2) became a necessary component of its fandom. Later on I would discover Chip n Dale, Batman, Mickey Mouse, even Where’s Waldo. Yes, this was nothing new to the video gaming world at large. But for me, to have my childhood favorites enjoyably playable made sure that I wouldn’t be able to simply pass the world by without giving it to Shredhead myself.

Seraphim84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Seraphim84

It’s no secret that I was a huge Ninja Turtles aficionado as a kid. We’re talking shampoo, action figures, puzzles, a portable pinball machine (did ANYONE else have this? There's nothing on the internet about it existing), those sorta gross vanilla pies all just because they had the four green brothers attached. So it was no question to my parents that if there was a TMNT game out, the least they could do was make sure I had it. And sure enough, it showed up. As you can imagine, I was elated. I’ll be able to beat up foot soldiers, mousers, Shredder, Krang! Well as we all know, the first Ninja Turtles game to grace the NES had, let’s say a loose interpretation of their world.

Going into one of the sewers, you may get the purple mousers and flies with shirtless chainsaw guys. Fine, I can accept that, and hey, there’s even a foot soldier! But down the second or third sewer, you see one of two groups when you come down: blue/red moths and an immolated mummy or a skin-eye-UFO thing, ceiling legs with spikes, and a chi-channeling guy. Huh? It was years later that I found out that Konami simply didn’t have any material on the universe aside from the important stuff, so they pulled a Super Mario Land and just did whatever. Sure they had Bebop and Rocksteady, but the damage was done; this was a weird approximation to what should’ve been a supremely simple sell.

In addition to the weird bad guys and slightly unusual environments, the game proved incredibly difficult for what I would imagine to be its target audience. I mean, just try to go back to the dam level and defuse all the bombs, it’s still excruciatingly difficult. And the few times I did pass that, why couldn’t I go any farther you ask? I couldn’t figure out how to shoot those ropes across the buildings to progress!

Thankfully, this tarnished product didn’t make my love for the last vestiges of the word Cowabunga waver. And just a couple years later, that loyalty paid off with TMNT II: the Arcade Game. I’m pretty sure I never actually played this in arcades, but praise the people who decided to have it grace the NES. The simplicity of a left-to-right, jump and attack system made this game everything my seven year old self could get behind. Tons of foot soldiers, almost everything taken straight out of the cartoon (what the hell was that samurai ghost though?), it even had proper Pizza Hut advertisements! It was this game that washed all the horrid memories of the original game away, practically never to be touched again. And much like its successor (IV, not III), this is a game I've come back to every few years for the mindless enjoyment of returning to my childhood memories of yore via jump kicks and shell shock.

What did this all mean for me though? I soon realized that the shows and toys that I loved could all find themselves into the video game world. Granted, that didn’t guarantee it would be good (i.e. 1), but if done right (i.e. 2) became a necessary component of its fandom. Later on I would discover Chip n Dale, Batman, Mickey Mouse, even Where’s Waldo. Yes, this was nothing new to the video gaming world at large. But for me, to have my childhood favorites enjoyably playable made sure that I wouldn’t be able to simply pass the world by without giving it to Shredhead myself.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By EthanielRain

I can remember getting stuck at the same spot over and over, playing this as a kid. Frustrated me to tears and I never did beat it. One of these days...

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#3  Edited By Slag

man that first Turtles game was so weird and wicked hard. I never did beat Shredder

Not sure turtles ever topped the Arcade brawler version, that game was dope.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

This was easily one of my top 3 most played games on my NES as a kid, but I only made it past disarming the bombs in the dam like three or four times, max. Game was so fucking hard. I'd like to go back and play it again just to see if I could beat it now.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#5  Edited By MightyDuck

That first TMNT game on the NES was crazy hard for me, considering I was 5 or 6 at the time. Although, TMNT 2 and TMNT 3 Manhatten Project were great games on the NES as well.

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Slither_Maggot

: I think -every- kid in the history of gaming who played this got stuck on that part. It was just horrible moment that will be burned into our memories forever. :-(

: I liked all the Turtles' titles for NES but why no particular love for III (The Manhattan Project) I mean Turtles In Time was a better game but I think III was my favorite NES Turtles' title.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By DarthOrange

Only Turtles game I ever played on consoles was the Turtles in Time re-release on PSN that came out a while ago. I had a ton of fun with it and I was never really a fan of the turtles. I can just imagine the glee a young fan would have had playing it. This reminds me of how much fun I had playing Scooby-Doo Mystery on SNES. Ah to be a kid and love everything.

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Slither_Maggot

: OH MAN! I have to admit I bought that on XBLM for my 360 but the original SNES version is sooooooo much better. It was cool to see an old favorite like Turtles In Time given a face-lift but to be honest the SNES controls were much more responsive, the hit detection was better and the game overall just carries a lot more charm. If you still own any older systems I would definitely suggest finding and original copy! 100% worth it!

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Hamst3r

@Seraphim84 said:

a portable pinball machine (did ANYONE else have this?

This thing?

No Caption Provided

Yeah. :)

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Slither_Maggot

: YES! HAD IT! LOVE IT! :-D

Seraphim84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seraphim84
    Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Slither_Maggot

: HOLY HELL! That is awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.