Best guy for n00bs.

#1 Posted by laser56 (54 posts) -

ok heres the deal I have not played a Tekken game since number 2 so I don't know the people in the new games who should I play since I just got back into Tekken?

#2 Posted by Siris (432 posts) -

Play the game, I'm sure you're perfectly capable of finding a fighter that you prefer.

#3 Posted by laser56 (54 posts) -
@Siris:
ok thanks man
#4 Posted by TinoXtreme (300 posts) -
@laser56: Best noob player that is easy to pick up with and can crush people would be Paul. He has some nice mix-up variations and he is just a straight powerhouse.
#5 Edited by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

EDDY GORDO.

However, if you want to get some straight combos going at the right time, I wouuld think about picking Jin. His three hit combos are easy to pull off, and he has a variety of moves which vary as to where they hit.

Of course, you can just choose Yoshimitsu as well-he has attacks like his spinny Crouching kick which is very easy to do and takes away a decent bit. 

Also what this guy says:

@TinoXtreme said:

" @laser56: Best noob player that is easy to pick up with and can crush people would be Paul. He has some nice mix-up variations and he is just a straight powerhouse. "

The great thing about Tekken is that it is relatively easy to pick up and play to other games.
#6 Posted by Disease (59 posts) -

Steve, hwoarang or Baek - you only use two buttons to control them (Steve only uses punches, Hwoarang and Beak use mostly kicks)

#7 Posted by Adamantium (885 posts) -

Paul if you're looking for technical capability with just a smidgen of learning the newer combos/juggles. Hwaorang if you want to button mash your way to victory. Jin or Asuka if you want someone to really practice and get good with, and is capable against pretty much any opponent, using any character.

#8 Posted by FlamingHobo (4482 posts) -

I hate the term 'n00b'.

#9 Posted by nrain (1274 posts) -

Eddy, mash those kicks and he will show you some tricks ;)

#10 Posted by Niccoles (147 posts) -

Eddy is definite fighter of choice.

#11 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

Go with alisa, She is very easy to use, And kicks total arse when you get good,  
Also, Asuka is good, Someone I gravitate towards is Law, He may lose health fast, But he is quick and devastating once you learn his moves.

#12 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

The first character I ever got pretty good with in Tekken was just recently with Lili.  Maybe it's that her style of fighting is more like other fighting games I've played, but I learned her pretty quickly and I can put up a good fight with her.

#13 Posted by MrAwsum (167 posts) -
@FlamingHobo said:
" I hate the term 'n00b'. "
I know Sam, it's those hateful comments about you I'm sure...  
How I wish I could do an emotion thing right now. 
#14 Posted by FlamingHobo (4482 posts) -
@MrAwsum said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
I know Sam, it's those hateful comments about you I'm sure...  How I wish I could do an emotion thing right now.  "
Ah shut it, you n00b.
#15 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Choose any character. They are all very balanced in my opinion.

#16 Posted by Frederik (377 posts) -

Hwaorang has a good range and it doesn't take too much time to get some wicked kick combos going, so he would be my choice.

#17 Posted by roofy (1005 posts) -

Eddy

/thread

#18 Posted by Soap (3575 posts) -
@Frederik said:
" Hwaorang has a good range and it doesn't take too much time to get some wicked kick combos going, so he would be my choice. "
Yeah, Hwaorang is a great starter character, especially when you get those big kick air combos going
#19 Posted by MrAwsum (167 posts) -
@FlamingHobo said:
" @MrAwsum said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
I know Sam, it's those hateful comments about you I'm sure...  How I wish I could do an emotion thing right now.  "
Ah shut it, you n00b. "
Did you just call me n00b, you n00b? 
#20 Posted by Hailinel (24295 posts) -

1.  Buy an arcade stick.
2.  Pick Eddy.
3.  Just play the game by moving toward your opponent and wiping your hand back and forth across the attack buttons.
4.  SUCCESS!!!

Okay, I have no idea how true that is anymore, but Eddy is pretty user-friendly for newcomers.  (Some might say a little too user-friendly.)

#21 Posted by GaspoweR (2942 posts) -

Most characters mentioned are pretty mash friendly, Eddy/Christie being a great example.  Asuka is also a pretty good mash friendly character too. Paul is especially a great all around character if you really want to start learning the game. Personally, Lee Chaolan is also a great starter character as well since its really easy to bring the opponent to a wall due to his 1,2 F combo (thats left punch, right punch, forward in Tekken lingo) . Go into command training and it'll probably show some basic combos at the end of the list. Lastly, out of all the mash friendly character mentioned, Hwoarang is probably the one that requires a lot technique to use proficiently due to his stances.

#22 Posted by Mephiles1990 (32 posts) -

King is pretty easy to pick up and play, with his lengthy standard punch combo, powerful grapples, and some nice surprise moves. So is Bryan, since he has a great defense and plenty of powerful combos and techniques. Jin and Kazuya are probably the most balanced, with some spammable kick combos, decent health and power. 

Kuma's probably the easiest "power" type character to pick up and play since his three-punch combo is rather devastating. Steve Fox is insanely quick if you know how to use his dodge system, and you could probably take out the final boss with him easily if you can dodge right... 

I don't really know. Tekken is a very mash-friendly series, but has a lot of technical stuff under the surface. I say go with Siris, and just play as anyone you can until you find someone you're really good with.

#23 Posted by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -

King probably,and Bryan fury.

#24 Posted by AnnouncerGXZ (702 posts) -
@TinoXtreme said:
" @laser56: Best noob player that is easy to pick up with and can crush people would be Paul. He has some nice mix-up variations and he is just a straight powerhouse. "
i must disagree.

paul is one of the un-friendly characters for newbies to pilot. due to he dont have many tap tap tap tap tap button mash like eddie/hwaorang. yes he is a powerhouse. powerful damage. but ill say a newbie wont have fun playing him. im a paul pilot since 3. i concider myself above average pilotting paul. 

i remember back in tekken tag days my little cousin first play tekken tag and suck at paul but when he play hwrang he is good. cause all he do is tap tap tap. later on he practice countless hours on paul and knows his 10 hits combo and became pretty good.... although i can break/avoid his combo easily haha. 

juggles is where its at. juggles is more important than 10 hit combo.

10 hit combo:
does more damage if all hitted but easily to break/avoid

juggles: 
does less damage but diffiult to avoid and it takes effort to master juggles

easy to pilot for newbies is:
- eddie
- christie
- hwarang
- baek
- alisa
- lili
- lars

thats just some of it. lazy to list. those characters have lot sof tap tap tap tap tap button mash. just do freestyle button mash and you can beat someone.

also tekken 6 new characters tend to to be newbie-friendly..... no need to be an expert to pilot them to win. also overall tekken 6 just feels more easier to pilot compare to tekken 3 and tag. it starts to get friendly-pilot in 5. i guess its for both worlds..... newbie and gurus to enjoy the game with no long practice needed to have fun.

advance characters not friendly for newbies:
- Xiaoyu
- King / Armor
- Paul
#25 Posted by SailorRaine (28 posts) -
@AnnouncerGXZ said:
   advance characters not friendly for newbies: - Xiaoyu - King / Armor- Paul "
Weird.  I think it depends on the person.  I was always naturally good with Paul (even as a newbie) I think it's best to just play and pick whoever interests you, complicated or not. 
#26 Posted by RJMacReady (346 posts) -

I would say Steve or Eddie/Christie. With both you can spam on the buttons and pretty nasty quick stuff comes out. 

If you want a simple character that you actually intend to learn to use rather then just spam, Then perhaps kazuya or paul as they have few moves but they are very effective. I prefer Kaz. paul has a few jsut frames that make some of his repertoire unavailable for new players. But that is the case for some of the most advanced timing combos that all characthers have.

I would not recomend Hwoarang for a begginer spammer because he have moves that cause you to turn your back to your enemy or change stances from righty to lefty. These leave you open to attack. Also his kick spam is very duckable and thus punishable. Hwoarang is one of my favorite charaters though personally.

#27 Posted by Joygirl (9 posts) -

Nobody mentioned Lee? With his infinite rapid-fire taptaptap kicks of doom? My word. And for noobs: ANYONE BUT LEI. Lei is sickeningly hard since you need to know every move from every stance to even play him at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.