Namco Working On Tekken 6 Online Patch

Posted by Jeff (3418 posts) -

If you read yesterday's Tekken 6 review, where I go on for a bit about how the online part of the game falls somewhere between "unpleasant" and "unplayable," then you might be interested in this update. We received this note from the game's publisher today...

Hello,

To improve the online game experience for players of TEKKEN® 6, NAMCO BANDAI Games is developing a downloadable update which will be available as soon as it has passed rigorous testing procedures.

More details regarding the content of the update and the timing of its release will be announced shortly.

This is separate from the online co-op Scenario Campaign mode update which is scheduled for release this winter.

Thanks for playing TEKKEN 6, and keep on fighting.

- NBGA PR

Color me hopeful for the future. Tekken 6 with more functional online is a much more appealing product than what's currently on shelves. We'll let you know if we hear anything more specific.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3418 posts) -

If you read yesterday's Tekken 6 review, where I go on for a bit about how the online part of the game falls somewhere between "unpleasant" and "unplayable," then you might be interested in this update. We received this note from the game's publisher today...

Hello,

To improve the online game experience for players of TEKKEN® 6, NAMCO BANDAI Games is developing a downloadable update which will be available as soon as it has passed rigorous testing procedures.

More details regarding the content of the update and the timing of its release will be announced shortly.

This is separate from the online co-op Scenario Campaign mode update which is scheduled for release this winter.

Thanks for playing TEKKEN 6, and keep on fighting.

- NBGA PR

Color me hopeful for the future. Tekken 6 with more functional online is a much more appealing product than what's currently on shelves. We'll let you know if we hear anything more specific.
Staff
#2 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

That sounds like a step in the right direction for Tekken 6. I may even buy it if they get the net code to the right level.

#3 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -

If the patch was substantial, would the game get re-reviewed? Or, does the site only review the game as is?

#4 Posted by Turtlefuzz (257 posts) -

"Good."

I died of laughter just now.

#5 Posted by Sanj (2352 posts) -

I haven't picked this up yet due to the sucky online, so "good" is really all that is needed to be said of the matter :P

#6 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

Would improved multiplayer be enough to bump it up to 4*?

#7 Posted by Atomic_Tangerine (359 posts) -

I dunno man... Like why wouldn't they work on this stuff BEFORE the game ships?  They couldn't have been suprised.
#8 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -
@Atomic_Tangerine:
The same could be said for Fable 2 and a day one patch. Things work out in a weird ways.
#9 Posted by Ma7moud (805 posts) -

I played over 60 matches online since Tekken 6 was released and very few of them were laggy.

#10 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -
@HypoXenophobia said:
"

If the patch was substantial, would the game get re-reviewed? Or, does the site only review the game as is?

"
This is a question that needs answering. Jeff, I am right outside your house, and I will not hesitate to persuade Vinny to cast Bufu upon you all. Answer this question.
#11 Posted by Siphillis (1290 posts) -
@HypoXenophobia said:
"

"
it's generally not proper etiquette for a critic to re-review a product beyond footnotes or an addendum (see Lair, The Orange Box, Assassin's Creed) unless re-released.
#12 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

Rigorous testing, eh?  Well, if the retail on-shelves product went through rigorous testing as well, then I question this testing!

#13 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -

No one has clarified to me as to how there are mixed comments on the online play...

Some say it's fine, others say it's terrible. Which one is it?

#14 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

I've played over 40 online matches and only one of them have had any noticeable lag at all. 

#15 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Thank God for that. Tekken 6 has the best fighting yet so it was crushing to discover how unplayable the online was. Thankfully I have people to fight offline but still...

#16 Posted by CSXLoser (582 posts) -

i played 4 and they were so bad i left online for good...

tell me when the patch is out.

#17 Posted by Ma7moud (805 posts) -
@HypoXenophobia said:
"

"
Probably the review will remain the same, but there will be a note at the end of the review saying that a TU has been released after the review that fixed the lag issues.
#18 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

Fingers crossed that this addresses the latency issues!

#19 Posted by JJOR64 (18909 posts) -

That's some good news to hear.  :)

#20 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

i am now going to buy this game

#21 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -
@Siphillis:
I don't know, I remember last year when Nick Suttner re-reviewed Socom because the patch was substantial in his opinion that it meritted a re-review. I don't know Jeff or Giantbomb's stance is on patches which is why I asked.
#22 Posted by Davola (8 posts) -

I already decided to pick this up anyways, since i have a group of friends who are into Tekken. But this news is definitely a relief. Maybe Namco isn't so bad all the time.

#23 Posted by ferrarimanf355 (404 posts) -

I didn't get to online playing yet, just going through Scenario Campaign atm. Is online really that bad?

#24 Posted by Tackchevy (261 posts) -

I've clocked over 400 matches online... Jeff's assessment is pretty much the reality; the process goes like this: select your character for online - wait a few seconds while it processes .... then maybe one third of the time you get a network error message and are kicked back to the online lobby. In the event you get paired with someone, there is maybe ten percent chance that there is hardly any noticeable issue with timing lag. The majority of the time the game is just different; playing online does not provide you nearly as much reaction time, and you have to enter combinations sooner to connect. Maybe twenty percent of the time the match will die halfways through. And oh yeah, my personal favorite- when I hit "lucky" to get to the second level of bonus roulette, I get a network error 100% of the time that makes PSN think that I disconnected, so it penalizes my record by taking away the win and marking it as a loss. Thanks.

#25 Posted by Lazyaza (2167 posts) -

This is a sign that the game was rushed to meet a certain release date. I just don't understand why so many devs still don't polish a game properly before it releases. 
Whats the point of trying to sell something early if it means people aren't going to buy it because its a broken piece of shit?   They should have delayed it, fixed the online, then released, wa-bam; better reviews, more sales.

#26 Posted by D3adend (38 posts) -

Weird, the game should have better online stability, as Soul Caliber wasn't bad.  This patch should have also been ready at day 0, as well.

#27 Posted by b_radt007 (25 posts) -

I'm still trading it when Modern Warfare 2 comes out, this is something that should have been fixed before the game shipped.  No excuse.  It was delayed a freaking long time to begin with.  I won't be buying another Tekken game unless it gets godly reviews (and I've bought each one since Tekken 3). 

Scenario Campaign is just not well designed, and the load times were extremely annoying.  Not good enough for me.

#28 Posted by RaikohBlade (593 posts) -
@HypoXenophobia said:
"

"
They shouldn't re-review it. Downloadable updates shouldn't be a crutch for developers to lean on. Get it right at launch. If we praise them for something for fixing a problem that should not have been present from the start, this gives them more leeway to be more lax in the future. Back in the days before downloadable updates, developers were much better about polishing their games, because they couldn't just issue an update to save their sorry asses.
#29 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

So I'll wait...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.