Tekken 6 Impressions

Posted by Skye (411 posts) -

So i just started playing and...this blows. Played some local versus first and that was alright, it was...well...tekken. This part of the game looks alright, but nothing special. It does look better than i iniattly thought it would after reading what some people said. but After that i tried arcade and Scenario mode. is just what you'd expect but the new scenario mode is horrible. It looks horrible, it plays horrible, and as far as i'm aware you have to do it in order to unlock characters for the arena which is (again, as far as i'm aware) the only mode where you get to see the prologue and ending movies.  

The arena also features one of the cheapest bosses around. I'm yet to try the online but my expectations aren't too high.

Maybe the scenario mode will grow on me but at the moment i'm just thankful i rented this rather than buying it straight away. Sucks because i was really looking forward to this.

Other than that i found my copy of Valkyria Chronicles that disappeared a while ago so i've been playing that and some Uncharted 2 multiplayer, both of which  are great. 

#1 Posted by Skye (411 posts) -

So i just started playing and...this blows. Played some local versus first and that was alright, it was...well...tekken. This part of the game looks alright, but nothing special. It does look better than i iniattly thought it would after reading what some people said. but After that i tried arcade and Scenario mode. is just what you'd expect but the new scenario mode is horrible. It looks horrible, it plays horrible, and as far as i'm aware you have to do it in order to unlock characters for the arena which is (again, as far as i'm aware) the only mode where you get to see the prologue and ending movies.  

The arena also features one of the cheapest bosses around. I'm yet to try the online but my expectations aren't too high.

Maybe the scenario mode will grow on me but at the moment i'm just thankful i rented this rather than buying it straight away. Sucks because i was really looking forward to this.

Other than that i found my copy of Valkyria Chronicles that disappeared a while ago so i've been playing that and some Uncharted 2 multiplayer, both of which  are great. 

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (18938 posts) -

Sucks that you are not liking Tekken 6.  I thinking of picking up the game soon since I haven't played Tekken in a long ass time.

#3 Edited by TrashMustache (452 posts) -

that story mode is unacceptably bad looking, this looks like a year one ps2 game ,  it's incredibly frustrating as well with the shitty camera angles and the lock on system,  nothing about this game screams ps3, even the CG movies look terrible, for an 09' release this is an insult,  and the loading times, what the hell? i do like the arcade and the offline modes, they are still very tekken and the fighting is awesome, but Azazel is a shit boss. i have very mixed feelings about this game, i'm utterly dissapointed, i'm having fun with it but an equal amount of frustration as well, i wonder what giantbomb would rate this, i think a 3 out of 5  

EDIT : in the meanwhile i checked out gamespot's review, (8.5/10) they called the scenario campaign 'impressive', that's when i stopped reading, their merit and freedom have been corrupted. but thank god for that or else jeff would not have gotten fired and we would not have had this site, anyways i'm off playing some tekken.
#4 Posted by nrain (1274 posts) -

Core Tekken gameplay is still awesome, the scenario campaign however is horse shit. I'm having a lot of fun learning characters and playing ghosts but it really does suck that all the games content has to be unlocked from scenario camPAIN (you see what I did there? xD) and well not all but it's much easier to do it from campaign

#5 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

From all of the disappointment I've been hearing from hardcore Tekken sites like Tekken Zaibatsu and fans at other gaming sites, I've made the tough decision to pass on purchasing this one. It's a shame that T6 will be the first fighting game for the 360 that I won't be getting as well as the first Tekken ever since the very first that I won't be buying (well aside from DR on PS3, but I have it for PSP). If they polish the online so it's on par with SFIV or BlazBlue, I might reconsider but for now I guess I'll look on the bright side and think of it as $60 saved.

#6 Posted by Skye (411 posts) -
@TrashMustache said:

" that story mode is unacceptably bad looking, this looks like a year one ps2 game ,  it's incredibly frustrating as well with the shitty camera angles and the lock on system,  nothing about this game screams ps3, even the CGI movies look terrible, for an 09' release this is an insult,  i do like the arcade and the offline modes, they are still very tekken and the fighting is awesome, but Azazel is a shit boss. i have very mixed feelings about this game, i'm utterly dissapointed, i'm having fun with it but an equal amount of frustration as well, i wonder what giantbomb would rate this, i think a 3 out of 5  "

Pretty much summed up why i dislike it. Looks awful, terrible camera, terrible lock on system. Even the controls don't seem right to me. In arcade mode the game controls fine but when you take them out of that context they just doesn't work as well as you'd like. If that mode was separate from everything else it wouldn't be so bad, just an extra mode that didn't work out. It's the fact you have to play it in order to unlock and view characters prologue/ending movies. 

Unlocked Jin for the Arena (which consists of a prologue, series of arcade style fights and an ending movie). There was only four fights, one of which was just a cheap boss.

So disappointed =(

Was hoping for tekken 4 with real hd graphics, a good online system and a load of fighters. Instead we got mediocre graphics and a scenario mode that in my humble opinion is worse than the devil within mode.

Probably still worth trying though if you're a fan of the series, arcade and versus are still pretty fun, and i heard some (insane) people are actually enjoying the scenario mode.
#7 Posted by Skye (411 posts) -
@nrain said:
" Core Tekken gameplay is still awesome, the scenario campaign however is horse shit. I'm having a lot of fun learning characters and playing ghosts but it really does suck that all the games content has to be unlocked from scenario camPAIN (you see what I did there? xD) and well not all but it's much easier to do it from campaign "
Exactly, gameplay, versus and arcade are just what you'd want. Can't really ignore the awful scenario mode though because it contains the awesome tekken ending movies and story that you'd be interested in. That's what sucks ass.
#8 Posted by MisterMollusk (399 posts) -

Ok. If I don't mind grinding through a lame scenario mode (made less painful by listening to podcasts while doing it), and I intend to do all of my versus sitting next to my girlfriend, is this game worth picking up? I think the fighting looks really awesome and I haven't played a tekken game since the first when I was little and my mall still had an arcade.

#9 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

I love it so you can eat it XD

#10 Posted by Ashwyn (202 posts) -
@MisterMollusk: 

Honestly the core fighting ( 1 vs 1 ) is awesome and the animations seem to have improved from the last game, just watch out for Azazel >_> so id say yes to picking it up
#11 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

The main fighting modes, arcade, survival and such are all great.  Gameplay is Tekken, graphics are generally good.  Obviously couldn't be done on a previous gen system, but they don't hold up to say, Soul Calibur 4 or Street Fighter 4 overall.

I'm actually liking scenario mode overall.  Something fun about getting new items with stats and going through the areas.  It starts out rough, and gets easier as you play.  Objectively, the gameplay is pretty fucked up though.  Targeting is horrible, camera is shit, obviously you don't have a full move list available.  There's something hypnotizing about the mode though, like a MMO.  When I've beaten the mode I never expect to play it again.  Yea, the graphics aren't great, but they're definitely better than PS2 level still. 

#12 Posted by Skye (411 posts) -
@MisterMollusk said:
" Ok. If I don't mind grinding through a lame scenario mode (made less painful by listening to podcasts while doing it), and I intend to do all of my versus sitting next to my girlfriend, is this game worth picking up? I think the fighting looks really awesome and I haven't played a tekken game since the first when I was little and my mall still had an arcade. "
Seems some people are getting some enjoyment out of the scenario mode. Then there's the arcade mode and at least 40 characters to play it with, a practice mode, versus or online (still havn't tried this so can't comment on lag or the matchmaking) if you don't have anyone to play with so i'd try it out even if you just rent it. It's fairly easy to pick up as well, so not playing the franchise in while shouldn't be a problem. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.