Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tekken Revolution

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jun 11, 2013

Tekken goes back to basics in this free-to-play spin-off of Tekken Tag Tournament 2, exclusive to the PlayStation 3.

Anyone else find the token system to be annoying?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Anyone else find the token system to be annoying? (38 votes)

Yes its very annoying 50%
    Sometimes it can annoy me 21%
    Nope it doesn't annoy me at all. 29%

I can understand why they added the token system, but at the sametime I wish they didn't. It's just annoying when you want to keep playing, but as soon as your tokens is gone you have to wait an hour. It really sucks when your in a player match fighting a group of people, but as soon as your tokens is gone you got to stop playing. Hell you can't even play arcade mode without tokens.

• 
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Pazy

I think its a terrible system. I hate any of this "energy" style F2P so I havent played beyond a single arcade run.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

It works for what they're trying to do. This is basically a Tekken game for people who don't play through Arcade mode twice and then still want to play, or play five or ten online matches and want to keep going. This is for your player who plays his Tekken in short bursts. There's other Tekken games for playing Tekken for hours on end.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

It's basically an annoying Mobile style F2P system that makes it only playable for maybe 30 minutes? On mobile when you are doing it in short bursts it's not that bad and maybe even kinda good.

seriously fighting Games can totally ripp off MOBA f2p models and be GREAT. This is disappointing.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Yadilie

Buy TTT2. It's 30 bucks. It's where all the serious Tekken players are. Problem solved.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just thinking about buying TTT2. Tekken 6 was the last game I played in the series. Though after playing Tekken Revolution, I've been in the mood to play a fighting game in general. For some reason I was thinking of trying Virtual Fighter 5:Final Showdown, but I don't know if alot people still play V5 online.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Nope. Also this is one of the best playing Tekken games. If you use a premium ticket and keep winning you get your ticket back EVERY TIME. That means you could play for hours if you're good enough to keep winning. Seeing as most people online are garbage right now I'm not finding this too hard and I'm an extremely mediocre Asuka player. Yet I'm on nearly a 10 ranked win streak right now. I'll be playing this for as long as there are other people to beat up online.

I just want them to add a training mode so I can properly try to figure out a few good combos for Asuka. Her TTT2 combos don't all work like they should in this game. The invincible moves are fairly interesting and I'm really glad they took out bounding from TTT2 because it was dumb.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Yes, its pretty annoying. But mostly what's annoying for me is no training mode, since Tekken is a very different game from P4A/SSFIV/MK (the games I actually play). Playing through arena is nice, but I'm not the type of person to jump into the online mode without understanding what it is the characters actually do.

Plus it means I only get to try out 2 characters per play session if I want to test them in Arcade mode.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just go ahead and buy TTT2. I got my copy two weeks ago for $20. All the DLC characters, swimsuit and fundoshi outfits are free. Then you can play for as much or as little as you want! Completely worth it.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, its pretty annoying. But mostly what's annoying for me is no training mode, since Tekken is a very different game from P4A/SSFIV/MK (the games I actually play). Playing through arena is nice, but I'm not the type of person to jump into the online mode without understanding what it is the characters actually do.

Plus it means I only get to try out 2 characters per play session if I want to test them in Arcade mode.

You know I was surprised that they didn't have a practice mode. It was weird considering how the other TK games had that mode. The only way I practice in Revolution is by playing arcade mode.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidwitten22 said:

You know I was surprised that they didn't have a practice mode. It was weird considering how the other TK games had that mode. The only way I practice in Revolution is by playing arcade mode.

I would be happy with a practice dummy mode where I can spend all my tokens/tickets or whatever that I have to stay in there indefinitely. I spend more time in my other fighting games in practice mode and challenge mode than I do actually playing with people. I find going in there with a character and pressing all the buttons standing, crouching, jumping, etc. to be an incredibly important part of both learning a character and warming up. But it's free Tekken so I'll be ok with fumbling my way through arcade mode until I start to get it.

Also, you can't block in Tekken right? Do you dodge or something? I looked at controls and there's no block button and holding back didn't work for me. This is why a training or more specifically practice mode would be helpful.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By falserelic

@davidwitten22 said:

@falserelic said:

@davidwitten22 said:

I would be happy with a practice dummy mode where I can spend all my tokens/tickets or whatever that I have to stay in there indefinitely. I spend more time in my other fighting games in practice mode and challenge mode than I do actually playing with people. I find going in there with a character and pressing all the buttons standing, crouching, jumping, etc. to be an incredibly important part of both learning a character and warming up. But it's free Tekken so I'll be ok with fumbling my way through arcade mode until I start to get it.

Also, you can't block in Tekken right? Do you dodge or something? I looked at controls and there's no block button and holding back didn't work for me. This is why a training or more specifically practice mode would be helpful.

For me I do like practicing, but fighting other people helps make me into a better player. Learning new strategies and techniques is always helpful. Btw..you can block in Tekken, just hold the left directional button to whatever direction your facing, to side step double tap up or down. As for dodging it really depends on the character your playing as.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Itwastuesday

This thing is definitely weird, but it's kind of fun to mess around with and steal people's tickets. Also, when my tokens run out, I usually just turn on TTT2. I may have a problem. Can't see myself paying money for anything in this in its current state, but I am very interested in seeing where they go with the updates. They've already teased that they'll patch in Training Mode, and today at E3 Markman said they'd be patching in new stages (the fact that there are not new stages is one of the more disappointing aspects to me, besides the nerfed backdash distance for most characters).

It almost feels incomplete, like they already had this in development when they saw the DOA f2p announcement. Then someone said "If we work right now we can push this thing before DOA comes out, let's release quickly and patch in the missing parts."

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@yadilie said:

Buy TTT2. It's 30 bucks. It's where all the serious Tekken players are. Problem solved.

that is a problem. I am not good enough yet to fight those guys, I remember buying mvc3 and experiencing a number of fun matches. I stopped playing for a while and when I came back, the people who were left made it impossible for me to even throw a punch.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thing is definitely weird, but it's kind of fun to mess around with and steal people's tickets. Also, when my tokens run out, I usually just turn on TTT2. I may have a problem. Can't see myself paying money for anything in this in its current state, but I am very interested in seeing where they go with the updates. They've already teased that they'll patch in Training Mode, and today at E3 Markman said they'd be patching in new stages (the fact that there are not new stages is one of the more disappointing aspects to me, besides the nerfed backdash distance for most characters).

It almost feels incomplete, like they already had this in development when they saw the DOA f2p announcement. Then someone said "If we work right now we can push this thing before DOA comes out, let's release quickly and patch in the missing parts."

Yeah I haven't been sold to buy tokens for it either. I feel like I might aswell get TTT2 instead of keep paying. Especially sense there's not alot of content compared to other TK games. I am interested to see the updates they're bringing. I hope they add in Raven sense he was my main and favorite character.

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yadilie said:

slightly off topic, but...

Can you guys recommend a good fighting game for a newbie? MK? I've tried street fighter but the 1/2 circle 1/4 circle stuff is difficult on a controller. I've also given TTT2 a try and played through all of the combot stuff but i still feel like a scrub :S

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ogred: MK9 is probably the easiest to get into. There's enough single player stuff to go through as well. Persona 4 Arena is fairly newbie friendly too.

Quarter circles and such are easy once you've played for a bit. You can totally play these games with a regular controller.

On Topic. Downloading this now! I'll probably end up getting Tag 2 if I enjoy it.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ogred said:

@yadilie said:

Can you guys recommend a good fighting game for a newbie? MK? I've tried street fighter but the 1/2 circle 1/4 circle stuff is difficult on a controller. I've also given TTT2 a try and played through all of the combot stuff but i still feel like a scrub :S

Developing skills for a fighting game takes time and patience. It doesn't really matter which fighting game you choose. There will always be players that are tough to defeat. Its all about learning new combos and seeing what works best for you.

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petiew said:

@ogred: MK9 is probably the easiest to get into. There's enough single player stuff to go through as well. Persona 4 Arena is fairly newbie friendly too.

Quarter circles and such are easy once you've played for a bit. You can totally play these games with a regular controller.

On Topic. Downloading this now! I'll probably end up getting Tag 2 if I enjoy it.

thanks! i'll definitely give P4A a shot

@ogred said:

@yadilie said:

Developing skills for a fighting game takes time and patience. It doesn't really matter which fighting game you choose. There will always be players that are tough to defeat. Its all about learning new combos and seeing what works best for you.

the thing is...i can't defeat AI opponents in street fighter. Maybe i haven't given it enough time & patience. Is the learning curve for fighting games a lot steeper than others? I feel the hours i've put into playing skullgirls, mortal kombat, ttt2 & street fighter would have shown more progress in other genres. I just think the tutorials for fighting games, like sports games, are very hostile to beginners. They seem to gloss over the basics and throw you into the semi-deep end.

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sunie

I don't really mind this, then again I'm not a hardcore fighting game player. I'm more than happy to run a couple of quick fights a day and leave it at that.

I guess this game isn't made for the hardcore Tekken fan.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ogred said:

@ogred said:

@yadilie said:

the thing is...i can't defeat AI opponents in street fighter. Maybe i haven't given it enough time & patience. Is the learning curve for fighting games a lot steeper than others? I feel the hours i've put into playing skullgirls, mortal kombat, ttt2 & street fighter would have shown more progress in other genres. I just think the tutorials for fighting games, like sports games, are very hostile to beginners. They seem to gloss over the basics and throw you into the semi-deep end.

Every fighting game is different. They all have a certain learning curve, and some fighting games are more difficult then others. Besides don't feel to bad about Tekken. It took me sometime to develop skills with certain characters. I use to practice alot, and watch youtube vids on how to pull off certain combos. I would train for about an hour or two then face off online. Afterwards if I've gotten my ass kicked in a match. I start to think of ways to improve my flaws, and find new combos to pull off.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By falserelic

Well I just bought TTT 2. I've finally lost my patience for revolution. Now its time for me to practice up with Raven and Steve.

Avatar image for deactivated-57f027c6197c3
    deactivated-57f027c6197c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's be honest here, this is clearly an experiment, just look at the stripped out features and reused TTT2 assets.

But I'm going to echo Harada's own comments, that putting characters in a fighting game behind paywalls is bad for balance and gameplay. Each character has nuances not only to play as, but to play against aswell, so to be any good at fighting games where it matters, in other words against real people, you have to know what they'll do. Paying for match tokens, which provide a benefit if you win or lose, makes more sense to be. But then again playing fighting games online for long periods of time only makes sense if you're really really REALLY good or you're playing with friends casually, which is clearly not the goal here.

I'm more surprised they didn't character customization and costumes to sell, it makes way more sense then either paying for online tokens or characters, though with how much they botched customizing in TTT2 I'm kind of glad that's not a system you could spend money on.

Plus it has loads of dumb dubstep, for free, how can you complain?

Also there is (kind of) practice mode, when you wait for matches online there's a basically brain dead bot to practice with and if you're coming into this and you need to look up moves you got no chance or ever winning.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing TTT2 for sometime now and I'm having a blast. Feels good to keep playing without no restrictions. So far I got 31 wins and 20 loses. It felt natural when I started playing as Raven again. For the first few matches I've fought solo against two characters online, until the more tougher TK players showed up and spamed me, but its all good I love the thrill of the battle.

Customization so far in TTT2 doesn't seem as good as TK6, but I like the huge amount of characters in the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.