Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Sep 11, 2011

Tekken's tag-team spin-off returns for its second round, building on the game engine of Tekken 6 with a whopping 44-character roster (later updated to 59).

Tekken hybrid - thoughts on Tekken tag 2 after the quick look

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 20

Edited By Mikey2D

Tekken is my favourite fighting game franchise. In my opinion it offers the greatest fighting experience. It rewards skill and technique – not to say that other fighting franchises don’t, I’ve just never found myself able to connect with Street Fighter the same way as I have The King of Iron Fist.

Having watched the recently posted quick look of Tekken Hybrid. Which offered some insight into Tekken Tag tournament 2. I decided to write down a few of my thoughts.

Overall – before we get down to the nitty gritty – I’ll be buying Tag 2, day one. It looks sharp, fast and responsive and even if at first I was a little sceptical about the ‘wah wah wah wah’ dubstep that seems to be the stage music for one of the stages, it actually grew on me when the violins kicked in.

One thing that slightly concerns me – sure its aesthetic – but what’s going on with the super demon men formally known as Kazuya and Jin? Further more the worry continues when I see the devil Kazuya is simply called ‘Kazuya’ to suggest this is his base character and we won’t get a human form? Obviously this is just speculation on my part as I’m just going on what was seen in the quick look, but I do hope we get Kazuya in human form. In contrast – notice how the big ol’ devil Jin is actually called ‘Devil Jin’ to suggest – as has happened in previous games – that we’ll be getting a regular ‘Jin’ also.

Game play wise – I’m happy, the game looks as quick as it was in Tekken 6. I’m hopefully for the return of some of my favourite characters such as Bruce and Lee and it’s probably a safe bet this will happen – the previous tag had all if not nearly all the characters up to that point. Would anyone be excited for the potential return of kunimitsu?

I see that back problems still plague the fighters of Tekken as they fall. And I’m not entirely sure how I feel about the “Uuurgh” slow motion KO noises of the final blow in the quick replies at the end of a round. It sounds almost comical – but again – just a small gripe.

All in all – I might pick up hybrid, as I’d like to see the movie. The demo along with the original Tekken tag HD would both just be a bonus. I’m excited for Tekken tag 2 in the future. It looks set to be another great addition to the series.

How were others finding the quick look? Any observations good or bad that you want to share?

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Mikey2D

Tekken is my favourite fighting game franchise. In my opinion it offers the greatest fighting experience. It rewards skill and technique – not to say that other fighting franchises don’t, I’ve just never found myself able to connect with Street Fighter the same way as I have The King of Iron Fist.

Having watched the recently posted quick look of Tekken Hybrid. Which offered some insight into Tekken Tag tournament 2. I decided to write down a few of my thoughts.

Overall – before we get down to the nitty gritty – I’ll be buying Tag 2, day one. It looks sharp, fast and responsive and even if at first I was a little sceptical about the ‘wah wah wah wah’ dubstep that seems to be the stage music for one of the stages, it actually grew on me when the violins kicked in.

One thing that slightly concerns me – sure its aesthetic – but what’s going on with the super demon men formally known as Kazuya and Jin? Further more the worry continues when I see the devil Kazuya is simply called ‘Kazuya’ to suggest this is his base character and we won’t get a human form? Obviously this is just speculation on my part as I’m just going on what was seen in the quick look, but I do hope we get Kazuya in human form. In contrast – notice how the big ol’ devil Jin is actually called ‘Devil Jin’ to suggest – as has happened in previous games – that we’ll be getting a regular ‘Jin’ also.

Game play wise – I’m happy, the game looks as quick as it was in Tekken 6. I’m hopefully for the return of some of my favourite characters such as Bruce and Lee and it’s probably a safe bet this will happen – the previous tag had all if not nearly all the characters up to that point. Would anyone be excited for the potential return of kunimitsu?

I see that back problems still plague the fighters of Tekken as they fall. And I’m not entirely sure how I feel about the “Uuurgh” slow motion KO noises of the final blow in the quick replies at the end of a round. It sounds almost comical – but again – just a small gripe.

All in all – I might pick up hybrid, as I’d like to see the movie. The demo along with the original Tekken tag HD would both just be a bonus. I’m excited for Tekken tag 2 in the future. It looks set to be another great addition to the series.

How were others finding the quick look? Any observations good or bad that you want to share?

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By jkuc316

Them lasers seem overpowered, Damaging roughly a quarter of the lifebar.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Don't worry, those designs come only from the Tekken CGI movie that's included in Hybrid. There is definitely a regular Kazuya and a regular Jin.

No Caption Provided
    Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mikey2D

@Sanj said:

Don't worry, those designs come only from the Tekken CGI movie that's included in Hybrid. There is definitely a regular Kazuya and a regular Jin.

No Caption Provided

Awesome - thanks for letting me know Sanj :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.