What the hell is happening with this game?

#1 Posted by AngeTheDude (651 posts) -

Street Fight X Tekken is getting a bit of hype while I've heard NOTHING about this game AT ALL.

Is this still being made? I prefer the Tekken style of gameplay and I was hoping this game would be a shot in the arm the Tekken franchise needs right now.

#2 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Eh, I think they made a deal with Capcom to not release it until SFXT had ran out of steam, so I'm guessing it wasn't put high on the priority list and they went to work on Tag 2 and the HD remake and what not. There have been a few clips of it that shows how Ryu and a Shoryuken looks in the Tekken engine, but that's about it. I'd expect to hear more of it either at E3 or TGS.

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10552 posts) -

Once Street Fighter vs. X Tekken is out, I'm sure they'll start talking about Tekken vs. X Street Fighter.

And maybe once that's out Capcom will start considering Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter. Oh, who am I kidding? They don't care.

#4 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -

I think they're still busy with TTT2 console version, but they did say there will be character customization and have fans vote on the roster recently

#5 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

@AngeTheDude: They've always said that they were a long time (I believe years) from even talking about Tekken x SF. I figured was little more than ideas on a sheet of paper and wouldn't actually go into real deal production until Soul Calibur 5 and Tekken Tag 2 had been released.

#6 Posted by Shakezula84 (443 posts) -

I thought it was part of the deal. Well see SF X T well before T X SF. Which is a shame because my wife loves Tekken and is excited for the Tekken version of the game.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (23967 posts) -

Tekken X Street Fighter is coming, but Namco has been silent on it presumably so that they wouldn't step on Capcom's toes in promoting Street Fighter X Tekken. Namco has also got a number of other fighting games that have either been recently released, like Soul Calibur V and Tekken 3DS, or still to come, like Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

#8 Posted by mrburger (100 posts) -

It makes good business sense not to promote it quite yet. Just watch and wait a few months. I predict a cinematic trailer in mid-late summer teasing an ambiguous 2013 release.

#9 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

E3...

#10 Posted by cloudyimpulse (212 posts) -

E3...

Kind of bummed out that nothing has shown up in regards to this game in regards to E3. Also depressing to see not much going on in this board. Guess people have completely forgotten about it or don't care.

#11 Edited by Itwastuesday (938 posts) -

@cloudyimpulse: There's not really much to discuss, I think. It's definitely either cancelled or on hiatus. Personally, I'm a little disappointed, I was hoping that Namco would use this as a way to experiment with some new systems that they could potentially grandfather into future Tekken games (without people complaining about how different it was from older Tekkens). Well, at least it seems like the status of TxSF hasn't exactly stopped Namco from experimenting.

#12 Posted by Hunter5024 (5555 posts) -

They shouldn't have gone second. That left them in the uncomfortable position of following up a mediocre game, even though they're less popular. Really kind of a shame, because I really dig Namco's games, and I would be interested to see this, but I think Capcom kind of messed it up by delivering a middling product. Although I suppose that's to be expected from a crossover. They're gimmicks, and people shouldn't get their hopes up for them.

Anyways I wouldn't say hope is entirely dead, maybe they're just trying to give themselves long enough that they can treat it as a follow up instead of one half of a whole. Distance themselves from the first game a little bit. Namco released games in both of their main fighting franchises last year, and those teams must be working on something new now. I imagine Tekken Revolution had a whole lot of reused assets, so that doesn't really account for what they've been up to.

#13 Posted by BisonHero (6235 posts) -

Tekken Tag 2 came out a while ago. If a Tekken X Street Fighter trailer was going to appear, it should've done so by E3. Who knows, maybe the TxSF team is instead working on Smash Bros. or something.

#14 Edited by cloudyimpulse (212 posts) -

@itwastuesday said:

@cloudyimpulse: There's not really much to discuss, I think. It's definitely either cancelled or on hiatus. Personally, I'm a little disappointed, I was hoping that Namco would use this as a way to experiment with some new systems that they could potentially grandfather into future Tekken games (without people complaining about how different it was from older Tekkens). Well, at least it seems like the status of TxSF hasn't exactly stopped Namco from experimenting.

It's just a real downer because when they announced these two games, the Tekken styled version is the one I was most interested in as I was really curious how they were going to handle all the street fighter characters (design, play style, etc...). I know they had shown those concept images of Ryu, but they had even noted that it was quickly thrown together. Now I just throw out a google search every once in awhile just to see if anything is out there still. E3 has come and gone and now I just imagine what could be going on. Oh wells.

Also tried Tekken Revolution and not digging this free to play whatever experiment they did.

#15 Edited by Catarrhal (820 posts) -

As far as anybody actually knows and can prove, Namco has not even begun work on this.

#16 Posted by GIyn (202 posts) -

They have the license for potentially one of the most interesting fighting games to every come out. Street fighter AND Tekken. It will be released in the new generation with far superior graphics and a few other new multiplayer systems.

#17 Edited by AngeTheDude (651 posts) -

I'm pretty sure this is dead. It's been so long and since Capcom blew it with the first game interest has completely died for this.

#18 Posted by Damodar (1303 posts) -

I'm pretty sure this is dead. It's been so long and since Capcom blew it with the first game interest has completely died for this.

I don't know why you're saying that, we just had official confirmation in this thread that it "will be released in the new generation with far superior graphics and a few other new multiplayer systems."

But yeah, I was kinda hoping it would at least get some acknowledgement at E3. I actually think where Street Fighter X Tekken is at at the moment, it's a great game. It started with a lot of problems, but also a lot of promise. Unfortunately, I think they'd basically already used up their goodwill before it got to the point it's at now so nobody wants to give it a proper chance :( But either way it's basically a double bummer that SFxT burned some bridges, since it basically killed a lot of interest in one game and possibly/probably put the kibosh on another. I was really excited about the idea of seeing those Street Fighter characters in a drastically different system/setting etc too. Oh well, guess I'll keep playing TTT2.

#19 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@angethedude: No, it's not dead, they are just thinking of switching it over to the PS4 instead. Katsuhiro Harada said on twitter that they are "changing & considering platform strategy".

#20 Edited by kagato (898 posts) -

I doubt we will see this game until next E3 or TGS 2014 on the new consoles, id rather they take the time and make it worth the wait, whilst i enjoyed Streetfighter X Tekken i tired of it way quicker than i thought i would even with the dlc fighters. I hope Namco do a better job of it...

#21 Posted by cloudyimpulse (212 posts) -

Just post me some more concept images, videos or something. That's all I want. Feed this baby bird. Let me know you're out there still. Considering a change in platform doesn't make me feel any better this is actually happening.

#22 Edited by cloudyimpulse (212 posts) -

And nothing at Evo 2013 announced. Arghhhh.

#23 Edited by stubbleman (306 posts) -

I don't get all this nonsense talk about 'not stepping on Capcom's toes, as though a Tekken game ever threatened to take sales away from a Capcom fighter. And it just wouldn't make sense to put that game on the PS3/360 at this point. I'm sure they've got their hands full messing around with Tekken Revolution at this point anyway.

#24 Posted by MocBucket62 (1159 posts) -

I'm not sure if this game will see the day of light. After the poor sales of Street Fighter X Tekken, I don't think Namco will have the confidence to release it, or even develop the game.

#25 Posted by kishinfoulux (2256 posts) -

Seeing as how Street X Tekken didn't exactly light the world on fire, and Tekken is the major franchise it once was I feel pretty confident in saying it's dead.

Shame because I really wanted to see how they'd adapt the Street Fighter cast to a Tekken style move set.

#27 Posted by Hunter5024 (5555 posts) -
#28 Posted by cloudyimpulse (212 posts) -

@cloudyimpulse: Cool. Thanks.

I was hoping for a tiny nugget. Just show me a pixel of a characters foot or something. Man do I wish this game was coming out soon. So want to see how this plays out.

#29 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6187 posts) -

It's good that it's still alive so it's something to look out for during Tekken's 20th anniversary next year. Man I am still wondering how bound moves will act with SF characters.

#30 Edited by cloudyimpulse (212 posts) -

I thought this was interesting from Tekken Revolution. They added a new character that basically had a projectile. They show it in action and worked into a combo. Maybe hints of how things could work in this game by putting it in this game?

COME ON TEKKEN X STREET FIGHTER!!!

At the very least we know what Terry Bogard's Power Wave would look like if Namco made it.

#31 Posted by StarvingGamer (8032 posts) -

@cloudyimpulse: Oh god that's the character from that poll they did where a salmon was an option? Narcoleptic vampire?

#32 Posted by cloudyimpulse (212 posts) -

@cloudyimpulse: Oh god that's the character from that poll they did where a salmon was an option? Narcoleptic vampire?

I didn't even know there was a poll for character options. Now I have to go look up this salmon character. Tekken is weird.

#33 Posted by AMyggen (2607 posts) -

Tekken x Street Fighter has to be dead at this point, right?

#34 Posted by Hailinel (23967 posts) -

I like her! She looks like she's got a really interesting fighting style that sets her apart from the other fighters. Her being a narcoleptic vampire just seems to fit into that Tekken brand of crazy.

#35 Posted by Damodar (1303 posts) -

@cloudyimpulse: And it wouldn't be the first projectile in Tekken. Jinpachi can shoot a fireball out of his chest!

Personally, I hope this game still happens. I really desperately want to see Street Fighter characters as imagined by Harada and his team. It's probably not looking good though. SFxT ended up getting such a bad rep and I don't think Tekken Tag 2 did terribly well for Namco, both of which are a massive shame.

#36 Posted by Hunter5024 (5555 posts) -

I would be really interested to see if that Eliza girl becomes a character in proper Tekken.

#38 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2990 posts) -

errrrrr maybe ? softpedia (you really should never go there) quotes VG247, and you probably shouldn't go there either.

I always thought they'd have a super hard time translating SF characters to Tekken, so who knows, maybe just took longer to get done than expected.

Then again...

Tekken doesn't feel like it's a draw like it used to be and I don't see SF players being into Tekken, though playing as the characters they love might change that.

#39 Posted by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

I always thought after SF vs T did not light the world on fire, they quietly canned T vs SF.

#40 Posted by cloudymusic (1059 posts) -
#41 Edited by RazielCuts (2940 posts) -

How successful has Tekken Revolution been for Namco anyway? And why have they never done a Tekken Vs Soul Calibur crossover? I know the balance for the weapons would be a bit weird but they own both those IP and wouldn't have to mess around with an outside entity. I wonder if they have an obligation/contract to make a Tekken Vs SF because Capcom came through with their end of things.

#42 Posted by MightyDuck (1509 posts) -

I always thought after SF vs T did not light the world on fire, they quietly canned T vs SF.

That's what I assumed as well.

#43 Posted by cloudyimpulse (212 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.