Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tekken

Franchise »

Tekken is a long-running 3D fighting franchise that got its start in arcades but was also an early hit on the PlayStation.

You Should Read This Rant By a Tekken Producer

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By JTB123

I really like it when developers speak out like this and put ignorant people in their place, it should happen more often.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52  Edited By OneManX

He just hit 'em with that up-back DORIYA~!

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By probablytuna

If fans are allowed to rant, why can't the developers?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By 20183242

There are still people who take Tekken this seriously? Shouldn't this guy just be happy that he's had a job in the industry for nearly two decades when other parts of the industry are facing financial ruin and claims of alleged gross mismanagement?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The customer is always right. Even when they're wrong. Especially when they're wrong.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#56  Edited By DarkbeatDK

I think it's fair enough. It's his game, his production, he is the creative force behind it. He can do whatever he wants with it.

I think game creators needlessly jump through hoops to please the masses. Not everyone will like the stuff you do every time, so just deal with it... You're an artist!

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By C2C

Wow, that Brian laugh is 16 years old now. Goddamn I feel old as fuck now.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By GaspoweR

Harada-san has been known to speak his mind and man he had to deal with A LOT of fan these fan requests especially on Twitter. Im glad that both him and Ono actually run their own Twitter accounts.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#59  Edited By korolev

Making games is hard. Extremely hard. Even making a bad game is hard. I had to make a game for my 9th grade IT class (this was back in 2001) - and I settled on making a simple maze game and by god that wasn't easy.

Yes, it's very easy for fans to demand X or Y or Z, without knowing a lick of programming, deadlines, resources, budgets, business and management. It's very easy to demand - not so easy to create, and I just hope video game players realize that. I certainly do. And while that's not an excuse for bad games, it is a point that needs to be stressed - this is hard stuff. This isn't easy. Making a video game isn't a simple matter of waving your hands. Content isn't magically created on a whim. Developers often DO NOT have total freedom to do whatever it is they want, and often fan demands are unreasonable given the budget of games.

Again - video game development being hard does not excuse bad games - I mean, being a surgeon is hard, but that's hardly a defense against medical negligence. But realize that programmers and developers can't bend to your every wish and that for every single thing a fan asks for, money, work and time are needed to make it happen and all of those things are finite resources (actually time might not be, but since a human life is limited, it's a finite resource for humans).

ogg25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By ogg25

Bring back the old I love monday's song.

:D just bugging

Avatar image for legendarychopchop
    LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great.

Garnavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Garnavis

I love it.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Itwastuesday

@murse2008 said:

He is just tired from making the same game over and over again for the last two decades. I would be too.

I'm not sure about that. Other than dealing with angry fans on twitter, he seems to take his position as Tekken director in stride. He's in charge of the best selling worldwide fighting game franchise ever. Don't you think he could find a new position if he wanted to?

kwang2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By kwang2000

@EquitasInvictus: The game development industry really sounds like the place where dreams go to die, what with the stories of crazy work hours, withheld royalties, mass layoffs, and fans who demand things rather than appreciate your work

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The thing that scares me about wanting to write games (and I do) is that I'll grow to dislike the very audience I'm supposedly attempting to entertain. I don't know how comics go on stage and try to entertain people who they hate the shit out of. I guess you just have to hope there's a couple people out there who really do enjoy whatever it is you're doing.

That's what I wonder about with BioWare; how do they keep making stuff without being angry and vindictive? No matter what Casey Hudson's next project is, no matter what the first trailer for Dragon Age 3 is like, no matter what they say or even the quality of the game; people are going to be fucking furious, all of them time. Why bother at that point? Why even worry about what they think, you might as well just put out a Call of Duty clone and have job security.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By Steve_C

That is brilliant.

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Ghostin

@AngelN7 said:

@Ghostin said:

Can we go back to the days when game makers didn't have voice.

Can we go back to the days the likes of you didn't have a voice?

Really? You think this type of rant actually stops the comments he recieves, or makes the games better? Give me the days when a developer had no line of communication with us at all other than the games they make any day. I wasn't rude about him, I actually see what he is saying... I just can't see the point in saying it. You however, are rude.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By renmckormack

BRING BACK TEKKEN BALL!!!!!!

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#69  Edited By cornbredx

This is a very professionally put "rant." I support this kind of talk to the idiots that are so prevalent in this world. People act like they only exist on the internet- but they don't.

I only hope he doesn't get flack for speaking his mind- he did so with the up-most respect (more then those he's speaking to probably deserve) and has nothing to apologize for. More people (professionally) should be able to speak their mind this way.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#70  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

So, instead of calmly explaining all of this by starting off with "To all our loyal Tekken fans" he basically started it off with "To all you clueless fucking whining little children."

Tone says a lot.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#71  Edited By spiceninja

@Brodehouse said:

The thing that scares me about wanting to write games (and I do) is that I'll grow to dislike the very audience I'm supposedly attempting to entertain. I don't know how comics go on stage and try to entertain people who they hate the shit out of. I guess you just have to hope there's a couple people out there who really do enjoy whatever it is you're doing.

That's what I wonder about with BioWare; how do they keep making stuff without being angry and vindictive? No matter what Casey Hudson's next project is, no matter what the first trailer for Dragon Age 3 is like, no matter what they say or even the quality of the game; people are going to be fucking furious, all of them time. Why bother at that point? Why even worry about what they think, you might as well just put out a Call of Duty clone and have job security.

The thing is, this whole Mass Effect 3 thing isn't a big of a deal as it's being made out to be. The people complaining are the vocal minority. The vast majority of people either liked the ending or didn't really care, it's just that we don't go to YouTube or forums and scream about how much we were ok with it.

Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Wolls

Thank god someone stood up to those "fans". Just hope some of them can understand what he is talking about and respect him for saying it

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By xbob42

@MattyFTM said:

The customer is always right. Even when they're wrong. Especially when they're wrong.

Exactly. It's not Joe McTwitter's problem that he can't get the voice actor or that their voice changed. There is what the consumer wants, and there is what the consumer does not want. Anything else, to that consumer (The one who keeps the company alive.) is just excuses.

It's unfair and unfun and all that good stuff, but that's how it works.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74  Edited By The_Nubster

@DrRandle said:

That last line is completely believable, Patrick. Your attitude towards it, however, is not.

I thought the rest of the rant was pretty well-reasoned, but that last line is just as childish as the people he's specifically talking to. "Listen, or don't, I don't care," is a pathetic way to close out an argument or solidify a point, and it undermines the rest of the text.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#75  Edited By Enigma777

Love it

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By LikeaSsur

I wish more developers spoke their mind freely.

"The thing is, this whole Mass Effect 3 thing isn't a big of a deal as it's being made out to be. The people complaining are the vocal minority."

A vocal minority does not prompt a company to make DLC exclusive to their needs.

Toug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#77  Edited By Toug

GOD that must have been cathartic to write. I vicariously feel better just reading that.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#78  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@murse2008 said:

He is just tired from making the same game over and over again for the last two decades. I would be too.

You have a Street Fighter IV avatar.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#79  Edited By MightyDuck

Good for him to take a stand. I can't even imagine what it's like to deal with countless idiots making demands about games. If the game is enjoyable, that's what matters to me. I'm all for nostalgia, but realize not everything is possible.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By renmckormack

The sad thing is is that Harada's detailed smart response will only encourage the internet people to harangue him more.

Don't feed the trolls.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Winternet

That was awesome. That last line is beautiful. It must be archived for posterity's sake.

Saganomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Saganomics

@musicman1024 said:

I don't understand the consumer's need to control everything that comes their way. I personally look forward to anything new from games, music, books, etc. Will I like the directions some writers/game designers/musicians take their new creative endeavors to? Not always, there's certainly been times where my favorite musicians do a complete 180, and I find myself not so impressed, but the consumer should ALWAYS respect the creator's ability to create. The product they make is a reflection of what they want to share with the world, what they have spent weeks and months pouring over. I hold endless respect for people who can create on such an incredible level, and any consumer should as well. There should never be cries for changes to the way something is produced, but a level of respect for these people being gracious enough to take the time to bring their vision to life and share it with the world.

People are well within their rights to call out terrible art for being terrible, regardless of how much of the artist's heart and soul has been poured into it. You don't get an automatic A for effort. Any creative type worth their salt should be prepared for someone to hate on whatever they have made, often times for legitimate reasons.

I do, however, agree with you about this notion a lot of gamers have about every aspect of a game being tailor-made to withstand their ridiculous, spergy over-analysis. For how frequently gamers wail about these shitty time wasters being a valid form of art (and how dare Ebert say anything to the contrary), they seem incapable of acknowledging that the artist's vision is their vision, and sometimes the resulting piece of art will make the observer feel something a little more challenging/uncomfortable than a general sense of good vibes, punctuated by the occasional mumbling of "That was a pretty sick cutscene".

Props to this dude for calling out the idiocy of people pissing and moaning about the voice acting in a goddamned fighting game.

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#83  Edited By mbr2

@xbob42 said:

@MattyFTM said:

Exactly. It's not Joe McTwitter's problem that he can't get the voice actor or that their voice changed. There is what the consumer wants, and there is what the consumer does not want. Anything else, to that consumer (The one who keeps the company alive.) is just excuses.

Don't post before reading.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#84  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Harada did the voice for Law? Huh.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By MeierTheRed

Thats the best thing i have read today, more power to that gu. And fuck video game fans who think they are entitled to everything "they" want. Needy little bastards.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AngelN7 said:

@Ghostin said:

Agreed.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#87  Edited By AngelN7

@Ghostin said:

@AngelN7 said:

@Ghostin said:

Really? You think this type of rant actually stops the comments he recieves, or makes the games better? Give me the days when a developer had no line of communication with us at all other than the games they make any day. I wasn't rude about him, I actually see what he is saying... I just can't see the point in saying it. You however, are rude.

Rant? I'm sorry but rant this one is not , a rant is when you complain on something with little bases and your argument is everything but compeling, what Harada did was provide infomation on the hard voice recording process (as we can see there are many factors like technology and the actors involved that make it a really hard almost unattainable thing to deliver perfectly ) to the uniformed gamers that do nothing but complain on the minor things, oh so can't see the point in stating that sometimes is really hard to please fan requests and that they should at least be reasonable about what the product is trying to deliver but they (developers) need to take all that crap because you don't want to hear what they're saying?, how is that fair? you get to demand but you're not willing to listen when you're being unreasonable?, totally not rude at all right?

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#88  Edited By striderno9

Oh what a rant. I agree 100%

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Man, what a badass.

originalgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#90  Edited By originalgman

Japanese producers and game developers growing a pair and telling the vocal minority to cram it, instead of just endlessly apologizing. I approve.

Saganomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Saganomics

@Ghostin said:

@AngelN7 said:

@Ghostin said:

Yeah, god forbid we be reminded that these are actual human beings making this entertainment that we pick apart.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By xbob42

@mbr2 said:

@xbob42 said:

@MattyFTM said:

Don't post before reading.

I read it just fine, thanks. That's how I like, referenced shit the article was talking about. Dude's upset because people don't understand that shit changes over time. However, that is his problem, not the problem of the consumer.

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By galacticgravy

I love this a lot.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Fearbeard

Whatever

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By cikame

One thing should be noted here, he definately cares alot about his series.
    I'm almost certain developers of all companies have bad things to say about their fans, you sign up to perform a job you enjoy not always prepared for the intense critical response from everyone on the internet, ranting is a good way to let off steam i'm sure he feels better for it.

Also, "Tekken may be less relevant these days", go bury yourself. Judging by your reaction every time Tekken is brought up i'm almost sure you posted this 'news' with ill intent Patrick.

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Ghostin

@AngelN7: Rant was used simply to mirror the headline. I feel the same about nearly all commentary by any developer, they should do their talking with their games.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Leptok

Thanks for understanding or not understanding. Whatever. 

Lol thats a great line.

AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By AxleBro

i like this guy, i would buy him a beer, the "old school" fans of any game seem to only bitch about things from the old games being changed, i'm guilty of this too, change can be good. lets stop being dicks about it.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Efesell

I love when developers get catty.

Too often they seem like robots, probably because it's generally a bad idea to go after your fans with a verbal baseball bat but man it's nice when it happens.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Maajin

He might have just sold me Tekken. Any Tekken.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.