I played some Tera today.

Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

After a good 6 and a half hours with the Tera beta, I can safely say, its an MMO.

The combat is better then, say, World of Warcraft or SWTOR, where you only press buttons, introducing a more interactive experience by allowing the mapping of moves to the mouse buttons and having to aim your shots, but it has a very spammy feeling to it, where you find yourself hitting the left mouse button so many times you think you're going to get carpal tunnel. And from my time with the different classes, there wasn't that many different moves, maybe later on, but at low levels they all seemed to have the same kinds of moves, just they flashed different colors.

The quests are the usual "Go get me 18 bear arses" and you'll find yourself turning in a quest about killing ents, only to have a new one given to you where they want you to go get some ent claws, which of course means you have to kill more ents. The mobs are almost all the same throughout the area, just with a different tint and an adjective added to their names. This isn't new for MMOs, but seriously, you can't create more than 5 mobs for the starter area, the first thing everyone is going to see?

The graphics looked really nice and the character models looked really well done, though I'm not sure if it was a problem with my computer or the game, but there was some very clear texture pop-in on many occasions. The animations were strange sometimes, very fluid and solidly done, but the females ran with their arses in the air all the time and constantly moved their hips when in combat mode, I know this is intentional, but kind of off-putting.

And the clothes, oh the clothes, so very well crafted and put together, and so extremely revealing too. Have fun trying to find an outfit that didn't show off your female's underpants, and in the case of some of the more exotic species, had any sort of pants at all. I tried out most of the races, including the Baracka (big golem looking dudes) the Popori (fat little animal dudes) and the Aman ( reptile-dinosaur looking dudes) and many of their outfits had no pants at all, you could just see their crotch clear as day, sure there aren't any dangley bits, but once again, its very strange to look at.

All in all, it was a fairly average experiance for me, with some cool things, but many stale ones. The Beta isn't done until monday, so I'll keep playing a bit later, since I know that 6 hours isn't really a full MMO experiance, but for the most part, I think that Tera will get a farily big release audiance and then get forgotten by most, the way Rift and DCUO did, eventually going F2P in a year.

TL;DR: Spammy combat, generic quests, texture pop-in, hip swaying and pants-less outfits.

#1 Edited by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

After a good 6 and a half hours with the Tera beta, I can safely say, its an MMO.

The combat is better then, say, World of Warcraft or SWTOR, where you only press buttons, introducing a more interactive experience by allowing the mapping of moves to the mouse buttons and having to aim your shots, but it has a very spammy feeling to it, where you find yourself hitting the left mouse button so many times you think you're going to get carpal tunnel. And from my time with the different classes, there wasn't that many different moves, maybe later on, but at low levels they all seemed to have the same kinds of moves, just they flashed different colors.

The quests are the usual "Go get me 18 bear arses" and you'll find yourself turning in a quest about killing ents, only to have a new one given to you where they want you to go get some ent claws, which of course means you have to kill more ents. The mobs are almost all the same throughout the area, just with a different tint and an adjective added to their names. This isn't new for MMOs, but seriously, you can't create more than 5 mobs for the starter area, the first thing everyone is going to see?

The graphics looked really nice and the character models looked really well done, though I'm not sure if it was a problem with my computer or the game, but there was some very clear texture pop-in on many occasions. The animations were strange sometimes, very fluid and solidly done, but the females ran with their arses in the air all the time and constantly moved their hips when in combat mode, I know this is intentional, but kind of off-putting.

And the clothes, oh the clothes, so very well crafted and put together, and so extremely revealing too. Have fun trying to find an outfit that didn't show off your female's underpants, and in the case of some of the more exotic species, had any sort of pants at all. I tried out most of the races, including the Baracka (big golem looking dudes) the Popori (fat little animal dudes) and the Aman ( reptile-dinosaur looking dudes) and many of their outfits had no pants at all, you could just see their crotch clear as day, sure there aren't any dangley bits, but once again, its very strange to look at.

All in all, it was a fairly average experiance for me, with some cool things, but many stale ones. The Beta isn't done until monday, so I'll keep playing a bit later, since I know that 6 hours isn't really a full MMO experiance, but for the most part, I think that Tera will get a farily big release audiance and then get forgotten by most, the way Rift and DCUO did, eventually going F2P in a year.

TL;DR: Spammy combat, generic quests, texture pop-in, hip swaying and pants-less outfits.

#2 Posted by Enns (360 posts) -

I was pretty curious about Tera. I've somehow ended up in a habit of playing MMOs for a week and moving on to another. I don't even know why honestly.. I even go to MMO news sites trying to read up on them but they kill my soul. Anyway I can pass on Tera after reading up your post. These days I never feel good about paying money for MMOs, at least when they're asking 50$ for one.

#3 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Sounds korean!

#4 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

Sounds like an MMO.

#5 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

Thanks for the info. I was interested in this (I am in most MMOs by default) but never could put my finger on what was supposed to be different about TERA. Now I see what all the hype is about: Nothing.

#6 Posted by subyman (621 posts) -

I wish I could find a new mmo that offered something different. The combat sounds fun, but at the end of the day I'm collecting ten of this or running across the world to click through boring text. I was a hardcore player, starting with EQ and moving to UO, Asherons Call, and pretty much anything after. Wow burnt me out though. Not much as changed since, they've just gotten easier. I enjoyed exploration and risk vs reward the most, but all that is dead these days.

#7 Posted by Keeyez (17 posts) -

People only bring up the combat when talking about unique features to Tera. Everyone has seemed to forget about the political system in the game.

http://tera.wikia.com/wiki/Vanarch

#8 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

From the screenshots I really didn't like the female designs. I understand MMO's are fantastical and that usually means indulgence. But at this point, i'm kind of sick of seeing woman dressed like exotic hookers. It's reached the point of generic. Lord Of The Rings: Online gets points in my book for having female characters wear practical and believable armour. Well, at least until they started brining on cosmetic items.

#9 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

I watched the QL and the zones seem to be so empty, is that the case for the entire game? The areas Brad was in seem to consist of mostly plains and rocks with a tree or scrub here and there, but definately not as diverse as most other mmo's.

#10 Edited by bunnymud (717 posts) -

Got the game after watching the QL. Lvl 25 priest and I'm really digging the game even thought the look gives me hardcore Aion flashbacks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.