Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tera

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jan 25, 2011

TERA: The Exiled Realm of Arborea is a free-to-play, action-style MMORPG, developed by Bluehole Studios in South Korea using Unreal Engine 3. It was localized for English audiences by En Masse Entertainment of Seattle.

Tera Censorship, What you Need to Know, Why You should care.

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Neonie

lol

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By DeeGee

Please tell me if I got this wrong ... but it sounds like people are complaining because the game developers decided they wanted a race to wear shorts?

Can you explain to me how I am wrong, because that is the dumbest fucking thing to complain about.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By beforet

Was this a self-imposed censorship? Were they forced by a third party, or did the decision happen internally? Because if it did, then there's no inherent problem with this. It's their art and their interpretation of this goddess, and they can express it however they like, It might look bad because they have bad artists (not my judgement, just a scenario), but that's not an inherent issue here. Doesn't seem like something to get worked up over.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

my guess, they look like 8 year old girls and they wanted to stay away from a Pedophile controversy.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Slaegar

This whole Elim censorship situation sucks. I know this sort of thing scares certain people, but for the United States, a country so proud of its freedom to receive a special censored version, just plain sucks. This will also be the English version everyone gets.

I would most likely play a Popori male if anything in this game, but this situation makes me think about picking up the game at all.

This feels like paranoia from the localizers more than anything else.

We might make fun of the Chinese version of World of Warcraft here in the Western world, but now the shoe is on the other foot.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By beforet

Ah, I'm sorry, I didn't catch that this was exclusive to the American/English copies of the game. Yeah, that's kind of insulting.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spoonman671

This isn't censorship.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By nintendoeats

Can somebody please explain this for people who don't know what the hell Tera is?

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By ESREVER

I'm not gonna play an Elin, but I do find the forced hot pants style of shorts on them kinda ridiculous. I think the original models are much nicer, which is why I'm going to install that mod that uses the Korean files for the Elin.

http://tera-mods.blogspot.com/2012/02/removing-western-censoring-on-elin-for.html?showComment=1330393779122#c7198660459789488056

Even though I'll be playing a High Elf most likely, I still want the Sea of Lolis to look pleasant. I'm not kidding when I say a sea of Elin. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE. That is, if that mod still works by the time it gets released. I'm not even sure if I'm getting it yet anyway...

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ShadowConqueror

What the fuck is Tera?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Dagbiker

@ShadowConqueror said:

What the fuck is Tera?

wasn't it that movie.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zithe

I am pro-censorship on this one. I just finished playing in the Closed Beta 3 and the art style in this game is my least favorite part. The women all look like strippers and move around so ridiculously. I tried making a female High Elf and couldn't even go through with it. So dumb.

That aside, the game is pretty fun.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By august

I didn't need to know about this nor should I care.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JazGalaxy

Despite the original posters obvious attempts to obfuscate a decision that's pretty obvious, a quick google search shows that Tera is an mmo and that the elim are a race that looks like children in their underwear.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dagbiker

You never told me why i should care.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CaptainCody

@Neonie: To some extent, I still don't see a reason as to why it really matters. The edits don't seem that damaging and unless you're that much of a pedophiliac scumbag I don't see the reason to care. The fact that you would get this up in arms over the developer trying to not get swarmed by media over here and that you want to play a loli race has told me enough.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#17  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Neonie: If given the choice between being caught up in a censorship and poor quality controversy or a pedophile controversy, how many people would really choose the latter? Come now.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

They're editing their own content, and while some may be upset, from what I can tell this thing has been blown way out of proportion. This isn't a censorship issue, I think this is at best a minor quality issue. If you actually look up the in-game images of this race you start to see how the old costumes were basically sexualising children and I really can't fault En Masse for not wanting to present that kind of content to a western market. Them not choosing to publish such content does not mean that they consider the opinion of their community worthless.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HaltIamReptar

I read through your whole poorly worded and ill-conceived post and found literally nothing reaching what is commonly defined as censorship.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By twigger89

@HaltIamReptar said:

I read through your whole poorly worded and ill-conceived post and found literally nothing reaching what is commonly defined as censorship.

That sums it up quite nicely. I will add that the models you linked all look incredibly stupid, pants or not.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By mesoian

@Marz said:

my guess, they look like 8 year old girls and they wanted to stay away from a Pedophile controversy.

YUP.

It's because the race looks like children. The rest of the races in Tera are more scantly clad.

It's an issue...but this isn't where you want to make you line in the sand. Japan has this idea that putting 10 year olds in hooker gear and saying that they're 800 makes things okay. It doesn't. It's a problem that almost every facit of japanese entertainment is going through. It's the reason why the major of Tokyo, insane as he may be, is trying to ban the creation of 80% of manga right now. It's why the grand majority of anime can't get television deals outside of the japan. Its an uncomfortable situation that needs addressing, but, creepily, scarily, lolibased ero-entertainment is a big ticket item in japan (and elsewhere) and money talks.

And yes, censorship is a tough subject and it sucks in this particular case, but this isn't the argument you want to throw your weight behind, especially since simple modding can revert the character models to how they were before.

Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tan

I'm in favor of the shorts. Generally looks better too. I get the argument for a toggle but I get the argument for just not even having the toggle; it looks mad creepy.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dagbiker

@Mesoian said:

@Marz said:

YUP.

It's because the race looks like children. The rest of the races in Tera are more scantly clad.

It's an issue...but this isn't where you want to make you line in the sand. Japan has this idea that putting 10 year olds in hooker gear and saying that they're 800 makes things okay. It doesn't. It's a problem that almost every facit of japanese entertainment is going through. It's the reason why the major of Tokyo, insane as he may be, is trying to ban the creation of 80% of manga right now. It's why the grand majority of anime can't get television deals outside of the japan. Its an uncomfortable situation that needs addressing, but, creepily, scarily, lolibased ero-entertainment is a big ticket item in japan (and elsewhere) and money talks.

And yes, censorship is a tough subject and it sucks in this particular case, but this isn't the argument you want to throw your weight behind, especially since simple modding can revert the character models to how they were before.

Ya, Im going to differ with you on that. Having a nude child run around is exactly where i want to draw the line. Infact i never want that line to get close to that child.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By triple07

What if I don't care about censorship of images that look like naked children?

Also I have no idea what this game is so...yeah...I was hoping this thread would be something mildly interesting. I was wrong.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By matiaz_tapia

( After google)

Holy shit!, how did this design get a green light on an international release?! You should be thankful for the shorts, even if they don't dye properly.

There is no way to argue this are NOT sexualized. No the year thing doesn't count, it never did.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Dagbiker: Agreed.

Also, there's no way to say this without sounding like I'm trolling, but fuck it (and this is just my opinion fyi): but this game has much, much bigger issues than questionable clothing for one specific race...

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By jimi

Well my friend referred to this game as "Loli Upskirts Online", I guess I can see what he means now .

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Animasta

@Mesoian: tera's being developed by koreans though?

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Leptok

Sucks on principle, but in case you hadn't noticed, our country has a hangup about sex/nudity/little girls in underwear.

byterunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By byterunner

@Mesoian said:

@Marz said:

YUP.

That's cool and all, but this game was made in South Korea.

BTW: I'm not even going to buy Tera and I support the changes that they've made for localizing. Just in case you think I was defending the game.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By biospank

wait aint Tera that perv mmo from Japan with lolicon and other crap in it?

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By 71Ranchero
    No Caption Provided

This is todays video game enthusiast.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I'm sorry, why should I care about this?

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ch3burashka

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something (I couldn't tell what I was looking at in the picture you linked), but if I get you correctly, you're complaining that the developers won't let you see digital vag? If that's the case, this is stupid.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Its...not really censorship...you know pron online is free right OP? 

Avatar image for belligerentengine
    BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I literally laughed out loud at the topic of this thread, so uhh... thanks!

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pinworm45

So I'm against censorship - even self imposed, which this absolutely is, and calling it censorship is disingenuous - but I find it really, really, REALLY hard to care that a bunch of girls that were designed to look 9 years old are wearing shorts instead of panties in their MMO, in their extremely sexualized outfits.

Really, really hard to care.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BraveToaster

This is so fucking stupid.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BigChickenDinner

They look like midgets to me. I mean holy shit, they have more meat on those tiny little legs than a horse's ass.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's a Tera?

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LaserLambert

I gave up on this topic post after the crap about electric cars and solar panels... I mean come on...

you also go to great length to provide no context that they are little girls, other than saying "modeled after a goddess" which could mean anything, those before/after body images looked like they might have mushroom heads or something for all I could tell, how was I to know they would be big hipped, sexy eyed, pouty lipped little girls in thongs?

this means your post was not to inform, because of its clear bias to one side of the issue.

plus it's their content, telling them not to change it is almost censorship in and of itself. if they think they can reach a wider audience or avoid some sort of controversy by cutting out the pedophilia, it's their prerogative.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By august

I think everyone should follow the op.

And when I say "everyone" I mean the FBI.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

For context on the race 

Now to remove this from my hardrive before the FBI comes
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By N7

Little girls without pants? Creative art.

Little girls with pants? Censorship.

Something is wrong with this picture.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By toowalrus

You haven't quite convinced me why I should care. Some regions are a little more touchy when it comes to their creepy animated child pornography, so they threw some shorts on the little girls. Who fuckin' cares?

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By clstirens

@JazGalaxy said:

Despite the original posters obvious attempts to obfuscate a decision that's pretty obvious, a quick google search shows that Tera is an mmo and that the elim are a race that looks like children in their underwear.

This. The picture he posted doesn't really convey to you that the race looks like a child. I'll admit that a couple of the ones near the bottom have pretty dumb looking shorts, but overall I'm glad this got toned down.

It's sexualization of minors. Call them "forest spirits" or "sprites" or what have you. It's a child-like face on a prepubescent body, and you can almost see the damn things ass.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Subjugation

@Marz said:

Ding ding ding! And you know what? That is a smart move.

Also, from the screenshot that was linked, I didn't see what what the big deal was with the edits. Seems like they gave them undershirts, longer shorts/skirts, etc. and none of them look particularly awful.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @clstirens said:

@JazGalaxy said:

This. The picture he posted doesn't really convey to you that the race looks like a child. I'll admit that a couple of the ones near the bottom have pretty dumb looking shorts, but overall I'm glad this got toned down.

It's sexualization of minors. Call them "forest spirits" or "sprites" or what have you. It's a child-like face on a prepubescent body, and you can almost see the damn things ass.

I posted a pic for ya above. 
    adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By adoggz

@The_Laughing_Man said:

For context on the race

great, now we are all going to pedo jail. THANKS!

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By clstirens

@The_Laughing_Man: Yeah, that's what tipped me off. As I mentioned, I had no clue what the big deal was one way or another, or why it was called "censorship." Then I saw your picture and was like "oh" and realized the reason. Like I said, I'm actually glad it got "censored' by the dev team.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.