Tera going free to play starting in Febreuary

#1 Edited by _k1_ (199 posts) -

Starting next month, the NA version of Tera is going free to play. There is a FAQ and a forum thread covering the transition.

Edit: The EU version is also going F2P, and has a FAQ as well.

The Korean and Japanese servers are already F2P

Edit: sorry for the double post and typos.

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (15106 posts) -

This is what I've been waiting for. We all knew it would happen. It would be doubly convenient if they launched it on steam as well.

#3 Posted by Svenzon (728 posts) -

Only a matter of time before the European version follows. I bought a copy a few weeks ago since a Swedish retailer sold them for what amounts to 5 dollars or so. Not a bad price for that game.

#4 Edited by _k1_ (199 posts) -

@Svenzon: EU is going F2P as well.

#5 Posted by psylah (2183 posts) -

Wait, I've been playing it for free for a few months...

#6 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

YES! Been hoping for this for a while. Jeff Cannata raving about this on every Weekend Confirmed has got me interested!

#7 Posted by DonChipotle (2810 posts) -

Welp, time to go back in. I wonder how my slayer is doing.

#8 Posted by Demoskinos (15106 posts) -

@psylah said:

Wait, I've been playing it for free for a few months...

The current model as I understand it has it free yes but only up to a specific level.

#9 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

Can't remember where I said it, but...."CALLLLLLLLLLLLED IT!"

#10 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1547 posts) -

The real issue here is if I have to pay to play the loli race or not.

Man, that QL's in-game chat was just fantastic.

#11 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Ok, maybe Ill give it a try, maybe.

#12 Posted by Karkarov (3230 posts) -

@_k1_ said:

Starting next month, the NA version of Tera is going free to play. There is a FAQ and a forum thread covering the transition.

Edit: The EU version is also going F2P, and has a FAQ as well.

The Korean and Japanese servers are already F2P

Edit: sorry for the double post and typos.

Wow that was pretty fast, I figured Tera would hold out longer. However it has long since become obvious that being "F2P" is not a death sentence or even a sign of bad quality. I may give it a look-see now.

#13 Posted by geirr (2680 posts) -

Good times! I've been playing since CB1 and I'll continue subscribing for now and hopefully this will be a change for the better. Elite account sounds fairly beneficial.

#14 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

Free, eh. Maybe I will give it a shot but were I to get into an MMO again I think Guild Wars 2 would be the one.

#15 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

Now that Tera has gone F2P, I will totally jump in and play the game. Heck, I might throw some money at them if there Cash Shop has something worth while.

#16 Posted by IndieFinch (242 posts) -

I am actually decently excited about this. The short time I spent in Tera, I loved. It is just hard to pay monthly for multiple MMOs when I don't have the time I used to. I would love to be able to play WoW, Tera, and Rift all at the same time by only paying for WoW.

#17 Posted by TheHT (11677 posts) -

I'll try it, but I'm quite enjoying The Old Republic right now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.