Trying to gauge Giant Bomb interest in Tera. (Another MMO, yes)

• 68 results
#51 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I was thinking about buying this and playing it for a month and then quitting... But now I'm getting into Super Monday Night Combat and that'll be what I play for a month and then quit.

I was thinking the same thing but then I got into the FireFall beta and that totally absorbed me

#52 Posted by Karkarov (3275 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind:

I won't say anything in response to alot of your post because like you said, I didn't get out of the starter areas in the weekend. Without seeing it for myself I can only take what you say at face value.

I will reiterate that I could tell there was some type of compelling group content out there, but I didn't get to participate in it. What I did get to participate in left me feeling unimpressed with the game. Again I own it, it was a Pre BUY weekend, but I won't actually play it anymore until maybe full release when I can get a chance to see that other content and then maybe come to a different conclusion.

For now I can only stick to my opinion because that is honestly how I felt from what I personally experienced. So I will leave it at that.

Either way Guild Wars 2 will do well just like Guild Wars 1 did, in fact it will probably be the most successful "MMO" launch this year by a longshot.

#53 Posted by PenguinDust (12629 posts) -

Honestly, I was shocked to discover that Tera had finally gone live. I want to play it but I'm going to wait a few months.

#54 Posted by Mikemcn (7018 posts) -

I'll wait for it to go Free to play, that'll be about.... 6 months?

#55 Posted by Wannabe_Hipster (56 posts) -

Love it! Can't wait to get home today and play.

#56 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

i was thinking about trying this but seems GB interest is very low.

#57 Posted by stenchlord (233 posts) -

Yeah seems that way.

I have a few characters on a couple servers though. Following two are the ones I tend to play most.

PVE - Frost Reach - L39 Archer - Kalindre

PVP - Feral Valley - L15 Lancer - Phaedre

If anyone wants to jump in with me I also don't mind rolling out a new character, was thinking of trying out a Slayer or Beserker anyway.

#58 Posted by Onisama (46 posts) -

I've been having a fucking blast with TERA so far, although I do have a bit of a soft spot for Korean MMO's for some reason... The combat is genuinely fun, feels smooth and can present a real challenge later on. I've played almost all of the classes, and so far the warrior class seems to be the most intense of them all, really have to pay attention and dodge/predict enemy attacks.

At any rate, I'm sure 98% of the GB audience will pass on the game, but I think it's worth a look. Trying to play this, GW2 & Diablo 3 is tandem is going to be rough, but we'll see what happens!!

I'm on the RP server (Celestial something or other...), character is "Harrowing" if anyone is interested. COME ON, GB RP GUILD?! Honestly I play on RP servers just because the community is always slightly better on them.. at any rate, I should shut up.

#59 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

@Karkarov: hes been white knighting the game for months you cant convince him trust me

#60 Posted by stenchlord (233 posts) -

@Onisama: I'll join ya. What class and level you at though? Might be kinda pointless if you're too far ahead.

#61 Posted by Onisama (46 posts) -

@stenchlord: Right now I have a warrior at lvl 14 or so, but I'd have no problem rolling another character, want to try out some other classes anyway!

Just joined a guild called "Hyperspace Pony Patrol"... so take that as you will =P

#62 Posted by geirr (2709 posts) -

Tera is an awesome game, still, and I really hope Brad gives it a fair chance unlike in his Dungeon Defenders quick look which was extremely sad for the people who played past the first few levels.

#63 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I would love to play a MMO. Just..do not have the money to pay monthly sadly. 

#64 Edited by stenchlord (233 posts) -

@Onisama: If you're a Warrior I'll run Lancer. Am just headed to bed though so will have to be when I wake up lol.

@pepsimaxofborg: Gunna join us?

EDIT: Decided to create a character before bed lol. Yalora - Female Elf - Lancer. Added your Harrowing account Onisama :) If you decide to roll a new character just add Yalora. I also transferred my Kalindre - Female Human - Archer - L39 and added you.

#65 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

i dont know or understand what is it with me and mmos, but I just need to try them all, so I broke down and got it. Was dreading the account issues some people are having, but it SEEMS to be working, at least my account says i own it >_> hopefully i can log in lol. I am fully aware that:

A) the quests are vanilla-wow-level boring and

B) Ill play it at most for 9 days until the 15th when Diablo hits

but I still had to get it >_> What the fuck is wrong with me. To be honest tho, the whole action part DOES have me interested, as Im struggling to understand how you play a ranged class in a mmo where you actually have to AIM the spells, so theres that.

Oh and no shame in admiting it, those female models (no, not the little girls lol) look fucking amazing. Oh well, im sure that at least in time-played wise ill get more than my moneys worth even in just 9 days (certainly more than the countless other 50 buck games ive gotten over the years)

#66 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

any european bombers playing, if so on what server?

and also, i hear its grindy, but I also hear of people getting to high levels (like mid 40s) quite fast, so what kind of grindy is it? boring, same type quest grindy, or Aeon-style it takes 100 hours to get 5 levels grindy? I dont mind the quest grindy, but i cant stand the levels taking forever

#67 Posted by stenchlord (233 posts) -

It's usually the same kill x amount of enemies kind of quests and the enemies don't give much XP but the quests themselves usually give a huge amount to offset that. I personally just find the combat fun, enough that after a day of working it's nice to be able to come home and tune out with something like this. Going from leve 1-12 which is the tutorial island (Island of Dawn) takes like an hour and a half if you know what you're doing. During open beta I went from 1-32 in two days I think it was with my Archer, only reason my Archer isn't higher is cause I'm re-rolled with new characters to properly try out other classes.

#68 Posted by Anund (940 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

any european bombers playing, if so on what server?

and also, i hear its grindy, but I also hear of people getting to high levels (like mid 40s) quite fast, so what kind of grindy is it? boring, same type quest grindy, or Aeon-style it takes 100 hours to get 5 levels grindy? I dont mind the quest grindy, but i cant stand the levels taking forever

I'm only level 26 so far, but it seems to me I can still log on for a couple of hours after work and get a level or two just running around doing my thing. I'd say the quests are simplistic and grindy, but you get enough XP from them to make decent progress. I'm having a lot of fun with the game overall: playing a mystic which is far from what I normally play in MMOs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.