Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Terminator Salvation

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released May 19, 2009

Terminator Salvation is a cover-based third-person shooter that focuses on events leading up to the film by the same name.

Only Four Hours?

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By TheKidNixon

Let me make a pair of prefaces before I continue.

1) I don't buy into the idea that there is a set dollar-amount to hour ratio that makes a game worthwhile. There are more nebulous qualities beyond simply the value proposition you need to consider.

2) I really want to support Grin. They seem like good guys who have a passion for making good licensed games, which is a noble endeavor.

Now. With that out of the way, I think that the length of this game an issue. According to a couple different sources, the game clocks in at about an average of 4 hours; one section of one of the levels, according to Game Trailers, is only 36 seconds. On top of that, the Achievement/Trophy list is little more than a collection of "complete this level" objectives, with the 360 version having a few more for defeating it on higher difficulties.

The quality of the moment to moment gameplay of this seems fine, much like Wanted did. But also like Wanted, there simply isn't enough there. And I am really hard-pressed to not see this as being dishonest.  For people uninformed, the actual amount of entertainment they're getting for 60 dollars will be frustrating and disappointing.

4 hours. To put that into perspective, that is less time than watching the first two terminator movies, back to back.  Hell, I'm pretty sure that's shorter than  my first run through of Portal, and this game certainly isn't going to be better than that. Without any real incentive for multiple play throughs other than to get an S rank, this really seems to be shifty to me.

Thoughts?

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By End_Boss

Uh... Three words: licensed video game.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

If that's true, then it would seem we have a new Avatar.

I don't understand the complaint some people have about game length, but if it is a satisfying 4 hours, then there's really very little to complain about.  However, if it's only a mediocre 4 hours, then that's just flat-out disappointing.

And yes, the guys at GRIN DO seem like cool doods.  I've been playing through Bionic Commando, and while the game has its flaws, it's an awesome fucking experience.  Nonetheless, reviews are clocking it in at about 6-8 hours on a medium difficulty level playthrough.  I'm 36% through on Commando mode (the hardest difficulty), and I've put in 7 hours.

So...take that for what you can.  Personally, I'll probably play this game just for the achievements.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Unless those are the best 4 hours in gaming history, this game needs to debut with a $20 price tag.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Gizmo

Every single player game (with few exceptions) are rentals in  my book.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Zereta

I'm actually pretty damn upset by this fact. The trailers and crap were making the game seem like it would be good and now we have it, its just for achievement whoring.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Red

You could spend $60 for these four hours if you really love Terminator, OR you could spend that $60 to see the new movie 6 times.

The game does appear to have some good co-op, which would make for some great replayability, but there's no online. That sucks.
    killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By killdave

Hmm so its a short game?

So what you're saying is its got the potential to be the next Call of Duty 4 ????

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By EpicSteve
    2) I really want to support Grin. They seem like good guys who have a passion for making good licensed games, which is a noble endeavor.

You would spend $60 to support a developer? A consumer shouldn't have that mentality.
    lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By lord_canti

all i can say about this is, due to what ive hered about this game over the last few days that its 4 hours long that its only got gold and platinum trophies its shooting higher and higher in my love film cue  and discovering that grin made it has made it be on its own list with high priority :)

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I think GRIN has promise but I don't get why you'd want to support them so badly.  They made a pretty cool version of GRAW (better than the console games IMO), seems like they failed to reach potential with Bionic Commando (though to be fair I haven't played it yet), and then turned in this crap and Wanted which was also unspectacular, if it did have a couple redeeming features.  Lets see them make a real good game before we think of them so highly.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By TheKidNixon
    EpicSteve said:
    2) I really want to support Grin. They seem like good guys who have a passion for making good licensed ... [more]
    I buy games new rather than used, thus paying on average ten to five dollars more so that I can support developers I like.

I don't plan on buying this game with this knowledge, most likely rent it and run through it in a night, collect and easy thou (would be my first.) But if it was longer/had multiplayer, I would have probably bought it.

Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    I think GRIN has promise but I don't get why you'd want to support them so badly.  They made a ... [more]
    The gameplay in Wanted and (I'm assuming) Salvation (which are granted in many ways the same game reskinned from the looks of things; crossover potential?) is pretty solid for a B-title, which is above what most other developers are doing; even major publishers are putting out junk as an easy cash-in when it comes to licensed games (I'm looking at you, Sega, with your shotty Marvel games) while Grin at the very least seems to have a passion for making games that don't suck. That's why this is so disappointing; while the gameplay and graphical fidelity game look solid, if generic, they challenge all that goodwill by making now two products that have very little reasoning behind their full price point.

I've not played Bionic Commando yet, but it is pretty clear now that this is where the majority of the company's manwidth went, where as the other two games have solid design ideas but are limited how much they can offer. Also, Rearmed was fantastic, even if just a remake. That also is where a lot of my goodwill first generated.
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zityz

I just rented this game last night at 12am. I beat it with a buddy by 3am. It was on easy difficulty but didnt relise until the second mission but oh well.
    There are MANY things wrong with this game.
    1. The cutscenes look bad, real bad. The character models don't look polished at all.
    2. Major lack of enemy varity. There are like 6 enemies you fight the entire game. Not to mention no last boss fight.
    3. Very Anti-climatic.
    4. SHORT SHORT SHORT
    5. Lack of game options. No multiplayer, nothing unlocked after you beat the game. No reason to go back through it.
    6.You can get 1000 Gamerscore in 4 hours ( playing Hard) i.e. No Challange

7.Lastly, The games difficulty is ass backwards. Lack of ammo in the beginning. Over abundance of weapons near the end. All you need to do is lob grenades, shoot with shotgun. Rinse Repeat.

It's really a shame considering Wanted:Weapons of fate wasen't too bad. Compared to that game Terminator is a joke. I rented it. It cost $10 which is what the game is worth in terms of effort put into it and the lengh of the game. Shame really.

Also, I just woke up so I'm in sleepzombification mode AKA lack of coffee running trough my body, so I probably have spelling mistakes. Yet I have no intention to find any of them to fix it.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zityz

I just rented this game last night at 12am. I beat it with a buddy by 3am. It was on easy difficulty but didnt relise until the second mission but oh well.
    There are MANY things wrong with this game.
    1. The cutscenes look bad, real bad. The character models don't look polished at all.
    2. Major lack of enemy varity. There are like 6 enemies you fight the entire game. Not to mention no last boss fight.
    3. Very Anti-climatic.
    4. SHORT SHORT SHORT
    5. Lack of game options. No multiplayer, nothing unlocked after you beat the game. No reason to go back through it.
    6.You can get 1000 Gamerscore in 4 hours ( playing Hard) i.e. No Challange

7.Lastly, The games difficulty is ass backwards. Lack of ammo in the beginning. Over abundance of weapons near the end. All you need to do is lob grenades, shoot with shotgun. Rinse Repeat.

It's really a shame considering Wanted:Weapons of fate wasen't too bad. Compared to that game Terminator is a joke. I rented it. It cost $10 which is what the game is worth in terms of effort put into it and the lengh of the game. Shame really.

Also, I just woke up so I'm in sleepzombification mode AKA lack of coffee running trough my body, so I probably have spelling mistakes. Yet I have no intention to find any of them to fix it.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Vinchenzo
    jakob187 said:
    If that's true, then it would seem we have a new Avatar.I don't understand the complaint some people have about ... [more]
    I'm not sure if I understand how this is the new Avatar. There are much easier games for achievements than Terminator. Especially considering this game has difficulty achievements. Just play some Jumper.... it's a game that is not even an hour long.
    hunterzolomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hunterzolomin

agreed if the game is only 4 hrs why not make it 20 bucks or just have it for sale over live arcade

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By TheHBK

Dsiappointed.  I have been following the development of the game since it was announced.  I need to play it and will probably buy it when it is on the bargain bin rack at best Buy.  I dont understand how this game is missing so many things when they had a pretty good ammount of development time, before Terminator 4 was even announced, about two years, which is pretty normal for most games now a days.  This really shakes my faith in Grin because they had plenty of time, barely got a split screen co-op in there, no co-op over live, no multiplayer, and the achivements arent even well thought out.  What were they doing?

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Hairydutchman

4 hours of gameplay  for a full priced game is just criminal.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By maxszy
    jakob187 said:
    If that's true, then it would seem we have a new Avatar.I don't understand the complaint some people have about ... [more]
    While four hours of satisfaction is great, it still can feel short. Especially if one were to buy it at full price. Like others, the length doesn't really bother me but when you get a game THAT short, you wonder if they could have done more. Even if what they did is satisfying.
    Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Torrim

Having played it, the length was an issue.  It felt like the same length as Half Life 2 Episode Two, but for 60$ no way.  Rental at best.  And it's only alright even if you do decide to rent it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.