Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Terraria

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released May 16, 2011

The first major 2D entry into the world of "open world" sandbox action-adventure games, Terraria is inspired by 16-bit platformers and allows players to mine for ores, craft new equipment, and fight monstrous bosses in a large procedurally-generated world.

Anyone else disapointed in the Quick Look?

• 54 results
    InuorDie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By InuorDie

I love Will of course, but I felt that he didn't do justice to the game in the quick look. Not that it deserves a huge hour long look at it for it's awesomeness or anything, but Will didn't seem to have put much time or effort into learning much about the game itself. A few things that made me feel this way. Mentioning that his iron pick was a midgame item was pretty silly, being the second worst mining item in the whole game, it shows that he didn't understand the scale of what you could truly do. Not to mention thinking the best tools are Obsidian, which don't exist. Another thing being that he didn't even know what corruption was when he spotted it, or at least he didn't do very well in explaining what it was. For a game where there's countless layers of challenges, destroying shadow orbs to cause a meteor to land, killing a boss for a Dryad to move in, going to the edge of the map to explore Dungeon and fight Skeletron, searching for floating islands, tearing through underworld, all he did was pretty much just call it Minecraft, which only explains so much, and in truth undersells it. I'm sorry, but just saying a game is exactly like another game is lazy, lazy, lazy.

It's not a huge important release, but it deserves more respect than that, especially from a site that usually gives such great coverage.

I actually suspect that Will didn't have much time to play it, and I can't blame him for that. I'm disappointed, not mad

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Do you really expect him to spend lots of time on a indie game like that? I think it was a decent quicklook. He might get some info wrong but so do many other people who have done "lets plays" of this game. And how would he know what corruption is?  

Why should he go all the way to the Wiki for the game? None of the other guys do that. 

InuorDie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By InuorDie
    @The_Laughing_Man: I'm sure he didn't have much time to work on it, but I think looking up some simple mechanics wouldn't be out of line. Heck, even the guide gives you most of this information.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    Do you really expect him to spend lots of time on a indie game like that? I think it was a decent quicklook. He might get some info wrong but so do many other people who have done "lets plays" of this game. And how would he know what corruption is?   Why should he go all the way to the Wiki for the game? None of the other guys do that. 
    First he steals my avatar. Now he (almost) steals my exact thought lol. But yeah, this pretty much.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @InuorDie said:

@The_Laughing_Man: I'm sure he didn't have much time to work on it, but I think looking up some simple mechanics wouldn't be out of line. Heck, even the guide gives you most of this information.

Do the guys do that for their quicklooks? It is not his fault if the game does not tell him " o hey thats corruption" Or " This is midgame"  

He made no mention of the under forest. OR the underworld. Shrines. The alter that was there. Cause chances are he did not know. He had no way of knowing outside of going to a wiki.  

Also "QUICK LOOK": not "Do a study before hand. And know everything about the game" Most of the time they go in cold. 
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JasonR86
    @InuorDie

Quick Looks were always meant to be the editor's first or nearly first look at a new game.  For being new to the game, I thought Will did a great job.  I think you're being a bit unfair.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By hatking

You're arguing semantics, mostly.  Who cares if he called something by the wrong name, he still gave the players the idea that there is a progression for tools in the game (the point). 

The Quick Look did a good enough job to get my interest piqued in the game. 

Also, keep in mind he doesn't really do Quick Looks, if he missed some stuff give him a break--it's not even his website.

InuorDie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By InuorDie
    @HatKing: I wasn't really trying to chew him out, though reading back I did a little, I just wish he was a little more informed is all.  

@The_Laughing_Man: I'm not looking for perfect accuracy, just some more in depth information, that was my disappointment.

And for the record. "Smashing a shadow orb will cause a meteor to fall out of the sky. Shadow orbs can usually be found in the chasms around corrupt areas." Says the guide.
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Akrid

Eh. I was expecting much worse. He showed pretty accurately what'll be going on for the first 3-4 hours of that game. I was kind of disappointed that he didn't mention that you can get some pretty cool and crazy items besides just armor and tools, but whatever.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

If you feel that it didn't receive proper coverage, then you should make a Quick Look of your own. We can call it a Counter-Quick Look.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @InuorDie said:
    @HatKing: I wasn't really trying to chew him out, though reading back I did a little, I just wish he was a little more informed is all. 

@The_Laughing_Man: I'm not looking for perfect accuracy, just some more in depth information, that was my disappointment.
    He reported on what he saw. How do you expect him to know more. 
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hatking
    @InuorDie said:

I see.  I mean, he showed enough to at least get me interested.  I assume the Quick Look isn't going to cover everything going in.  I guess it gives new players something to discover for themselves.  Having said that, I would have happily sat through another ten minutes or so of the Quick Look.... but then again I watch everything that they post.
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PillClinton

Sometimes I hate underpreparedness in QLs, but sometimes I love what it brings to the table (e.g. GT5 QL).  In this case, I liked it. 

InuorDie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By InuorDie
    @The_Laughing_Man: Well that's the thing, I wish he saw more, because it's a decently complex game. If I never knew about it before the quicklook wouldn't have made a very good impression on me. Don't just incriminate me because I'm giving some negative feedback.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @InuorDie said:
    @The_Laughing_Man: Well that's the thing, I wish he saw more, because it's a decently complex game. If I never knew about it before the quicklook wouldn't have made a very good impression on me. Don't just incriminate me because I'm giving some negative feedback.
    Same can be said for all games that are given a quick look. 
    InuorDie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By InuorDie
    @The_Laughing_Man: Then you agree. Glad we could come to an understanding.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it was said above but my impression is quick-looks are designed to show you what the game is from going in cold, if the game doesn't give you the info then that should be reflected in the quick-look too I guess. Again if Will is a fan of this game and doesn't know all this info then it's a failing of the game and should be reflected in the quick-look.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @InuorDie said:

@The_Laughing_Man: Then you agree. Glad we could come to an understanding.

It was a fine quick look. It was done on the same terms as them all. He went in without doing research on the game. He did fine.  

Im staying with the point you just really like the game and are annoyed. I enjoy the game to but what he showed off is sorta how I felt when I first started. Course even before I started I did know some stuff. 
    tmarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tmarg

I agree with the OP. They obviously knew that there were several aspects to the game other than Minecraft style building of houses and digging of holes, as he vaguely mentioned them. They still decided to release a video which only displays those gameplay elements, which makes the game look like a terrible clone.

It would be one thing if they genuinely didn't know any better, but obviously they knew that their video didn't do the game justice, and released it anyway, because they were too lazy to actually progress to different content. They effect is that they have further propped up the "it's just a Minecraft ripoff" mind set that people who haven't played the game already have.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By McGhee
    @InuorDie: It made me go and buy the game. They got the point across well enough.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

He explained it well enough, and lets be honest, this game wouldn't exist if it weren't for minecraft, direct comparisons were not the best choice but its his early impression on it.
    On top of that, the QL sold me on the game.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By keyhunter

It's a quicklook. Generally quicklooks are not the most informed pieces of content on this site.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MiniPato

I've watched several Terraria Let's Plays on youtube so far and all of them seem like they take a while for things to get started and really get in depth with the gameplay mechanics. Assuming Will is playing it casually, it's understandable that he wouldn't have too in-depth a knowledge of the game mechanics. And considering he's part of Tested and not Giant Bomb, you can't really say it's his job to be researching Terraria and giving it fair representation in Giant Bomb quick looks.

If you think this quick-look was unrepresentative of the product, watch the Yakuza 4 quick look. It could be much worse and I think Will gave Terraria as fair a shake as it was ever going to get had the GB guys manned the quick look, they don't even like Minecraft.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SSully

Dude I have a total of 13 hours in the game and I just upgraded from an Iron pick to a gold pick. I barley have a clue what corruption actually is and if I will ever be able to mine through it.  

No offense but I think you expected to much. I thought he explained the game well enough for someone who just plays the game in his spare time. 

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By nintendoeats

I am more interested now than I was before. So there.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I almost had an episode when he walked in and out of that door at the beginning over and over again, but other than that I thought it was alright. 17 minutes seemed kind of short, but then I always wish there was more quicklook time usually.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By onarum

The fact that you can craft many better pickaxes is irrelevant, he showed that you can craft tools with ores you find, that's enough information, he showed you fight monsters and find stuff, he told how you build houses for npcs, so basically he showed everything there is to know, the rest is just little increments, better tools, harder monsters etc...

Also do you really expected him to lay out every single aspect of the game? ever heard of a little something called discovery? some people like it, some people prefer to find stuff out for themselves as opposed to read through a wiki or watching countless you-tube lets plays.....

And yes, he did little more then calling it 2d minecraft with a little more game on it because that's exactly what it is, anyone thinking otherwise is just delusional.

InuorDie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By InuorDie

Fair enough, my opinion isn't very much shared but I'm sticking by it. I guess just some closing thoughts.

A lot of you thought I wanted him to explain every last detail, which isn't true, I just felt he didn't explain some core mechanics that may have gotten some duders more interested.

I wasn't trying to blame Will at all, I know he's not of the GiantBomb crew, and he didn't have much time to work on it, the only reason it sounds like I have gripe on him is that he was the one hosting it, so I had to refer to him.

I actually thought I had more to say but I've said it all before. It's just a game and I'd say if the quicklook peaked your interest then there's much more it can offer, so give it a shot.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rockanomics
    Quick Look, not a Thoroughly Investigated Look.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Getz

It is a quick look. as in, they show you a quick look and nothing after. The video is an accurate depiction of what the early game is like, which is to say a lot like Minecraft. It's not their job to show you what the rest of it is like; if they did that for every game they'd never get to most of them. That is what reviews are for.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Xeiphyer

You are suffering from Quick Look Familiarity Syndrome, which I have invented.

This occurs when you watch a Quick Look of a game you enjoy, and notice that they didn't prepare much (or at all) beforehand and misrepresent the game.

It definitely sucks when this happens, but it still gives people unfamiliar to the game a brief introduction to the basics and helps them see if they are interested at all, it may not show the depth or all the awesome things in the game, but if people are turned off by the basics, they probably don't care.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho

Whining about playing the game wrong, keep it classy OP. The real game is about digging a vertical plummit until you hit lava, cus that's where a ton of gold is. Then upgrading everything and wondering what the hell else there is to do.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Ultimately it doesn't matter because he said "Like Minecraft" and then showed the part where it is like Minecraft.

That is all it takes for people to get interested.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By swamplord666

generally quick looks don't do the game justice for the people who already play it extensively. I know there's a lot of things I kind've winced at but whatever. I know it's a version of "nerd rage". The important thing is introducing games to people who don't have the game and i think they did a good job. There would be more of a problem if people complained that they still don't know what the game's about.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35  Edited By Cincaid
    @InuorDie
    As someone else already mentioned; I'd say that 90% of all the QLs are us viewing the player playing the game for the first time or just started on it. The only time we get more "in-depth" QLs are the EX ones with developers, or when they QL a game they're reviewing. To demand they research and peel off every little detail for every game they QL would, in my opinion, ruin the entire QL experience. Half the fun of watching them is simply because they're so clueless or scratching their heads wondering what the hell is going on.

I agree, however, that stating false information as facts (IE, Iron Pick being midgame item) can be really annoying when you're watching a QL for a game you've yourself played and enjoyed a lot. Happens to me all the time, but in the end I just don't care since I understand they can't play or research every game in-depth out there. I suggest you relax and enjoy the QLs for what they are: something for amusement's sake and not information.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @InuorDie said:

As someone who has played the game it's kind of tough for you to make that call isn't it? As someone who already knows about the game you're comparing the Quick Look against your own, more indepth knowledge of the game.

As someone who hasn't played it I think the Quick Look gave a very good impression of the game. I could see a lot of people picking this up because of it.
    SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Whoever is doing the quicklook usually gets half their facts wrong anyway. Nothing different really.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By Bollard

I don't think Giant Bomb care about Terraria...

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By phrosnite

No.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By Julmust

OP made me understand why it's often called  Autism Simulator 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like using the term but doesn't that come off kind of 'hipster'y? "He didn't talk about the things I KNOW about the game. Here's what I KNEW before him". Etc..

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42  Edited By Yanngc33

eh, I still don't really care for it

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By 71Ranchero

Another Indy game, another bitch fest about any media related to it.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By Zippedbinders

Coming from someone who has zero interest in Minecraft, it made me interested in Terraria.

HotSauceMagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HotSauceMagik

@LordXavierBritish said:
    Ultimately it doesn't matter because he said "Like Minecraft" and then showed the part where it is like Minecraft.  That is all it takes for people to get interested.  
    Or immediately turned away. 

I am in agreement with the OP.  The problem with a QL of an indie game, is that the general populous has no info going in on what the game is about.  This make mis-information particularly damaging. 

Yes this game is like Minecraft on the surface (d'oh!)  but its also a great deal deeper mechanics wise that really differentiates it after a certain point.  I didn't feel that this was reflected well in the QL.  
    Dv8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Dv8

My first time even hearing about this game was from watching the quick look and it got me interested enough to check out the game in further to the point where I think I might buy it.

WillofFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By WillofFire

I saw this game on the home page and decided to see what it was about by watching the quick look. I've decided to look into the game a bit more, but I'm definitely interested in playing it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#48  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Rockanomics said:
    Quick Look, not a Thoroughly Investigated Look.
    Heh, indeed. 

Will did his best.
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Kjellm87

I haven't paid much attention to it, but it looks like a fun game. I like old-school graphics.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Sayishere
    @InuorDie said:
    I love Will of course, but I felt that he didn't do justice to the game in the quick look. Not that it deserves a huge hour long look at it for it's awesomeness or anything, but Will didn't seem to have put much time or effort into learning much about the game itself. A few things that made me feel this way. Mentioning that his iron pick was a midgame item was pretty silly, being the second worst mining item in the whole game, it shows that he didn't understand the scale of what you could truly do. Not to mention thinking the best tools are Obsidian, which don't exist. Another thing being that he didn't even know what corruption was when he spotted it, or at least he didn't do very well in explaining what it was. For a game where there's countless layers of challenges, destroying shadow orbs to cause a meteor to land, killing a boss for a Dryad to move in, going to the edge of the map to explore Dungeon and fight Skeletron, searching for floating islands, tearing through underworld, all he did was pretty much just call it Minecraft, which only explains so much, and in truth undersells it. I'm sorry, but just saying a game is exactly like another game is lazy, lazy, lazy.  It's not a huge important release, but it deserves more respect than that, especially from a site that usually gives such great coverage.  I actually suspect that Will didn't have much time to play it, and I can't blame him for that. I'm disappointed, not mad
    Dont get me wrong i love Terraria, im playing it as we speak, but you have summed up the game, thats all the major things you can do. Ofc this is spread out over a couple a days or a week (more if you play caustioly) you cant expect anyone from Whiskey to get that deep into the game. I know Will could have sold the game more, especially to those who were on the Fence about the game, but time and effort is needed to truly get your moneys worth with Terraria. I would say its barrier to entry is pretty high, it literally lands you in the deep end with no help.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.