Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Terraria

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released May 16, 2011

The first major 2D entry into the world of "open world" sandbox action-adventure games, Terraria is inspired by 16-bit platformers and allows players to mine for ores, craft new equipment, and fight monstrous bosses in a large procedurally-generated world.

Do you think this will steal some of Minecraft's audience?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

For those of you who don't know, terraria is a 2D platformer where you can build, dig, and explore. Its similar to Minecraft in many ways and I think the audience for it will be almost exactly the same.

I kinda want to try it out, I like it's 2D perspective and I appreciate it tried something different, rather than some similar Minecraft esque games. But as a game thats complete and already costs much less than Minecraft, I think it could put a big dent in Minecraft's sales once people start playing it.

Anyone else think it could give Minecraft a challenge? 
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By JoeyRavn

No, not really. They are different enough for people to play both without any major overlapping. Besides, Minecraft has already sold 2 million copies. That's million bucks. It'll be very hard for Terraria to match that, even more surpass those sales.

I'd love to try Terraria, but I don't think it'll be able to get my attention for as long as Minecraft does. Sure, it's far more "interactive", with levels and magic and whatnot, but in Minecraft you can really create a world that feels alive. I guess it's because of the 3D perspective, but Terraria's worlds seem "flat" to me. No pun intended.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By MachoFantastico

Wasn't a fan of what I saw of it. It's interesting but feels like it basically removes the parts of Minecraft I love so won't be getting it myself. 

That said, a friend of mine as been playing it and seems to love his experience with the game. 
    Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

Terraria is going to have to cover a lot of ground to challenge Minecraft. At least, personally. Both Minecraft and Terraria don't really "show" very well in the first hour or two of playing. Once I figured out crafting and a few other things, Minecraft really took hold of me. Until then, I wasn't a huge fan of it.

Terraria kind of has the same vibe. I booted up the game a bit last night and wasn't hugely impressed. I think it mostly had to do with the control scheme being a little strange (W = up which, ok, makes sense, but you still need to hit space to jump. I'll have to rebind that stuff.)

After watching at some Terraria videos on Youtube, it looks like a remarkably deep game once you get into it. Apparently there's "floating islands" and unique items and... yeah. Now I'm wishing I'd spent more time with it last night. Problem is, anyone who's already into Minecraft will have gotten over that hump and completely forgotten those first few minutes where you're just wondering what the fucking hell you're supposed to do.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By AlmostSwedish

As neither is subscription based, at this point I don't think it matters if people start playing Minecraft to a lesser extent.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vexxan

I think it's likely people who try out Terraria, and if they like it, move on to Minecraft but I doubt Terraria will "steal" players from Minecraft.

I haven't played Minecraft in a while but I'm going give Terraria a try, I like what I see.
    amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By amomjc

Nah, Terraria seems like a gateway-game for Minecraft, for people who don't want to invest their lives but still enjoy the open-world it offers.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By animateria

The stuff you can build in 2D is too limited compared to the 3D stuff you can build in Minecraft.

This can be a gateway drug to Minecraft but not the other way around.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Slaker117

Is Minecraft still a thing that people play?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SSully

Terraria seems like a whole different type of game. Sure it has clear cut inspirations from minecraft, but it looks like it has a very large focus on combat, while minecraft has very little combat at all.

This video games it looks like a mix of minecraft and Castalvania.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By onarum

As long as it's childish and pointless then yes, it can steal some of the minecraft audience for sure.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sanity

This game is basically nothing like minecraft other then theres digging and you can build things, its more focused on combat the minecraft is. Your looking for better weapons to fight harder monstors and go deeper in the earth, minecraft you see every type of monstor in the first 30 minutes of play where this has boss battles and vendors. The building is only there to draw in vendors and help you get stronger, its basically what would happen if you combines minecraft's digging and building with castlevania's combat.

It has more room to grow then minecraft dose in my opinion.

switchit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By switchit

Well, it stole me, that's for sure :) Awesome game!

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Skald

Only the early game feels really Minecraft-y. Once you start fighting bosses with other people, it starts feeling more like Metroid mixed with World of Warcraft.

flashdim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By flashdim

I think at the very least it'll hold my attention until Minecraft gets some time to patch up and release.  This isn't a bad thing - I've kind of gotten Minecraft-fatigue myself, having explored a lot of what I can do in that game and tested my limits.

That said, I purcahsed Terraria day one.  Can't wait to see what updates will bring and at what speed.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Getz

This game is tits. I haven't played Minecraft in ages, but I don't expect to go back any time soon now that I have this.

Theavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Theavy

I rather like the music

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By time allen
    @Slaker117 said:
    yes rofl
    caityful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By caityful

Not particularly, no... They both have their virtues. I still play both.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Slaker117 said:
    As far as I've heard sales have only gotten stronger.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Slaker117
    @MariachiMacabre: Really? It always seemed like a fad to me, and since my two friends who played Minecraft stopped playing Minecraft I've been hearing about it significantly less. Shows what I know.
    DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By DAFTPUNK
    @Slaker117: you mean a game people play, and yes a shit ton of people still play it
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Slaker117
    @DAFTPUNK: Good to know. I have absolutely no connection to that community, and am baffled by the game's success, but wish it the best of luck.
    xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By xpgamer7

No. The minecraft audience is already huge, I think minecraft players might play both.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Maybe a very small number but I don't think it's a real threat to it.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I think Terraria is a very real threat to Minecraft if the creator continues to update it to add more features and improve functionality. I don't think it could ever overtake Minecraft, but I wouldn't be surprised if it steals away a significant chunk of the player base.

If there is one thing that Terraria has over Minecraft it's that it has an real level of progression outside of "I have more stuff now." and the core gameplay of Minecraft has changed very little since its launch.There's just more to do in in Terraria, and while I think it is a cruder product overall there is always room for improvement and the Minecraft audience is more than ready for something meatier to chew on.

Also it's on Steam, so that helps.

JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JoeMarsden

Three of the biggest 'Minecraftians' I know have moved to Terraria, but my guess is that it is only temporary. 

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrCandleguy

It won't STEAL anyone away from minecraft, I like to think we live in a world where both 3d and 2d games can live peacefully with eachother without stealing each others sales.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sayishere

I personally think yes it will, but not all of the audience. Alot of people will disregard Terraria as a 2d Minecraft, but in all seriousness, its more than that. A good analysis would be that Terraria is more a RPG with mining elements, wheras Minecraft focuses on mining predominately which leads to building of structures and what not. Terraria has limited building tbh, theres less creativeness since everything is in a 2d plane. 

I also like it that your character keeps all the items on him, even if you switch worlds. Theres also PVP in this game, which is intereting to say the least (although this game as a competitive PVP game seems quite amusing) 

But yeah, i think this game is very fun, but the question is will i get bored of it? most likely. I mean theres a limit to any game, when you get all the items from Terraria then there isnt much you can do, unless you want to PVP?. Although there will be updates and what not with new thing so i suppose theres things to look forward to.

dorimajmun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dorimajmun

Bought Terraria recently. Seems a LOT more exciting than Minecraft. Sadly, the world doesn't generate as you advance trough it like in Minecraft, but it has a lot more content. I like both of them but Minecraft gets boring after a couples of hundreds of hours of gameplay. 

JeffGerstFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JeffGerstFan

I dont think anything can "steal" an audience because people can always just come back to things. That said, I played minecraft an F ton and now I play Terraria! It has way more actual "game" than minecraft had and tons more stuff to discover and explore. 

Bongos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bongos
    @JeffGerstFan: What he said, different games with different audiences. 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CL60

No. A lot of people play Minecraft simply to build awesome shit, something you can't do in 2d.

Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Creigz

I heard a few of my friends quit Minecraft to play this. I personally would rather play this as well if I had to choose, I don't seem to particularly enjoy either though.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JP_Russell
    @animateria said:

The stuff you can build in 2D is too limited compared to the 3D stuff you can build in Minecraft.
    This can be a gateway drug to Minecraft but not the other way around.

That's not true.  Minecraft isn't just a game about building; it's about adventuring, too.  Unfortunately, its adventuring elements are pretty scant on the whole, and the game has a very pronounced bias toward its building elements.  There's nowhere near as much substantive, reproductive content in Minecraft as there needs to be to fully satisfy those who are intrigued by the game for more than just its appeal to artistic creativity. 

Terraria, on the other hand, has a decent amount of such content, and it rewards players who desire functionality far more than Minecraft ever has (speaking strictly in terms of design).  For the many fans of Minecraft that have been waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for it to be updated with more lasting survival elements; more varied, interesting, and meaningful exploration elements; many more things to create that serve a funcitonal purpose; more kinds of adversity and danger; and so on, Terraria offers those things (in its own, unique way) within a very similar framework.  It's certainly no replacement for Minecraft, as it plays differently enough and has a much more gamey feel to it, but the fact is that it's a block-building game that offers a category of content a lot of players wish Minecraft had more of. 

Minecraft very much is an effective gateway to Terraria.
    SilenceUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SilenceUK

the only similarity between minecraft and terraria is mining for ore and material THATS IT there completely different games ones a sand box and ones an adventure game wish ppl would stop sticking them in the same bag because there not at all

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Klaimore

Nah just like when a new MMO comes out it may get some peoples attention but people will always play WOW, 

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BasketSnake

Next - garrysmod quicklook. It's time to enlighten people on the awesomeness!

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By animateria
    @JP_Russell: Actually yeah. After watching the QL Terrania does have some nifty stuff that Minecraft doesn't do at the moment. 

I'm more of a fan of building aspect though, and building is just more fun in 3D. 

Now if I could just get my peanut butter in my chocolate.... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 

Tasty!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.