Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Terraria

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released May 16, 2011

The first major 2D entry into the world of "open world" sandbox action-adventure games, Terraria is inspired by 16-bit platformers and allows players to mine for ores, craft new equipment, and fight monstrous bosses in a large procedurally-generated world.

"Flickering"?

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By JoeyRavn

Is anyone experiencing the same problem as me? I can run Terraria just fine (well, I can run almost everything just fine, that's not the issue really), but the window "flickers" and seems to lose focus every few seconds. For a split second, I can see the wallpaper and the screen moves a few pixels up and down. The game icon is doubled in the taskbar, but the oldest one disappears after a couple seconds. I can keep on playing without any further complication, but the effect is rather annoying.

For reference, I'm running a Windows 7 Home Premium x64 PC, with a GTX 460, Q8400, 4GB RAM 800MHz. The game works perfectly in my ASUS i3 laptop, though.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Azteck

Your RAM is at 800MHz?

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @Azteck said:
    Your RAM is at 800MHz?
    Technically, 400MHz at Dual Channel DDR2. But that's besides the point.
    vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#4  Edited By vigorousjammer

I blame your 64-bit OS, I'm running 32-bit Vista and it's working fine (and my comp is a piece of shit)

is there any sort of 32-bit compatibility mode?

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @Vigorousjammer said:
    I blame your 64-bit OS, I'm running 32-bit Vista and it's working fine (and my comp is a piece of shit)  is there any sort of 32-bit compatibility mode?
    Not that I know of, but Terraria works fine on my laptop, which has also W7 x64. It seems it doesn't "flicker" if I disable Aero when playing the game. Maybe it's caused by the beta drivers I installed a couple days ago? I have an AMD GPU in my laptop, maybe that's why it's working as intended there.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JP_Russell

I'm playing it on Windows 7 64-bit with an nVidia video card with no problems.  However, my drivers are months old now and I don't use Aero.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#7  Edited By vigorousjammer
    @JoeyRavn: you don't hear of many games MADE to run on an AMD, lol.  Anyways, I have an old Geforce, so that might not be the issue.  I don't have Aero enabled since I'm using the basic Vista, so that could have something to do with it?   Sounds like an odd bug for a game to have, though.
    genis1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By genis1

Works just fine on my windows 7 (64-bit) I don't even have a video card.. Just a chip set. 

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @Vigorousjammer said:
    @JoeyRavn: you don't hear of many games MADE to run on an AMD, lol.  Anyways, I have an old Geforce, so that might not be the issue.  I don't have Aero enabled since I'm using the basic Vista, so that could have something to do with it?   Sounds like an odd bug for a game to have, though.
    Uh? I never said anything about the game being made for AMD. My remark was direct at the fact that I was using another GPU, and thus another set of drivers. If the problem was in fact the beta drivers I had installed, that could be proof ot it.

But anyways, it seems the flickering is gone once I rolled back to the latest stable release. Now, if  only I had the necessary time to devote to the game...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.