How the hell do you play this game online?

#1 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

Been trying to get a simple game going with someone since this game came out, but nothing works. I have followed every video I can find on youtube and every forum guide I can find, but nothing works. I just want to play the stupid game with someone and have no idea how. Can some one let me know how to do it, or point me to a guide that actually works?

#2 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

What exactly are you doing that isn't working.

#3 Posted by SSully (4324 posts) -

Well it involves port forwarding and other crap to actually allow it to work. I personally would use Hamachi. It is frowned upon by many, but if you and a buddy or 2 just want to get a server going quick and easy that is the way to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJplRcRakQ

That video shows you EXACTLY how to do it. Good luck.

#4 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish: No idea. I have tried just making a server in game then giving the guy my ip and that didn't work. So then I tried following the guides that say to use that hamachi program but that still doesn't work. We put in all the info but it just keeps saying its connecting and it never does. It usually times out.  

So basically everything.
#5 Posted by Moonshadow101 (575 posts) -

The guides that have been written aren't some kind of cruel trick. They work for the majority of people. Asking for "guide that actually works" is useless unless have some idea as to why they're not working for you. You must have some kind of unique circumstance.

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
@LordXavierBritish: No idea. I have tried just making a server in game then giving the guy my ip and that didn't work. So then I tried following the guides that say to use that hamachi program but that still doesn't work. We put in all the info but it just keeps saying its connecting and it never does. It usually times out.   So basically everything.
Then maybe you are doing Hamachi wrong. Are the people connecting to the hamachi server first? Then to the same IP> 
#7 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -
@SSully: Ya, that's the video I have followed and it still does not work.
#8 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man@Moonshadow101@LordXavierBritish: He says every time he trys to join its asking for a port number.
#9 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
@The_Laughing_Man@Moonshadow101@LordXavierBritish: He says every time he trys to join its asking for a port number.
Then maybe hes doing it wrong. Maybe its not you dude. 
#10 Posted by KingRedWing (44 posts) -

The port number is always defaulted at 7777 I believe.

#11 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man@KingRedWing@Moonshadow101@SSully@LordXavierBritish: Ok. we got it working some how. Thanks.
#12 Posted by endless_void (703 posts) -
@crusader8463: Dude dont use hamachi. It seriously sucks and isn't made for gaming. Use Tunngle. SO much easier to use.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.