Is this game pc only? If so, how crappy can the pc be?

#1 Posted by fossas (183 posts) -

I have an extremely shitty dell xps 1330 laptop but an awesome macbook pro. Is this a pc exclusive? If so are there any plans to port it to Mac??

#2 Posted by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -
I checked the specs on your Dell and it should be able to play it no problem (especially considering it's a 2D game). I doubt they'd bring it to Mac seeing as it was made using XNA. 

Here are the minimum requirements (Sorry about the color I copy and pasted it): 
  • Processor: 1.6 Ghz
  • Memory: 512MB
  • Hard Disk Space: 200MB
  • Video Card: 128mb Video Memory, capable of Shader Model 1.1
  • DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater
#3 Posted by JonDavis (612 posts) -
@DanHammett: Dude. Partition that thing and it'll play Empire: Total War on Medium with Ultra unit sizes. I know from personal experience.
#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6430 posts) -

If it has the 8400m in it then yes. Otherwise I am not sure.

#5 Posted by Droop (1916 posts) -

Boot camp, yo.

#6 Posted by Nephrahim (1156 posts) -

My 8 year old PC almost doubles the requirements.  I can't imagine ANYONE can't play this. 

The only real issue is how long it takes the world to load and save.

#7 Posted by Moonshadow101 (574 posts) -

Given that the game is built on XNA, a mac port is obscenely unlikely. 

#8 Posted by fossas (183 posts) -
@JonDavis Pardon my PC noobness, but what does partition mean?
#9 Posted by JonDavis (612 posts) -
@DanHammett: ...
#10 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1478 posts) -
@JonDavis said:
Give him a break, he's a mac user, can't blame him for not knowing how a computer works.
#11 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@No0b0rAmA
@JonDavis said:
Give him a break, he's a mac user, can't blame him for not knowing how a computer works.
Hahaha I love the fact that this manages to be more offensive than the original "..."
#12 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

I wouldn't recommend this game. It's not that fun, and it's also "beatable" You can explore the whole world, kill all the bosses, and get all the items and best armor in about a week. 

Kind of a letdown.

#13 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
I wouldn't recommend this game. It's not that fun, and it's also "beatable" You can explore the whole world, kill all the bosses, and get all the items and best armor in about a week.  Kind of a letdown.
They are releasing much more. The game was released a month early because of something with steam. And I find it quite fun. 
#14 Posted by JonDavis (612 posts) -
@No0b0rAmA: I'm a Mac user.
#15 Posted by Moonshadow101 (574 posts) -
@DanHammett: Misplaced platform wars aside, "Partitioning" refers to formatting your hard drive so that your system recognizes as two different drives. The reason you would want to do this here is to have Windows on one of the partitions and OSX on the other. There are plenty of guides on how to do this on the web if you want to go this route, finding one of those will serve you better than having someone try to give you a walkthrough here.
#16 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Macs are incompatible with almost every pc game there is. Unless you get steam or bootcamp. No wonder everyone who owns a mac buys an windows 7 disc bringing windows market shares even higher, due to compatibility. Yet no one building a pc will use osx. 

My point is there might be alot of compatiblity issues with macs and not every developer will make their games compatible. But some games has both windows and mac releases.

#17 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -
@JonDavis said:
@No0b0rAmA: I'm a Mac user.
I'm sorry to hear that. *puts hand on shoulder*
#18 Posted by JonDavis (612 posts) -
@jams: Also a Windows PC user. 
#19 Posted by Patman99 (1620 posts) -

My cousin plays this game on his crappy $500 bestbuy laptop without a hitch. Your computer would have to be powered by hamster wheels for the game not to run on it...

#20 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1765 posts) -
@No0b0rAmA said:
@JonDavis said:
Tehehehehe ... no offence to the original poster ... but that was pretty funny :)
#21 Edited by No0b0rAmA (1478 posts) -
@JonDavis said:

Yes, but you're also a Mac user. I don't know what your trying to say here friend.
#22 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Run Parallels, you can now play Terraria inside OSX.

You are welcome.

#23 Edited by Jams (2966 posts) -
@JonDavis said:

Funny thing is that I typed that on my Mac. I use both myself now. Just for the fact that I can see and use the differences every day and see for myself how different they really are.
#24 Posted by caityful (46 posts) -

I'd be willing to bet a Windows 2000 could give it a decent shot. Maybe 98 is pushing it... Hahah.

#25 Posted by Metalman781 (91 posts) -

Maybe if you still have Windows 3.1 it wont play it :)

#26 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

there's a demo isn't there? 

if not, you go to a fileshare website, get the game, run it, if it does, BUY IT 
 see how easy that was ? this entire discussion wasn't really needed.

#27 Posted by Xeiphyer (5611 posts) -
@DanHammett: You can use Bootcamp to run windows things on a Mac, the game *should* run fine through that. I'm sure a quick google of something like "Terraria mac bootcamp" will tell you yes or no.
#28 Posted by mrv321 (254 posts) -

I run Linux, I have to partition without the use of a GUI.

Linux>PC>MAC

Also, you should be able to run this game just fine... heck the computer in Minecraft could probably run it.

#29 Posted by JammyJesus (771 posts) -

@Droop said:

Boot camp, yo.

This.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.