Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Terraria

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released May 16, 2011

The first major 2D entry into the world of "open world" sandbox action-adventure games, Terraria is inspired by 16-bit platformers and allows players to mine for ores, craft new equipment, and fight monstrous bosses in a large procedurally-generated world.

Multiplayeeeeer.

Sedasys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Sedasys

When this comes out, anyone feel like playing some MP? There's a Giant Bomb server for Minecraft, we could make one for Terraria as well if/when it becomes as popular. Well, kinda, the worlds do end and all, but y'know. It'd be fun until it runs out.
    But I digress, who's up for this?

flashdim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By flashdim

Oh hells yeah, I'd love to also.  Apparently the map sizes are going to be a BIG determining factor, though - the maps are preloaded into memory and stay there.  I could throw one onto a VM super-easy, but bandwidth for me is always an issue when hosting locally.  Apparently Windows is the only option we know of so far for OS, too.

Do you know a good Windows VPS host?  I haven't researched them or picked one out yet, since I just use linode for my SS13 host.  I kinda wanna migrate my Minecraft server there too, but $$$.
    Sedasys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sedasys

I have absolutely no idea, unfortunately. Me and some friends are hosting a Minecraft server on Fragnet, but I don't think you can have just straight up servers there, they're game specific.
    Large maps are about 3 miles long, aren't they? I think that's what Redigit said in one of his LPs, though watching PBat's it looks a bit smaller.
    Also, I think you and I are the only Giant Bombers who really seem to care about Terraria. <.<

flashdim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By flashdim

Yyyyeah I think it might be a little soon for people to be excited about it.  Maybe once it hits the wild.  

Blue mentioned adding "Massive" maps that would maybe take up to a gig of memory.  Yeep.  Renting one of those is like...$30-$40/month.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic

never heard of this before! added to the 2011 releases thread, thanks.

Sedasys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sedasys
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Good to know :D
    There's some LP's by the makers of the game on youtube, PBat's done quite a few too, Yogscast have done like 3 but they aren't very good.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Sedasys said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic: Good to know :DThere's some LP's by the makers of the game on youtube, PBat's done quite a few too, Yogscast have done like 3 but they aren't very good. "
    My only issue is that they refuse to let anyone know a release date...they ignore Twitter questions about it and all that. I am excited for this. 
    Sedasys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sedasys
    @The_Laughing_Man: They're not refusing to let anyone know a release date, they're unsure. They still have to set up a load of anti-hacking and account stuff before they can release it. They ignore the Twitter questions because it's on the FAQ on the website, which they apparently have to say over and over. The release date that they're hoping for could be any time next week right up to the end of July.
    flashdim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By flashdim

Yeah, as angry as fans get at a lack of information, they get much worse when they're given WRONG information.  I can wait on the release date :P

ScribbleN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ScribbleN

Now that it's out and I've played it, I can say I'd totally be up for this if someone wants to make an official server. Also it seems like items stay with you in this between single player and multiplayer, so until we have a server, we can play without feeling like we're wasting time!

Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vision
    @ScribbleN: You can also buy a Piggy Bag from the merchant, which is like a chest that follows you across worlds.

I unfortunately can't run a 24/7 dedicated server, else I would.
    endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By endless_void

Make the server on tunngle.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Sayishere

Totally interested, not bought the game yet, will do in a couple of days

you can add me

sayishere = steam
    Shadowsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shadowsquire

I've got a server I can use. I just need to install windows 7 or a windows 7 VM on it because terraria crashes in a win server environment.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Im checking this game out more, the inclusion of crazy monsters and lightsaber-esque swords in a manageable 2D environment are ticking my boxes right now. I'll probably get it.

Shadowsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Shadowsquire
    @Sedasys
    @flashdim
    @ScribbleN
    @Vision
    @endless_void
    @Sayishere
    @markini6: 
    Hurrah! Server is finally up now! Replied to all you guys because if you guys are still  into the game, I'm sure you wanted to know.
    You can connect at:   shadowsquire.no-ip.org  
    Password is:   banana 
    This is a fresh map so everything is completely new, and I'll probably drop off a bunch of dirt/stone near the spawn from my old map to get everyone started on their houses.
    Any issues, either: 
    A)Add me on steam _nephilim_ 
    B)Email me at shadowsquire@gmail.com 
    C)Message me here on Giantbomb
    Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vision

I made us a house with some stuff. :)  (Such as a hellforge)

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Sayishere
    @Shadowsquire said:
    @Sedasys
    @flashdim
    @ScribbleN
    @Vision
    @endless_void
    @Sayishere
    @markini6: 
    Hurrah! Server is finally up now! Replied to all you guys because if you guys are still  into the game, I'm sure you wanted to know.
    You can connect at:   shadowsquire.no-ip.org  
    Password is:   banana This is a fresh map so everything is completely new, and I'll probably drop off a bunch of dirt/stone near the spawn from my old map to get everyone started on their houses.Any issues, either: A)Add me on steam _nephilim_ B)Email me at shadowsquire@gmail.com C)Message me here on Giantbomb
    very cool, i will check this server out today
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By floodiastus

server didnt work, I guess you need the IP numbers or something ? My accept button was greyed out

Metalman781

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Metalman781

cool a server that isnt destroyed, I also added you on steam. my steam id is : CaptStabbin781

Shadowsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Shadowsquire
    @floodiastus: no that should work fine. You sure you're updated to the latest version? Old versions can't use hostnames.  
    On the other hand, just try again. I forgot that windows 7 is stupid and sets the power options to put the computer to sleep after 30 minutes. Soooooooo thats why people got disconnected if they played last night. There shouldn't be anymore d/cs though.
    DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DeviantJoker

I'll hop in and help people out. If anyone wants to go dungeon crawling or beat up on some bosses, I'm always game for that. See you server side! Quick question - what size is the map? I'm assuming Large but just wanted to ask.

Shadowsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Shadowsquire
    @DeviantJoker: Yeah it's large. If the rumoured "Massive" map size ever comes out we could possibly switch to that too if large becomes not so large.
    DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DeviantJoker

Made a public treasury atop the main spawn point. Should be rather obvious as its the Green House with the multiple Treasure Chests! Enjoy duders!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.