OFFICIAL Hosting and Joining Thread

#1 Posted by KarlHungus (125 posts) -

I thought it would be a good idea to have an official multiplayer thread. If you want to host, just put your IP in a post, and maybe what your current in-game goal is.
My IP is:  99.1.3.14
password: giantbomb
I am currently trying to explore underground gather ore and build up my home and inventory.
Hosting as of 7:20 PST 5/23
I am leaving for dinner soon, but I will leave the server running as much as possible.

#2 Posted by gerp (193 posts) -

I'm down ill get on it right now see if anyones there 

#3 Posted by FraggingRights (85 posts) -

Looking to join in on the multiplayer action. Are you still hosting that room from time-to-time?

#4 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2512 posts) -

I guess since this is the official thread, I should post the other two Giantbomb servers that go up from time to time from that other thread:

Azrai's Server -
IP: 76.126.196.196
Password: 123

Coomb's Server -
IP: 70.66.154.114
Password: bombers

Neither of then are 24/7, but they've been up a decent amount of the time.

#5 Posted by mracoon (4972 posts) -

Anyone have a server up and running now? I tried both of those above and I couldn't connect. I've been playing the single player for a couple of hours now and I'd like to see how it plays in multiplayer.

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Am I correct in thinking that I need to open two clients of Terraria, have one run the multiplayer stuff and join with the other?
And then I can share my IP so people can join it?

I have very bad luck/experience with setting these things up, some tips would be appreciated!
 (This also seemed like the thread for it, if not, meh :( )

#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
Am I correct in thinking that I need to open two clients of Terraria, have one run the multiplayer stuff and join with the other? And then I can share my IP so people can join it?  I have very bad luck/experience with setting these things up, some tips would be appreciated!  (This also seemed like the thread for it, if not, meh :( )
Wait for them to implement the steam servers. 
#8 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man
Tell me more, if you can.
#9 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
@The_Laughing_Man:  Tell me more, if you can.
Its one of the promissed features. Steam side hosting. 
#10 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man
 Oh, well should I expect it to happen not anytime soon?
The buzz is now and it would suck to have to wait so long.
#11 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
@The_Laughing_Man:   Oh, well should I expect it to happen not anytime soon? The buzz is now and it would suck to have to wait so long.
The game was supposed to get full retail release in June. So maybe soon
#12 Edited by Mikemcn (6998 posts) -

I had no luck connecting directly to someone's IP. I've been using Hamachi to host a server, just download it, get your friends to connect to the hamachi network you create, host a game of terraria, and use the hamachi IP your given to have people connect. It worked for me and a few friends. 

#13 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man
Thanks for the info!

@Mikemcn
That was my second option, gonna try! Thanks!
#14 Posted by DeviantJoker (398 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
Definitely looking forward to this. I co-op'd it with one of my friends and I feel we've got basically to the end-point prior to digging into a Dungeon - far as Weaponry, Tools,, Accessories and Armor. On a Small map, it is way easy (but still fun!) to burn and achieve what it is needed. I look forward to scaling through large maps with Giant-Bombers!
#15 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@DeviantJoker said:
@The_Laughing_Man said:
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
Definitely looking forward to this. I co-op'd it with one of my friends and I feel we've got basically to the end-point prior to digging into a Dungeon - far as Weaponry, Tools,, Accessories and Armor. On a Small map, it is way easy (but still fun!) to burn and achieve what it is needed. I look forward to scaling through large maps with Giant-Bombers!
Did you see the under forest? What about floating islands? 
#16 Posted by DeviantJoker (398 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said: 
Yes and yes. Like I said, I am pretty current up to delving into the Dungeon. I don't have a full set of Molten Armour (only the Helm coupled with the Shadow Scalemail + Greaves), but I have upgraded the Enchanted Boomerang --> Flamarang and have Blade of Grass which I am satisfied with. I could collect the Hellstone Bars needed... that's just a matter of time for the full set of Molten Armour. 

I'm more interested in scaling the biomes and world others. I've noticed the game ramps up it's difficulty with more players around. Single-player I only faced 3-4 Fire Imps when going into the Underworld - but with my buddy there were easily 6 Imps and 1 - 2 Skeleton Snakes. It was much more intense.
#17 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@DeviantJoker said:
@The_Laughing_Man said: 
Yes and yes. Like I said, I am pretty current up to delving into the Dungeon. I don't have a full set of Molten Armour (only the Helm coupled with the Shadow Scalemail + Greaves), but I have upgraded the Enchanted Boomerang --> Flamarang and have Blade of Grass which I am satisfied with. I could collect the Hellstone Bars needed... that's just a matter of time for the full set of Molten Armour.  I'm more interested in scaling the biomes and world others. I've noticed the game ramps up it's difficulty with more players around. Single-player I only faced 3-4 Fire Imps when going into the Underworld - but with my buddy there were easily 6 Imps and 1 - 2 Skeleton Snakes. It was much more intense.
They said it was released a month early. So I hope within this next month we will get all this new stuff. 
#18 Posted by markini6 (447 posts) -

People might find this site useful that lists Terraria servers (or rather, some of them). However, I haven't been able to join any of them yet though.

#19 Posted by KarlHungus (125 posts) -

Oh Wow I didn;t know this thread was active again. Ill be sure to start hosting again now that I know people want it. Same info as original post.

#20 Edited by Shadowsquire (362 posts) -

Hey everyone. Sorry it took me so long, but as soon as I get these updates installed, my server will be up 24/7. I'm starting a new map so everything is fresh! Feel free to do whatever you want, just please don't grief or steal from other people. 
You can connect at: shadowsquire.no-ip.org 
Password is: banana 

EDIT: Server is done updates and is now up and will be up 24/7! Any problems with the server, shoot me a PM or email me at shadowsquire@gmail.com

#21 Posted by KarlHungus (125 posts) -
@Shadowsquire: That's awesome man. A GB-exclusive(ish) Terraria server! THANKS!
#22 Edited by ElCount (71 posts) -

placed some community chests on the server that Shadowsquire set up to help out lower level players 

#23 Edited by Shadowsquire (362 posts) -

Okay... Apparently there was an update overnight that makes it so that you have to host AND play at the same time. Sooooo I created a player called Admin that will sit in front of the piggybank doing absolutely nothing except stare into the depths of your soul! 

EDIT: Nevermind. I found out theres now a console version of the server. That should improve performance slightly and the creepy Admin dude doesn't need to stand guard infront of the piggybank 24/7.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.